Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I rode the new Steelhead 70.3 course Sunday
Quote | Reply
Nice - a few changes from the past but the roads were all good. Right near the end there were 3-4 big holes but I would hope they will fill those in.

I had an 11/23 on a 50/34 and was fine. I could have pushed a 10 cog on a few of the down hills. Most of the route is on Blue Star Hwy almost an out and back with a short circle to get the miles and avoid a section without shoulder. You need to use the down hills on the first half. Nice apron on the sides of the roads. The turn around has you spend some time under the trees on a bike path and then back on Blue Star all the way back. The return felt like a long slow up hill but maybe I was tired.

I only made one bad turn out on the eastern circle (for an extra 10 miles) but I'm sure the course will be well marked.

There are two long up hill sections about 8 miles out nice marked with notes about how hard you are suffering :-).

It should be. fast course.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Re: I rode the new Steelhead 70.3 course Sunday [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you liked the new course! Will be interesting to see how fast Starky goes this year! Z
Quote Reply
Re: I rode the new Steelhead 70.3 course Sunday [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven’t ridden it yet, too lazy to drive 20 minutes to the start, but why the course change? I really enjoyed the non-Blue Star section and felt much safer on training rides without out-of-towners whipping by at 60mph.

Quote Reply
Re: I rode the new Steelhead 70.3 course Sunday [JesseR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Three reasons for the bike course change - #1 Safety - the new course does not go east of M-140 and then back west across M-140. Both of those intersections had lots of vehicles crossing between the bikes. #2 - Traffic - with the new course, vehicles going north and south can use M-140 and not be "stopped" by cyclists on the course. This will also allow this traffic to stay off the new course as it heads north and south on Blue Star Hwy. #3 - Better roads! Look forward to seeing you at the race. Z
Quote Reply
Re: I rode the new Steelhead 70.3 course Sunday [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I loved the old course but think this will be an improvement on race day.
Quote Reply
Re: I rode the new Steelhead 70.3 course Sunday [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, I totally forgot about the M-140 crossing. Yeah if traffic gets rerouted down M140 it should be fairly smooth sailing. Thanks for the insight.

Quote Reply