Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I followed BarryP/DesertDude/Fleck's advice for a few years. Here's the result: short Muskoka RR
Quote | Reply
I've gone from Tri to Duathlon to Running, and finally back to multisport, and the collective ST wisdom has basically been my coach. So here's a PSA that this advice worked for me, a random chump with no athletic background!

DesertDude- "Full Ass Challenge," or something of that moniker. Basically, run 50 miles a week for four months.
BarryP- run program. Run more, run often, run easy.
Fleck- learn how to race shorter distances before moving up to HIM and full.

The last couple years I particularly followed Fleck's advice. I trained for longer duathlons, but also tried to set PR's for OLY tri's. Finally, I decided to have another go at HIM, and did Muskoka yesterday (my very first WTC race!). Miniature race report below.

Swim- 33:xx. I know, still working on the swimming! My number one goal was to find feet to draft. It just never happened! After the first couple hundred yards, I felt the group was WAY to the outside, and I never found a handful of people to swim with. So, solo swim all the way. With the up-stream portion, I was happy.

T1- in, out, no nonsense.

Bike- 2:28:xx. Fairly uneventful. I initially felt very comfortable at 85% power, kept everything even on the hills, and plugged away. After the turnaround, there was a good stretch riding back into a headwind, and I was happy to finally make the turn north for the last stretch. I was feeling fairly fatigued for the final hills, so backed off the last 15 minutes a bit, to hopefully save something for the run. AP- 214. NP- 449 (which means NOTHING, since I had two 6000+ spikes from these god damn Vector 3's!).

T2- short and quick.

Run- 1:21:xx. I had done several long brick workouts at race pace, but never felt quite as fatigued after the ride, so I was curious how things would go. I was following HR, and the first three miles seemed fast. But after the turn around, I realized the there was a tailwind the whole time- coming back was a little slower! I was grasping a bit on the second loop- slowed down at every aid station for water and coke, and tried to keep moving. By this point, everyone was on the run course, and I really had no idea who (or where) was in my AG. Worst part was Mother Nature- around Mile 8, she said, "it's time for the porta potty." I pleaded her to shut up for a little longer, but by Mile 10, she said, "Porta potty NOW, or your Finisher Pix will have shit on them." So, lost 45-50 seconds there, and then slugged out a few more miles. Finished in 4:25:something

I was happy with the experience- WTC does put on a good race. I really wanted to go to Nice next year, but passed up the spot because the timing doesn't work with a new job. I think my previous half PR was just under 5 hours, so I'll consider this race a step in the right direction. Thanks to the aforementioned bearers of good wisdom!
Quote Reply
Re: I followed BarryP/DesertDude/Fleck's advice for a few years. Here's the result: short Muskoka RR [bltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nicely done! What is your easy run pace in training?
Quote Reply
Re: I followed BarryP/DesertDude/Fleck's advice for a few years. Here's the result: short Muskoka RR [bltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well done sir. I'm also curious about your training paces. Where did you start and what are they now?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went back and found the original thread from deserrdude with that challenge. In that thread it says he’ll have another challenge later in the season (or probably more likely at the beginning of the season) where it’ll be appropriate. Anyone have a link to that thread as well?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! 4:25 is a very good time on that course and that's a big jump from where you were.
Quote Reply
Re: I followed BarryP/DesertDude/Fleck's advice for a few years. Here's the result: short Muskoka RR [Petrarch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was running 6X per week (for duathlon and run training), it was 7:15-7:30 "all day" pace.

I trained for the half this year using HR, and Z1 stuff has been 6:50-ish. Only ran 4X per week though.
Quote Reply
Re: I followed BarryP/DesertDude/Fleck's advice for a few years. Here's the result: short Muskoka RR [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure about paces when I first started triathlon, since I didn't use a GPS watch. I'm pretty sure, though, my HIM times were 1:37 ish. Now, for multisport, it's mostly Z1 running with one weekly tempo run (Z2, usually low 6's).
Quote Reply
Re: I followed BarryP/DesertDude/Fleck's advice for a few years. Here's the result: short Muskoka RR [Kaywould] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sadly I never got around to that second thread, best of intentions gone astray.

To the OP: Nice job!!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply