Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How windy is too windy for a disc ?
Quote | Reply
I have recently purchased a disc wheel that I have been using in our local triathlons. We have had some windy conditions recently and everyone is amazed I have been using the disc and thinks I am mad. But despite the wind I have had no problems controlling my bike, it doesn't seem to make a big difference to the handling. But it did make me wonder, would the disc be slowing me down in windy conditions ? Would I be better off with a conventional aero back wheel ? And at what point should I use it ?
Quote Reply
Re: How windy is too windy for a disc ? [Blacky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The windier it is, from any angle, the more of an advantage the disc provides. It is too windy to use a disc when you can't controll your bike when using it. For me, like you it sounds, that is never.

Scott
Quote Reply
Around 35knots [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I have ridden in conditions too scary for my disk and 35 knots starts getting hairy. I think a shallow rim on the front in big winds will help more than disk or no on the back. Aloha G
Quote Reply
Re: Around 35knots [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is exactly what John Cobb said at the "Science of Speed" conference at Kona last year. Better to run a shallow front rim and a disc than a deep wheel set like 404s or HED3s. In the end it all comes down to your degree of confidence with your bike handling skills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By the time is too windy for a disk, two other things will also happen.

Everyone else, even those with shallow rims will be having a very hard time controlling their bike.

The race officials will have a near impossible time pulling off the race since everything will be blown away. The swim would more than likely get cancelled.

Disks rule!

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only once. Tried a training ride one time on a super windy day near hurricane day. Disc on rear and Hed Jet 60 on front. Was going over a high bridge and a gust almost blew me into the guard rail. My riding buddies were on normal rims and they felt the wind also, but not as much trouble as I was having.

The disc isn't a problem except in really sever conditions. Your body weight is also a factor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with Smartin's comment. There is a sail effect.

I am 6 foot even and weigh just about 155. My race day set up is on 909's. I always use my ZIPP 404 up front. In the past, I've raced on a couple different wheel sets...or shall I say rear wheels. The first was a 404 rear, which was fast, second was a HED3 thatI borrowed for two races, (which I could not really tell a noticable difference) and finally the 909 disc which I got last season. The disc is notably faster. I was a little nervous about using this disc in the wind, but I learned that if you can handle the bike properly, wind should work to your benefit for sure with a disc. If you are a decent rider, I don't think that there is any reason NOT to run a disc. It's all crap when people say that a disc shouldn't be used in the wind. If you can handle it, you'll be faster. Since I got my disc, my other rear wheels have been collecting dust. I'll run the disc on hilly courses and windy days. It's just faster.

My opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is so much "myth" about it being too windy for a disc. The irony of it is, when some "know it all" says, "A disc can create problems in a crosswind" they have probably never even tried it.

Basically it boils down to your bike handling skills. I don;t thik a disc compromises handling much even in a fairly gusty wind. One post in this thread mentioned 35 "knots" as an upper limit. Well, I agree, but bear in mind it is difficult to WALK at 40 knots sustained wind. It is difficult to ride any bike withh any wheel at 35 knots, that is nearly 40 mph.

For almost all reasonable wind and weather conditions, and some unreasonable ones, a disc is the best choice IMO.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's too windy for a disc, then it is plain to windy to ride. Your front wheel choice should be dictated by the winds. But a disc rear really is not a factor in the wind, and it even helps. I think the front wheel should be of more concern than the rear wheel, in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Windy in Hawaii Tom [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, I am not too sure where you ride, but we get 25-35mph trades a couple days a week. (That is why the kiters and windsurfers love the place) I think I can pretty much handle 30-40 mph on my road bike, but 35 knots is pretty dicy on the disc is why I mentioned that number. Sustained winds and gusts ar two different cats.

Sustained winds make you go home and cry to momma, because they suck the life out of you. Gusts knock you around and cause real problems with the light weight crew. I think you are right as to the myth factor though, most folks really don't know their limits on windy days. Aloha G
Quote Reply