Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Combined big work outs for the week?
Quote | Reply
So I'm curious as to what everyone's thoughts are. As I prepare for Ironman Maryland the plan I am using calls for my longest run to be on Saturday and my long ride of the week to be on Sunday. However there are some weekends we're family stuff has been getting in the way and I've been forced to combo them up into a large brick. There's a potential for that again this weekend where I'm to do a 12-mile run and a 60-mile ride how bad do you think that'll screw me up for training the following week.
Quote Reply
Re: Combined big work outs for the week? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Caveat: I do Oly not IM, so maybe this applies, maybe not. YMMV.

I find that bricks "take a lot out of me". Even if I feel okay immediately after (like I did this weekend)...the next day, or the day after (like today) are pretty sub-par. And, I don't brick my long ride / long run. In fact, I shorten my short run when I brick it with my long ride. My Saturday brick was 40mi + 5k.

If I bricked my long/long on Saturday, I'd be shelled through Wednesday, maybe longer. It would screw up all my swims, and my threshold bike for sure---not worth it for a single run. My running is all BarryP style, so I'd probably make it through. But, they would be a sufferfest for sure.

If I were faced with your problem, I'd try to move the long run somewhere mid-week (even Friday) and brick a smaller run with the ride. If I couldn't do that, I'd shorten the run to something more reasonable to brick with the ride and just not do a "long run" this week. Not optimal, but...a short run is better than no run...and, not blowing up the entire next week is better than....

Also, I'm old (49) and recovery limited.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jul 9, 18 16:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As with a lot of this stuff..I think it kind of depends...

a 60 mile ride/12 mile run brick does not sound crazy for IM training....although you are still a fair amount of time away from Maryland....It kind of depends on the intensity of each leg. If you ride and run easy I think the recovery would be pretty fast but if you hammer it you are basically doing a 1/2 IM and it might wreck you for a few days.

I have found I get better results with higher quality workouts and a bit of separation between them. Esp if they are key workouts

I think many people do the long run/ride on weekends because we are busy at work and such during the week. Can you move either to Friday or Monday? A 12 mile run is less than a 2 hour workout for most folks......

just my 0.02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about doing the run on a Wednesday, bike on Saturday then take Sunday off and get back to training on Monday?
Quote Reply
Re: Combined big work outs for the week? [SteveCoz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveCoz wrote:

a 60 mile ride/12 mile run brick does not sound crazy for IM training....although you are still a fair amount of time away from Maryland....It kind of depends on the intensity of each leg. If you ride and run easy I think the recovery would be pretty fast but if you hammer it you are basically doing a 1/2 IM and it might wreck you for a few days.

I have found I get better results with higher quality workouts and a bit of separation between them. Esp if they are key workouts

I think many people do the long run/ride on weekends because we are busy at work and such during the week. Can you move either to Friday or Monday? A 12 mile run is less than a 2 hour workout for most folks......

just my 0.02

I could move one of the two workouts to Friday evening after work however it would mean a trainer ride only if it was the ride and a run by myself if it was the run as I have a partner who I can run with Saturday morning. And 60 miles on the trainer gets boring no matter what's on TV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
SteveCoz wrote:

just my 0.02

I could move one of the two workouts to Friday evening after work however it would mean a trainer ride only if it was the ride and a run by myself if it was the run as I have a partner who I can run with Saturday morning. And 60 miles on the trainer gets boring no matter what's on TV

So sounds like Friday solo run is the better option.....good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure you have a run somewhere in the middle of the week. Just move your long run to mid-week, Really you are talking about tacking on another 30-45' onto your planned workout time, and voila. Tuesday or Wednesday long run. No need to do the massive brick sunday.
Quote Reply
Re: Combined big work outs for the week? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
How about doing the run on a Wednesday, bike on Saturday then take Sunday off and get back to training on Monday?

^^This. By moving your long run to Wednesday afternoon you accomplish a number of things, first off your weekend is freed up, next by running in the afternoon you are most likely running in the heat of the day simulating race day conditions, third your recovery time is enhanced.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Combined big work outs for the week? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

I agree with jaretj, stack too much too close together, you'll be shelled & have less quality on the second one. You don't need an insurmountable weekend to get the benefit. Recovery will just take too long & make even the shortest workouts a PITA to make it through. Not to mention lessening your immune system by beating up on energy levels. Add in the summer heat to that distance...recipe for breaking yourself.
Quote Reply