Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Where can I find the running shoe comparison database (old running warehouse)
Quote | Reply
I remember a while ago running warehouse had a tool to help you find comparable running shoes based on fit. I.e., you could plug in two pairs of shoes and it would say shoe A has more room in the toe box, but shoe B has less heel to to drop.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Where can I find the running shoe comparison database (old running warehouse) [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can just ask me.

(I've been working on, for years, a database for such a thing that improves on this function. But it's hard to translate my knowledge into specs for SQL queries.)

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Where can I find the running shoe comparison database (old running warehouse) [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've switched between Brooks Pure shoes (LOVED some of the early gen models) to Saucony Kinavara 7's and 8's to settling with the Hoka Tracer 1st gen. I just ordered two pairs of Altra (Escalante and One V3). I'm curious if the Tracers have a slightly more narrow toe box than these other shoes. I'm assuming the Altras (known for being wide), but idk about the Brooks. The reason I ask is because I burned through the outside of the toe box on both pairs. Roughly 500 miles on each set. I've had it happen to one pair of Brooks T7 flats, but not the Saucony Kinavaras I've used.

Also, seems like my Saucony Type A's are suffering from the same thing. I happen to run on the outside of my feet and wonder if the Altra's will be beneficial or detrimental to someone like me.

Quote Reply
Re: Where can I find the running shoe comparison database (old running warehouse) [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Tracer is going to be a touch narrower. However, there's more of the bonded material in the upper on the lateral side of the foot, which may either be something that bothers you -or- something that prevents your foot from blowing out that lateral side.

The Altras definitely have room in there - be sure to size up about a half size as they run short. I don't think they'll hurt the issue here.

I would also be curious if you're actually in the right size shoe (most of us will run into this specific issue when we don't size our run shoes with arch length as a consideration) as well as what you're using for a sock to blow through an upper like that.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think what you are thinking of was Shoefitr. They would do 2D and 3D scans of shoes so you could then compare overlays between different brands or sizes

It was a super awesome tool and made buying shoes online so much easier. In 2005 Amazon purchased the company and then put a bastardized and useless version of it on their website for a little while then killed it off. I'm still bitter about it....

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
I remember a while ago running warehouse had a tool to help you find comparable running shoes based on fit. I.e., you could plug in two pairs of shoes and it would say shoe A has more room in the toe box, but shoe B has less heel to to drop.

Are you talking about Shoefitr? It didn't show heel-toe drop, but you could compare the fit of a shoe to one you already wear and it would show in 3D where the shoe was bigger, smaller, or the same. Unfortunately, Amazon bought them out and then proceeded not to use the technology. What a waste, it was a great tool.
Quote Reply
Re: Where can I find the running shoe comparison database (old running warehouse) [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. I didn't know if they actually got around to using it.

Quote Reply
Re: Where can I find the running shoe comparison database (old running warehouse) [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runner's World occasionally includes similar polygon heatmaps in their buyer's guide issues, but they perpetually show 97% green with just a hint of lime green near the toe box. In other words, pretty close to completely useless. That may not have been generated by Shoefitr, but there is just no comparison to trying on shoes and going for a run. ...which I understand sort of defeats the convenience of online shopping.
Quote Reply