Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cam Wurf: 6 min bike power ~ 500W, 2000m row 6:09 = 450W [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm moving to Chicago in October so I may see you across the great lakes when the weather is clear. Shout all you want ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Cam Wurf: 6 min bike power ~ 500W, 2000m row 6:09 = 450W [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
I'm moving to Chicago in October so I may see you across the great lakes when the weather is clear. Shout all you want ;-)

LOL....well get on the rowing machine now! The other day I did a set of three times (7 min erg + 10 min trainer) with 1 min in between sport to change shoes (world's slowest transitions, but I wanted rest). Was trying to ride the bike at 90% of what should be my FTP and trying to row at 95% of 2K effort. The bike felt Waaaay easier so I guess I should have gone at 95% of the 20 min power to test what Cam and Rapp are saying
Quote Reply
Re: Cam Wurf: 6 min bike power ~ 500W, 2000m row 6:09 = 450W [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just preparing my for XC season though! Not like it was really popular in Florida.

That said, when rowing, how in the world do you avoid chafing where your tailbone is?! Every time I try to row a bit, even 10min, I get bad chafing.
Rowers?
Quote Reply
Re: Cam Wurf: 6 min bike power ~ 500W, 2000m row 6:09 = 450W [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
I'm just preparing my for XC season though! Not like it was really popular in Florida.

That said, when rowing, how in the world do you avoid chafing where your tailbone is?! Every time I try to row a bit, even 10min, I get bad chafing.
Rowers?

I think you are sitting on it wrong. I believe you are supposed to sit like you are on an ISM saddle and you should start with the leg engagement like you are doing a dead lift with your back arched, compress the feet away from you like you are moving the entire contraption forward and then when your legs are getting close to straight, open up but never really lock your knees and not open up past 1 O'clock....but hey, I have only been doing this a few months and just doing what guys on ST told me to do.
Quote Reply
Re: Cam Wurf: 6 min power ~ 500W, 2000m row 6:09 = 450W [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
thatzone wrote:
Out of curiosity what does rowing have to do with cycling?

Did you even read what Cam Wurf and Jordan Rapp wrote....the common element is output wattage from the human machine system. In other words...CARDIO!

A couple of Australian Olympic Gold Medallist rowers were well known for tearing up the roads in Melbourne, sitting on the front of some pretty fast bunches - James Tompkins & Drew Ginn.. in fact, Drew Ginn ended up doing some decent things as a cyclist once he retired from rowing - Oceania time trial champ if I recall correctly
Quote Reply
Re: Cam Wurf: 6 min power ~ 500W, 2000m row 6:09 = 450W [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Cam Wurf: 6 min power ~ 500W, 2000m row 6:09 = 450W [Livio Livius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope he starts nailing the non wetsuit swims, if he swims front pack in Kona he would be at T2 in 5h and could win with a 3h run. He's run sub 3 a few times now so he def has the capabilities, he just needs a good day and to start off slow on the run an not run the first 5k faster than Lange ;) He really comes off as an awesome guy, and pretty cool to be training buddies with 2 tdf winners

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev—

Fans are moving air in both erg room and bike room. Gun to my head, I’d say fans are moving more air in erg room but we’re splitting hairs. Definitely have never measured air flow. One thing for sure on Concept2 Erg or Bike Erg, never point a big enough fan right at the flywheel because it WILL effect your split/wattage. Moving air in the room is one thing but something like a Big Ass Fan pointed at your Erg will give you some juiced numbers.

How about Cam by the way? Keeps chugging along, knocking out Ironmans like they’re club cycling rides and getting a little better every time out. Fascinating stuff!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you get from 2k time on the erg to watts? Is it a formula?

I ask because when I was 16, I spent a few moths trying club crew team because a good friend was into it. My watts are lost to history, but I remember the time. I was 160 lbs and IIRC my 2k erg time got down to 6:49 (remember turning myself inside out to get under 6:50) during a test after a few months indoors before the club put the docks in and we moved to outdoors. Never took another test because I didn’t stick with the sport.

fast forward 12 years and on the bike peak 20’ is 331w at 170lbs, peak 5’ is 377.

How do those compare to my relatively raw and untrained 16 yo self? I’m fascinated by the ability to compare how i stack up after training seriously for a few years in triathlon against what innate potential (or lack) was there.
Quote Reply
Re: Cam Wurf: 6 min bike power ~ 500W, 2000m row 6:09 = 450W [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your 6:49 is bang on 330W, so you are pretty much the same as your 16 yo self
https://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/calculators/watts-calculator

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply

Prev Next