Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Have I stuffed my 2014 Cervelo P3???
Quote | Reply
Help.....
I had to send in my usual triathlon bike to the shop to get some work done on it so brought out my 2014 Cervelo P3 to use on the trainer. I hardly use this bike as I originally brought it for a race I was going to be doing overseas where I was likely to leave the bike behind with my family for use later on.
Anyway, I was making a tweak to the saddle height, I don't know why I screwed it up, have been a wrench head all my life, but anyway, somehow managed to start to tighten the seat post clamp bolt rather than loosen it.
I only started to turn it less than a quarter of a turn then heard a horrible ping, something had given way.
Basically it appears that the insert that the bolt goes into, which is embedded in the frame, must have come loose. I can screw into it but as soon as I need to apply more than a little bit of torque it just loosens off. Either that or I have stripped the insert.
Is this terminal or is there something I can do to fix it??
I was enjoying the position of the P3, it felt great and comfortable and I would be gutted if I have screwed my frame.
FYI-I brought this frame secondhand but almost new, so I think that means I don't have the Cervelo warranty.
Quote Reply
Re: Have I stuffed my 2014 Cervelo P3??? [pbnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glue it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I can say is that that sucks and to make it suck even more, there is absolutely no warranty for a used Cervelo, no matter how lightly used. Sorry to be the bearer (or confirmer) of bad news.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Have I stuffed my 2014 Cervelo P3??? [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
Glue it

I was thinking of something like this, but am not quite sure how I can! The casing that the bolt screws into does not have anyway for me to get glue behind it to secure it......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pbnz wrote:
Help.....
I had to send in my usual triathlon bike to the shop to get some work done on it so brought out my 2014 Cervelo P3 to use on the trainer. I hardly use this bike as I originally brought it for a race I was going to be doing overseas where I was likely to leave the bike behind with my family for use later on.
Anyway, I was making a tweak to the saddle height, I don't know why I screwed it up, have been a wrench head all my life, but anyway, somehow managed to start to tighten the seat post clamp bolt rather than loosen it.
I only started to turn it less than a quarter of a turn then heard a horrible ping, something had given way.
Basically it appears that the insert that the bolt goes into, which is embedded in the frame, must have come loose. I can screw into it but as soon as I need to apply more than a little bit of torque it just loosens off. Either that or I have stripped the insert.
I was enjoying the position of the P3, it felt great and comfortable and I would be gutted if I have screwed my frame.
FYI-I brought this frame secondhand but almost new, so I think that means I don't have the Cervelo warranty.

Not sure you have a recourse, but having your LBS or directly contacting Cervelo is always worth a shot. I was told I had no chance of anything when I cracked my 2012 P2 frame, and they sent me a brand new P3 frame...Just sayin'.

You never know.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Have I stuffed my 2014 Cervelo P3??? [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
pbnz wrote:
Help.....

Not sure you have a recourse, but having your LBS or directly contacting Cervelo is always worth a shot. I was told I had no chance of anything when I cracked my 2012 P2 frame, and they sent me a brand new P3 frame...Just sayin'.

You never know.

Good luck.

Thanks, this is purely my fault so I kinda get that they may not help at all.
I have to say though, I was not using a torque wrench as I was playing with the seat position a bit, but definitely did not feel like it was anywhere near being over-tightened. I think it is still ridable as it has enough grip to get the seat where it needs to be, but I don't want to risk it....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you can buy a new seat post metal screw/clamp part that holds the screws - I saw it online for a P2, you have to do some google digging since it's not widely available, but that might be what you need.
Quote Reply
Re: Have I stuffed my 2014 Cervelo P3??? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I think you can buy a new seat post metal screw/clamp part that holds the screws - I saw it online for a P2, you have to do some google digging since it's not widely available, but that might be what you need.

I don't think I can-I should have taken a picture before coming to work, but I think the insert where the bolt goes into is moulded into the carbon frame from the factory during manufacturing, so I can't see how I can get to it etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm talking out of my ass here, but...... From the pictures I see of the 2014 P3, it appears to have a two part expander plug as a seatpost tightener. If this the case, there a listing from a German company that has a total replacement unit available. (Cervelo Klemmbolzen für Sattelstütze für P2/P3 - Modelle ab 2014)
https://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=8;product=137355;menu=1000,4,327;page=11

If you stripped the smaller expander part's threading, it would behave as you describe, but it is not a molded in frame part and can be replaced. I'm basing all this on my wife's S3 which has the same expander as is being offered here.
Hope this is of some use.
If not, as Lilly Tomlin used to say, "Neveeeer mind!"

Quote Reply
Re: Have I stuffed my 2014 Cervelo P3??? [trimule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimule wrote:
I'm talking out of my ass here, but...... From the pictures I see of the 2014 P3, it appears to have a two part expander plug as a seatpost tightener. If this the case, there a listing from a German company that has a total replacement unit available. (Cervelo Klemmbolzen für Sattelstütze für P2/P3 - Modelle ab 2014)
https://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=8;product=137355;menu=1000,4,327;page=11

If you stripped the smaller expander part's threading, it would behave as you describe, but it is not a molded in frame part and can be replaced. I'm basing all this on my wife's S3 which has the same expander as is being offered here.
Hope this is of some use.
If not, as Lilly Tomlin used to say, "Neveeeer mind!"

Thanks, pasted an image from google here....
Basically the two bolts go into the frame itself, it looks like the receivers are moulded into the frame and hence nothing replaceable/swappable.
I was hoping a Cervelo guru might be on here and have something positive to tell me, but looks like I have done something very few manage to do.....bugger.....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is not a 2014 P3. That is an older model.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Have I stuffed my 2014 Cervelo P3??? [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the glue it idea. If your position is unlikely to change, bond the whole thing permantly.

Quote Reply
Re: Have I stuffed my 2014 Cervelo P3??? [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
That is not a 2014 P3. That is an older model.

The paint job seems to be a 2006 model or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Ceepo has a similar seat post clamp. Mine came delaminated from the frame as well (no warranty help for me either, but that's a different story). Found a good carbon repair guy and he re-attached the receiving end in to the frame. Looks like new.

Our "plan B" was to just carbon the whole thing together and have the seat post fixed. Yes this would limit future saddle changes, but it was either that, or new bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pbnz wrote:
Basically the two bolts go into the frame itself, it looks like the receivers are moulded into the frame and hence nothing replaceable/swappable.

Are the threads stripped, or has the insert come loose? And like others have said, that isn't a 2014.
Quote Reply
Re: Have I stuffed my 2014 Cervelo P3??? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B5200
Zip Ties
Duct Tape
Credit Card

Choose 1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, the frame is "broken;" no that is not a 2014 seatpost clamp design.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a thought if the insert came loose. Drill a small hole from the side where the insert is untill you get a few aluminium shavings and not completely through. Use needle syringe to inject epoxy. Rotate insert with the bolt. Realign the hole. Fill the hole completely with epoxy.

If it's just stripped install a helicoil.