Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Greatest Christmas Movie in History Turned 30 This Week
Quote | Reply
I'm talking about Die Hard, the greatest Christmas movie in the history of everything. It was based off a novel entitled "Nothing Lasts Forever," which was itself a sequel to Roderick Thorpe's "The Detective" (which was made into a movie as well, starring Frank Sinatra as the titular detective).

Thorpe dreamed up (literally, in this case) the sequel when he fell asleep watching the Irwin Allen disaster epic "The Towering Inferno." By that time, Sinatra was too old to reprise the role, so the character's name was changed from "John Leland" to "John McClane" by the producers, who then offered the part to Arnold Schwarzenegger. He turned it down, and the rest is history, especially for Bruce Willis and Alan Rickman, both of whom became international stars as a result. :-)

One funny thing is that the original script didn't call for Rickman's Hans Gruber character to even meet Willis' McClane until the movie's final scene. But common sense took hold among the producers, writers and director (John McTiernan... a seriously good action movie auteur ;-) -- because it would have been INSANE IN THE MEMBRANE for the hero and the villain never to have a face-to-face confrontation with each other until that last scene, where McClane finally sorts out Gruber and co. in order to save his estranged wife, Holly Gennaro McClane.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: The Greatest Christmas Movie in History Turned 30 This Week [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come on man, spoiler alert!

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: The Greatest Christmas Movie in History Turned 30 This Week [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justgeorge wrote:
Come on man, spoiler alert!

My bad! ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: The Greatest Christmas Movie in History Turned 30 This Week [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not Elf?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rented a movie theater for my company holiday party and had people nominate and then vote for what they wanted to see.

A Christmas Story won easily the first two years so we took it off the ballot.

Elf, won the next two years. Home alone after that.

Die Hard did make it to the voting stage several times even though it was rate R
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's what I told my boys (then 10 & 12) when I had them watch it last Xmas. They thought it was pretty cool.

Do you also acknowledge "How to make gravy" as the greatest Xmas song? (20 years old this year).

There's sure as hell no-one in here I want to fight
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i thought you'd say apocalypse now. altho after doing the math that movie's getting ready to turn 40. how time flies.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: The Greatest Christmas Movie in History Turned 30 This Week [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i thought you'd say apocalypse now. altho after doing the math that movie's getting ready to turn 40. how time flies.

"How time flies..."

I said that yesterday myself, as I headed out the door for a short run, my legs reminding me just how fast time does, indeed, fly. ;-)

As to the films under discussion, Apocalypse Now is a cinematic tour de force. Die Hard is a great Christmas movie. The greatest, in fact.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Slowman wrote:

"How time flies..."

I said that yesterday myself, as I headed out the door for a short run, my legs reminding me just how fast time does, indeed, fly. ;-)

As to the films under discussion, Apocalypse Now is a cinematic tour de force. Die Hard is a great Christmas movie. The greatest, in fact.

charlie don't xmas.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw spoiler alert so I won't finish reading the initial post. Best Christmas movie ever, yes. How come they don't make movies like that anymore?

And Alan Rickman, in several movies the sexiest bad guy, ever.
Last edited by: madonebug: Jul 14, 18 9:48
Quote Reply
Re: The Greatest Christmas Movie in History Turned 30 This Week [madonebug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great little cinematic find - watching the classic BBC version of Smiley's People, ca. 1980 production, in the second episode, a very young Alan Rickman plays a hotel front desk clerk to whom George Smiley, played eminently by Alec Guinness, hands a package. It's a fun little moment seeing Hans Gruber in a monkey suit behind a hotel desk. Everyone had to start somewhere.
Quote Reply
Re: The Greatest Christmas Movie in History Turned 30 This Week [globetrotterjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I checked that out, wow so young. Wish I could have seen him do theatre. Truly was a superb actor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Planes Trains and Automobiles. Better than Die Hard.

Love Actually.

It’s Christmas Charlie Brown

How the Grinch...

And Die Hard is not a Christmas movie.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: The Greatest Christmas Movie in History Turned 30 This Week [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

And Die Hard is not a Christmas movie.

Bruce Willis agrees with you.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you mean Roadhouse.
Quote Reply