Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Scott Plasma 5 Owners - need your feedback pls.
Quote | Reply
 
Thinking about making the switch to a Plasma 5 from my Felt IA.

I cant really test ride one or even look at one at a store, since they dont keep those kinds of bikes around on display. Wondering for those of ya who own/have owned one;

- what do you like?

- what do you hate?

- what seems to break all the time or its annoying how it was designed?

- anything else worth mentioning?

Thanks!

3toronto Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Owners - need your feedback pls. [CBass@3toronto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW, my Scott Plasma 5 is currently getting assembled by my trusty bike mechanic and will replace my IA2.
Decision time for me happened when one of my aerobar mounts broke, luckily was on the indoor trainer and hence no harm done but if it would have been on the road it could have been chaos and pain. I have upgraded to the V3 mounts but still have lost the trust in the bike.
Am speccing my Plasma 5 out with a combo of ultegra and DA Di2, zipp 70 mm ski bend bars, pioneer dual sided power meter on a 170mm new version DA crank. Should be ready in a week or so.
I love the look of the bike and so far love the integrated BTA style hydration.
Sorry can't tell you much more yet, but if it rides as good as it looks and as good as it makes me feel about it already, then I will be super happy.



CBass@3toronto wrote:

Thinking about making the switch to a Plasma 5 from my Felt IA.

I cant really test ride one or even look at one at a store, since they dont keep those kinds of bikes around on display. Wondering for those of ya who own/have owned one;

- what do you like?

- what do you hate?

- what seems to break all the time or its annoying how it was designed?

- anything else worth mentioning?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Owners - need your feedback pls. [CBass@3toronto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one and love the bike. I won't be switching frames any time soon.

Like:
-BTA integrated hydration with a super easy fill spot; it's really simple to take off and clean
-integrated nutrition
-you can get the D2Z custom storage box for spares, CO2, etc for above the BB
-it has a fairly wide range for the fit if you get the right size
-brakes are easy to access
-super stiff but it seems most super bikes are nowadays
-the seat post has a huge fore-aft range

Dislike:
-you can't get the arm rests super close together if you like narrow pads
-cabling the bike is a pain but you can hide 95% of the cables even if it isn't wireless
-parts seem to be harder to come by if something breaks or you crash

I would definitely get a fit before you buy one if you decide to. I'm 6' and ride a medium that is completely slammed. It seems like they run pretty big in size. Also, I think it would be hard to pack all your nutrition in the bento box for a full Ironman. I've never done a full so I don't know for sure.

I haven't had anything brake brake or any annoyances with it other than when I crashed but that's expected. The only other pain is packing and shipping the bike. I just got eTap to make breaking down and building back up easier.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Owners - need your feedback pls. [pbnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info - how bout in terms of size for you? (since you're doing the same type of geometry swap)

are you going to the same size frame on the Scott? or do you have to size up/down ? very curious about this actually.

Quote:
FWIW, my Scott Plasma 5 is currently getting assembled by my trusty bike mechanic and will replace my IA2.
Decision time for me happened when one of my aerobar mounts broke, luckily was on the indoor trainer and hence no harm done but if it would have been on the road it could have been chaos and pain. I have upgraded to the V3 mounts but still have lost the trust in the bike.
Am speccing my Plasma 5 out with a combo of ultegra and DA Di2, zipp 70 mm ski bend bars, pioneer dual sided power meter on a 170mm new version DA crank. Should be ready in a week or so.
I love the look of the bike and so far love the integrated BTA style hydration.
Sorry can't tell you much more yet, but if it rides as good as it looks and as good as it makes me feel about it already, then I will be super happy.

3toronto Triathlon
Last edited by: CBass@3toronto: Jul 13, 18 6:44
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Owners - need your feedback pls. [CBass@3toronto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went for a similar size, ride a 58 felt ia2, went with the large Scott which is a 57. Can’t say for another few weeks whether that was the right call or not!!
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Owners - need your feedback pls. [CBass@3toronto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you will be using Di2, The position of the junction box is key when the bike is put together. To me the 2 most convenient places are inside the bento box, or hiding under the seat.

Recently the piece that holds the rear derailleur to the frame broke, that piece has to be ordered from Scott, and it takes time.
As others mentioned get the right size it runs big, I am 5-7 and the Small barely fits me.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Owners - need your feedback pls. [anibalplay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anibalplay wrote:
If you will be using Di2, The position of the junction box is key when the bike is put together. To me the 2 most convenient places are inside the bento box, or hiding under the seat.

Recently the piece that holds the rear derailleur to the frame broke, that piece has to be ordered from Scott, and it takes time.
As others mentioned get the right size it runs big, I am 5-7 and the Small barely fits me.


I'm 5'8" / 155lbs and are riding a 51 in the Felt IA1 with 55mm stack.

The deal I'm looking at is for a 51 plasma, so I dont have much choice. So wondering if the geometry might work

3toronto Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Owners - need your feedback pls. [CBass@3toronto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I Love my Scott Plasma 5 (Di2). Only 1 (BIG) complain.
To travel with this bike, is a really pain in the ass.
the only bag that fits my Plasma, is the Scicon, and 2x I had terrible experience with.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Owners - need your feedback pls. [CBass@3toronto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The hard part is getting a flat back while aero. I am not that flexible so it does not matter to me that much. Scott also has a TT stem, but eliminates the use of the front hydration system.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Owners - need your feedback pls. [CBass@3toronto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CBass@3toronto wrote:
anibalplay wrote:
If you will be using Di2, The position of the junction box is key when the bike is put together. To me the 2 most convenient places are inside the bento box, or hiding under the seat.

Recently the piece that holds the rear derailleur to the frame broke, that piece has to be ordered from Scott, and it takes time.
As others mentioned get the right size it runs big, I am 5-7 and the Small barely fits me.



I'm 5'8" / 155lbs and are riding a 51 in the Felt IA1 with 55mm stack.

The deal I'm looking at is for a 51 plasma, so I dont have much choice. So wondering if the geometry might work

I really love my Plasma. The front hydration is the best integrated solution I've ever seen/used. It's easy to put on, easy to take off, easy to clean, easy to fill while riding in aero, and it's held solid in place, no rattles. The bento is a good size – plenty big for all my calories in a 70.3 though not big enough for everything I'd need in a a full. Not sure any single bento would be big enough for a full though. The brakes are surprisingly easy to work on for being so hidden. I imagine the build is difficult (my Di2 junction box is under the seat) so you'll want to have a good mechanic build it for you.

I did change a few things out over the first season I had it:
• I did not like the stock Profile T5. They were too short and too shallow. I needed something longer and wanted something that would give me a higher hand position. After trying Zipp Evo70, Evo110, and some Redshift ski bends I went with the Redshift and I love them.
• I initially thought the stock F35 pads were fine, but they don't have many position options and I've always preferred pads with more curve to them. When Profile started selling their Ergo armrests I ordered a pair and I absolutely love them. I feel more solid/stable riding aero and the Ergo armrests have many more position options so you can fine tune your reach and how narrow (or wide) your arms are much better.
• I was running a Stages power meter so I swapped the Ultegra rear brake for a TriRig Omega X. It was super easy to swap and works great. I've since switched to a P2M NGeco so I could go back to the Ultegra but I've stayed with the Omega X.

Potential downsides to the Plasma:
• Even with the Ergo armrests the front end doesn't have as much reach adjustment as some other bikes. You can find ways to give yourself more reach if you need it – the Ergo's help, and you can swap the left/right brackets – but with only one stem option that allows you to use the front hydration you're still going to be more limited than on a bike with more stem options.
• You can't tilt the extensions. Technically Drag2Zero has a work around, but it's overpriced (like their storage box) and I think requires you to also purchase their armrests. A tilt kit from Profile Design would be awesome.
• I wish it had a draft box for a spare kit like the Speed Concept, QR, BMC, Premier, etc. have. I usually use an X-lab aeropouch but a dedicated draft box would be nice.
• It's a reasonably tall bike so check your fit with their prescriber. I'm 6'2" with long legs and a short torso and the size large is great for me (pad x/y 510 and 670) but you'll want to be sure of your fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Owners - need your feedback pls. [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:
A tilt kit from Profile Design would be awesome.

The basebar can't handle a tilt kit. It's fine with the original bracket but the tilting one that is arriving this month for the Aeria 1 bar puts more load on the basebar. So it is prohibited to use the Evo bracket on a Plasma5.


Connect - Velogic Fit l Facebook l Twitter
Or - Speedtheory l Facebook l Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Owners - need your feedback pls. [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everything has been said, its a well thought bike and I'm perfectly happy with it.

I would add two things : Cables are a bit annoying to install, and the aero drink has a major issue in my opinion.
If you look at the way its done, when you use it enough times it'll start leaking. Its held in place by a plastic part that glides into a metal holder, litle by litle removing it and putting back in place cuts the plastic. And this litle botle is stupidly pricey to replace.

I would add that I bought mine used, that the previous owner was obviously not caring a lot about his bike, but even though everything was rusted because of seawatter, I was able to save the bike and it works great, especialy the brakes which still work/adjust perfectly. I think its a proof that it was built to last.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Owners - need your feedback pls. [CBass@3toronto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m 6’0” and on a large. I came from a 2007 P2 56.
I went Etap 1x
The Etap box is in the bento. I ran all the cables through the bars. It’s a complete test of patience and there are some tricks to it. I had to set it down and come back to it a few times.

People have covered most of the major ones likes and dislikes.

I find the rear brake to have a lot of flex when you really grab a lot of brake lever (meaning it doesn’t stop that great).

The bento box is pretty cheap plastic. I’ve hit it a few times with various body parts and it actually came off (screws were still tight in the frame). It’s held on with some washers now. You can get another for $30 so I have one ready.

The bike is an absolute blast to ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Owners - need your feedback pls. [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have just seen the tilt kit at Profile Design's website and I fail to see how that kit will put more load on the base bar. It sounds like an excuse related to commercial agreements / intellectual property between Scott and Profile Design. Or perhaps because Scott is not willing to fund the minimum testing to ensure that it is secure.

My version of the Plasma has two metal shafts that go inside the base bar at each side. The bolts that hold the brackets go through the shaft and make the assembly pretty sturdy.

Unless there is convincing evidence I think I am going to give it a go and test it on my Plasma.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Owners - need your feedback pls. [CBass@3toronto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disclaimer i don t have one.

If i wanted one i had to wait 9 freaking months for a scott plasma. They are rare in my opinion so i think spare parts wil be hard to come by. Other then that its a b*tching bike.

Bought a speed concept and never looked back.

Shame on you scott
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Owners - need your feedback pls. [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t think it’s a base bar load issue. The tilt kit on the aeria ultimate has curved risers that match a curve on the basebar (of the ultimate). The basebar on the Plasma doesn’t have the same curve, so the curved risers simply don’t fit with it. At least I’m pretty sure that’s the fundamental problem.

I’m slammed on my Plasma 5 anyway, so a tilt kit wouldn’t do me any good. I’ve got a set of ski bends I really like that give me as much rise as I want and put me in a real comfortable position, so I’m all good anyway. Still, lack of tilt is a drawback.

**Edit: sorry, I didn’t realize PD has come out with the evo bracket kit, which is what you were talking about. And you’re right, it’s a bummer the evo bracket isn’t approved for the Plasma 5 base bar.
Last edited by: Northy: Mar 10, 19 20:46
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Owners - need your feedback pls. [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
I have just seen the tilt kit at Profile Design's website and I fail to see how that kit will put more load on the base bar. It sounds like an excuse related to commercial agreements / intellectual property between Scott and Profile Design. Or perhaps because Scott is not willing to fund the minimum testing to ensure that it is secure.

The basebar broke during PD standard testing with that bracket, nothing to do with commercial/IP.


Connect - Velogic Fit l Facebook l Twitter
Or - Speedtheory l Facebook l Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Owners - need your feedback pls. [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How exhaustive was that test? Could it be a defective base bar? There is nothing in the design that would suggest that there is any additional load on the base bar, at least nothing that is significant.

The standard bracket is attached in exactly the same way to the base bar and I fail to see how the tilting mechanism that goes above can exert any additional stress to the base bar. But maybe I am missing something.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Owners - need your feedback pls. [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
How exhaustive was that test? Could it be a defective base bar? There is nothing in the design that would suggest that there is any additional load on the base bar, at least nothing that is significant.

Multiple bars. The bracket mount area is quite different between a PD Aeria 1 basebar and Scott TT4 which is why there is a different result.
PD testing is to a higher level than ISO - ISO is static weight, PD is dynamic loading with higher masses. This is based on the experience of making more aerobars than anyone else and learning from mistakes along the way. The TT4 basebar combined with the Evo bracket doesn't meet the standard so PD can't endorse that usage.


Connect - Velogic Fit l Facebook l Twitter
Or - Speedtheory l Facebook l Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Owners - need your feedback pls. [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks very much for the input!
I guess this is because the surfaces don't match as somebody pointed out. Right? If that is the case I guess that is something that can be fixed as part of a garage project, although PD can't endorse as it hasn't gone through their testing.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Owners - need your feedback pls. [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Surfaces are fine - both the Aeria 1 and Scott TT4 bars have flat interfaces 100mm apart with 28mm bolt spacing.
The Aeria Ultimate has a curved surface, spaced at 135mm and variable bolt spacing. It is a totally different beast - that bracket design was the first thing I consulted to PD on.

The wall of the bar is much thicker on the PD Aeria 1 than the Scott TT4. The TT4 was finely engineered for a particular use case to keep the weight down. The Aeria 1 has more leeway to adopt the bracket it wasn't originally designed for. As do the Parlee and BMC basebars.

Still working on whether it possible to define safe usage parameters for the tilt bracket with the TT4 but I'm afraid that is a lower priority than some other projects given the initial failures.


Connect - Velogic Fit l Facebook l Twitter
Or - Speedtheory l Facebook l Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Owners - need your feedback pls. [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did some research and found that for whatever reason my Plasma 5 came with a different base bar. Actually, I bought the bike from an Orica Green Edge mechanic so it might be a prototype or maybe Scott changed the base bar at some point.

Regular base bars have two bolts that attach to the clamp from underneath the bar. My bar has the same two bolts, but it has a metal piece underneath the bar and two cylinders that make it virtually impossible for the bar to collapse because the walls are thin.

I am attaching some pictures.







Is this the bar that you tested? In case it wasn't, and without any compromise or commitment from your side and just eye balling. Does it look safe to run the tilt clamps?
Last edited by: ecce-homo: Apr 6, 19 14:15
Quote Reply