Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me find shoes for my WIDE feet.
Quote | Reply
I am a small guy at 5'7" and 140 pounds with a 9.5 double wide foot. I have the worst time finding shoes that don't crush my feet. My shoe of choice for a long time were Saucony ride 7 and ride 8 both in wide. I would love to say it was a nice compromise between cushioning and speed, but in reality it was the only shoe in 3 running stores that was comfortable. Obviously these stores do not carry wide in everything and not all manufacturers even make a wide. I also run in New Balance Leaville v3 wide for trail running.

Saucony changed the design of the ride line and now they are way too skinny. I have a single pair of ride 7s left in the box so it's time to find a new shoe.

I'm an 1:30 1/2 marathoner and a 19 minute 5k runner. I'd love a high mileage trainer AND a race shoe as I top out at Olympic distance with NO IM aspirations. Am I stuck trying to find a new balance shoe that works? They have a pretty prolific wide selection but I just don't jive well with their fit.

TL;DR Please help me find a shoe for my flipper... I mean very wide foot.

EDIT: Neutral runner with no special cushioning needs and low arches.
Last edited by: BuildingSpeed: Jul 10, 18 7:31
Quote Reply
Re: Help me find shoes for my WIDE feet. [BuildingSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to run in NB, 11-4E shoes. I switched a few years back when many of the local stores stopped stocking (or had severely limited stocks of) NB. I switched to Asics GT-1000. I know the GT-2000 is also available in 4E widths.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Saucony Triumph is available in wide---they work for my flippers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 6'2 184 lbs with a size 12 extra wide. I have what people call "Flintstone or Hobbit" feet.

The Cloud Running shoes are the only ones that fit me for some reason. I have wiggle room in the toe box. Asics CRUSH my feet. Nike's are ok in some models but I have to size up most of the time. The Cloudsurfer and the Cloud fit like a glove. Didnt even give me a blister during break in.

Check those out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New Balance 880 or 1080. Same offset, similar ride quality, wider fit.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
topo athletic

altra running
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
might also try the brooks ghost in wide

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Help me find shoes for my WIDE feet. [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This, Brooks Ghost in wide is great. I think they make the Glycerin in wide as well.

desert dude wrote:
might also try the brooks ghost in wide
Quote Reply
Re: Help me find shoes for my WIDE feet. [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah yes. I've ran in a pair of brooks before, Ill have to go check them out!

Asics and Nikes are just not built for my feet. So much so that I've pretty much written the brands off. It would take a huge moment of desperation to even try those on again.

I'm also intrigued by these OnCloud running shoes. But are they manufactured in wides?

Someone IRL has suggested the brand 361. Does anyone have experience with them?

Honestly, if a brand doesn't offer a wide I have no interest; I can't fit into most wides as it is so there is no way I'm running a single step in a regular width shoe.

Yes, I also describe my feet as hobbit like... they're just a bit shorter!

Thank you everyone for your input! Along with a stop at the New Balance store I have a few styles I'm excited to try.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me find shoes for my WIDE feet. [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
New Balance 880 or 1080. Same offset, similar ride quality, wider fit.

1080 and 88- don’t have the same offset. 8 vs 10 resp if i recall correct....but i might be mistaken.....no i’m almost positive i’m not :-)

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Help me find shoes for my WIDE feet. [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once upon a time, they were both 8.

And if you can feel the difference in two mm worth of offset while blindfolded, I will eat my hat.

Quote Reply
Re: Help me find shoes for my WIDE feet. [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote]This, Brooks Ghost in wide is great. I think they make the Glycerin in wide as well. [/quote]

They do make the Glycerin in a wide. The ghost has a wider toebox than the glycerin to begin with and that carries over into the 2E width also

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Once upon a time, they were both 8.

And if you can feel the difference in two mm worth of offset while blindfolded, I will eat my hat.

No wayi can feel that difference although i am almost sure they never were both 8, but 880 was even 12 mm in the first iteration

Jeroen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That original 880 was a bombproof bestseller of mine. Particularly because Asics had boned up the Cumulus (again).

I'm still pissed off because the 1063 was so good, 1064 was a meh update, and then the original 1080 was a turd.

And you're right, the 880 wasn't ever 8. The 1080 went that way, but not the 880. Mixed up my 880 and 890 history.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True, that first 880 was also with us a great selling shoe, it was almost a hit every iteration. Same on the 1080, first iteration was muh, but this latest design is quite succesfull. But we have great succes with the shoes from 361 right now. The new Spire 3 ticks a lot of boxes although quite narrow in fit. And even the wide isn’t really wide but they are very well received

Jeroen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You and Stover keep trying to convince me on 361.

I just want the original Mizuno Sayonara back. I did everything in that shoe and I miss it terribly. It's honestly the only shoe in my 13 years of industry work I can't find a replacement for.

Quote Reply