Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vacation before a 70.3
Quote | Reply
I'm racing Waco 70.3 on Oct. 28, but will be in Italy with the wife for our anniversary from Oct. 11-21. I can run while there pretty much any morning, but i'm curious on others opinion on how much I should run. Last time I was gone that long, I tried to run every other day and it seemed pretty effective to prevent too much fitness loss.

For reference, I've done plenty of 70.3's and fulls, so I'm not worried about the distance, and I have no delusions of a PR after taking a couple years not training seriously, so I'm just racing for the sake of racing again. That said, I also don't want to be in any more pain than is necessary, as I am in no way in my best shape ever for a 70.3.
Last edited by: HoustonAg: Jul 10, 18 14:17
Quote Reply
Re: Vacation before a 70.3 [HoustonAg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would run the same amount as you are currently running now
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey there, I'm in the same situation. I'll be in the backwoods of Kenora, Ontario with no bike access, or pool access for 10 days before a 70.3. I plan on running often with frequency & swimming in the Winnipeg River, then kayaking as much as I can. I'll have an entiere 5 days before my 70.3 when I get back, so conerned about the bike for sure. That said, eating well and consistency can stave off some of the loss of fitness. Do what you can & don't use *vacation* terms as an excuse to let it all go. Not much else beyond that--it's a roll of the dice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No idea but don’t prioritize Waco, Texas over Italy!

Run when you can and run hills for some strength. Eat, drink, and enjoy.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Re: Vacation before a 70.3 [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely not. That said, my morning runs the last time we went to Italy are still some of my favorite runs I’ve ever done. At a minimum I usually run every other day on vacation to prevent vacation weight, I’m just trying to figure out if should increase that even more to prevent fitness loss. Most likely I’ll just do every other day and whatever happens at Waco, happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in Peru at Machu Picchu for ten days a week before IM Wisconsin 70.3 earlier this spring. Only ran once during the vacation but hiked quite a bit each day, it was my only workout. I didn’t lose much fitness at all and had a good race up in Madison. You’ll be just fine at your race, best of luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Vacation before a 70.3 [Scottyren] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very similar situation as me and my fiance before our first 70.3. 10 straight days of backpacking in the swiss alps and then came home and raced Raleigh 70.3 five days after I got back. Its hard to say what kind of fitness if any we lost since it was our first but with the hiking we weren't too worried. And I qualified for worlds so it couldn't have been too bad!

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the 10 days preceding the event you should taper. I usually swim a few times, hard, short tempo. I also do short fast tempo runs. No biking the week of the event as I want my legs loose and ready for a thrashing on race day.

I’d be more concerned about overdoing it in terms of activity and travel. Tapering means rest and reduction of activity level. You don’t want to go in mentally or physically fatigued.
Quote Reply