Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: crossfit games 2017: run-swim-run, cyclocross [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Can i plead bad math? And i forgot about transitions. I read this and I'm not sure what i did, but I'm guessing i mixed up the 400m free and the 500 yd free and took my 400m time....have mercy on me slowtwitch

ha! No worries! If I can be so bold as to speak on behalf of slowtwitch (that's too bold), I'd like to say that I think your plea should be enthusiastically accepted. Without speculation about the pointy end of the field, this wouldn't have turned into such an interesting discussion. We should totally be thanking you.
Quote Reply
Re: crossfit games 2017: run-swim-run, cyclocross [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
LifeTri wrote:
For me the distances are the issue here.

1.5 miles I a joke

500 meters is a joke...look at ITU...anyone can fake it for the first lap of the olympic swim. The second lap is what gets people.

Lets make them go:

1.55 (still a joke)

750 (I bet those swim times drop)

1.55 (yep, a joke)

My brother doesn't crosscut...but he works out like he does. For him, hopping on the treadmill and slamming 6 min miles and getting off and doing pull-ups, push-ups, and squats ain't no thing. He is also fit enough to do pretty well in a 10k, I would think. But extend him to 13.1...thats when he will start to have issues.

i think long distance folk who think these sprints are jokes - are jokes themselves. can you even run faster than 7:30 for 2.5k??? that is a joke? most long course guys would not handle it. there is a reason why iron distance folk cant go back into ITU top level, as macca attempted a few years ago

When you can't go fast or don't have the guts to train hard enough to go fast, then you just go slow for a very long extended period of time and make it slightly uncomfortable to feel like you are pushing yourself ;).
Quote Reply
Re: crossfit games 2017: run-swim-run, cyclocross [WILLEATFORFOOD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WILLEATFORFOOD wrote:
zedzded wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
zedzded wrote:
RBR wrote:
WILLEATFORFOOD wrote:
imswimmer328 wrote:
ITU guys would be a lot faster than that. I could do sub 20 i bet and I'm certainly nowhere near them.

What would your splits be? How long are you giving yourself for transitions? If you're running 4:50s, and doing 30 seconds of transitions, that means you'll be banging out a 4:59 on that 500 meter swim... A 5 flat for the swim (in meters) probably works out to something like a 4:30 for yards? That's pretty aggressive on the swim! Maybe you're hitting 4:40's on the run and doing a 5:30 on the swim? I'm definitely interested in hearing the details!

Admittedly, that won't put you at the top of the triathlon pyramid, but that's certainly going to put you in some pretty good company among professional triathletes and you'll probably be within 1.5 minutes of the fastest guys (I'm guessing the absolute fastest guys can chain together 4:20's with a 5 flat... or maybe that kid from England who crushed his 10K can put together 3 4:05's and then do a 5:15 to squeeze under 18:30?).

I’m interested as well

Looking at the Commonwealth Games triathlon results from this year. The team sprint where each member swam 250m and ran 1.5km, the times for the Cross Games RSR would be:

R1 6.50
S 5.30
R2 6.50
T1/2 30

Total = 19.50

Andy Potts went 3:58 for 400 long course meters in the '96 Oly Trials, so at that time as a "pure swimmer" he prob could've gone 5:00 for 500 m in the pool; in OW, he would've been closer to 5:10, e.g. losing about 1 sec per turn. So, maybe, maybe he could go 5:30 for 500 m in OW now, slower b/c he no longer swims 100,000 m/wk. I'd say 5:30 would be the fastest that any tri person could do the 500 m, espec since it is after a fast 2.4 K run. Also, i think you're being overly generous saying the 2nd run will be same pace as 1st run, b/c running after a hard swim is pretty hard. Further, i think only 30 sec for the two trans is a bit low, but potentially doable if they have a very short dist between the runs and the swim. In sum, i think that, if they actually held this as a sanctioned event in the Oly, with the swim in the pool, i think the WR would be maybe 19:57, and breaking 20 would be very rare.

5.30/500m for the swim seems about right. Henri Schoeman, who won gold at the Commonwealth games swam the 750m at a pace that would have got 5.45 for 500m. His run was 15min for 5km.

There are a few reasons why I think standard tri splits don't give a perfect view of the speed that some of those guys are capable of over shorter distances... But most of them are tough to quantify. I'm assuming you've seen the top ITU guys accelerate away at the start as they hit the front on the swim: They're definitely going faster for ~the first 200 meters and then settling into whichever pack they've made, but it's almost always the same guys by 400 meters. That makes me think they're never doing a swim split that's totally representative of their maximal speed. Also, these guys know how to use drafting to their advantage, so I could definitely see them having an easier time going faster in an event like this than they could go in a pool.

There's a similar dynamic at play in the run. Those guys run fast for the first 400 meters to position themselves, then settle into a pace. That first 400 meters represents a much larger portion of the event in a 1.5 mile run than it does in a 10k. Additionally, Lukas Verzbicas banged out a time that was under 8:30 in high school for the 2 mile, and even at his peak I don't think he was running away from ITU folks. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that Mola could stick his nose in the wind at 4:15 pace (or lower) for something as short as 2x1.5 miles.

Finally, and most conclusively, we already know that a guy on this very thread could get under 20, and he's not even at the top of the ITU rankings!

Now that I've removed my tongue from where it'd been firmly lodged in my cheek, let me just say that I could still absolutely envision the WR getting down to sub 18:30 in an event like this, but I'd expect it to shake out as something like a 4:15 average for the run, two short (sub 30 seconds in total) transitions, and a 5:15 swim where there was a pack that was working really well together.

Nah, no WRs allow drafting, except perhaps in running where drafting is relatively inconsequential; but def not in swimming or cycling. So, if we are to envision this as WR-worthy event, i believe the runs should be done on the 400 m track to ensure acc measurement, and the swim in the 50 m Oly pool. Further, I would exclude transition times also, since that would make the WR too shaky; allow say 5 min between each segment. Sooooo, under those conditions, maybe 6:30 + 5:30 + 6:30 = 18:30 for the WR.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: crossfit games 2017: run-swim-run, cyclocross [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update: top time was 25:51 - sheesh, but not in top 40

ok too much potential talk... no doing. the challenge is set folks. we all have strava and can share. Post up your 2.4k R - 500m S - 2.4k R times. You have till end of this month

Bet: do not get under 28:45 you have to put in your signature "crossfitter's swim and run faster than me" for the rest of the year
Last edited by: synthetic: Jul 9, 18 9:12
Quote Reply
Re: crossfit games 2017: run-swim-run, cyclocross [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
LifeTri wrote:

1.5 miles I a joke

500 meters is a joke...look at ITU...anyone can fake it for the first lap of the olympic swim. The second lap is what gets people.

Lets make them go:

1.55 (still a joke)

1.55 (yep, a joke)

My brother doesn't crosscut...but he works out like he does. For him, hopping on the treadmill and slamming 6 min miles and getting off and doing pull-ups, push-ups, and squats ain't no thing. He is also fit enough to do pretty well in a 10k, I would think. But extend him to 13.1...thats when he will start to have issues.

i think long distance folk who think these sprints are jokes - are jokes themselves. can you even run faster than 7:30 for 2.5k??? that is a joke? most long course guys would not handle it. there is a reason why iron distance folk cant go back into ITU top level, as macca attempted a few years ago

I won my most recent 5k race in 17:26..Soooo yes, I can. I also recently set a HM PR of 1:24:54. Soooo yes, I can.

Now, can I bench my body weight? I have no idea...maybe not. Can I do 20 pull-ups in a row? Not a chance.
Last edited by: LifeTri: Jul 9, 18 9:35
Quote Reply
Re: crossfit games 2017: run-swim-run, cyclocross [WILLEATFORFOOD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given they are already elite in something, not a big surprise to me.

But......I'd be really curious what the pace (swim/run) and power duration curve (bike) looks like beyond these shorter bursts. The shorter end of the duration curve certainly should lend itself better to these folks than the longer end.

I don't think the picking fun of crossfitters is as relevant to the elite end (they're elite), but the more average joe "bro" end of the spectrum. The guy or gal kipping pullups at the gym and doing a "circuit" taking up 90% of the equipment so nobody else can do work.

Toss the average joe crossfitter against those events, and I think the results won't be nearly as impressive as it was for the elite bunch.
Quote Reply
Re: crossfit games 2017: run-swim-run, cyclocross [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
synthetic wrote:
LifeTri wrote:

1.5 miles I a joke

Lets make them go:

1.55 (still a joke)

1.55 (yep, a joke)

I won my most recent 5k race in 17:26..Soooo yes, I can. I also recently set a HM PR of 1:24:54. Soooo yes, I can.

Now, can I bench my body weight? I have no idea...maybe not. Can I do 20 pull-ups in a row? Not a chance.

I doubt that a 17:26 5K converts into being able to run a sub-7:30 2.5K.
Quote Reply
Re: crossfit games 2017: run-swim-run, cyclocross [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Math fail...

...face palm. I thought he was saying min per mile pace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For reference, the Aquathlon nationals last year was a run-swim-run course.. It's a regular venue for a monthly splash n dash (which is just swim-run) here in Austin.

The course was essentially 3+ 1k loops running, then 1000m swim, then just under 3 more 1k loops running (gravel path).

My garmin had 2.04mi as the first run split, and 1.74mi as the second.

The very fastest paces were about 5:30/mi on the first run, 1:14/100m on the swim, then 5:50/mi on the second run, with ~30s transitions. Top overall time was 36:45, with 13 guys 40min flat or better (age range of that group was 14-52!!). Those top paces translate roughly to to ~24:20 on the crossfit distances without any speeding up due to the shorter distances.

I think anyone in that sub-40 group could easily beat the 28min crossfit time, and this wasn't a particularly deep field (I know most of the top local long-course triathletes didn't compete, and really not a huge travel incentive just for aquathlon), and I know that a bunch of us racing weren't in peak shape, we just did the race since it was local.

So, decent triathletes would embarrass the crossfitters at this event, but then how many of them complete the other events? Here's what I found for the 2017 event list: https://games.crossfit.com/workouts/games/2017
As a former swimmer I still have solid upper body strength, but I sure as shit can't do any 100lb-dumbbell presses, let alone 20 (even though this move is the standing, leg-assist boost type of overhead press).

-----
Quote Reply
Re: crossfit games 2017: run-swim-run, cyclocross [CU427] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CU427 wrote:
Also CrossFit understands what spectators want to see and how long they can pay attention, the longer you do steady state cardio the more people you lose in your audience.

The games are part sport and part entertainment. They do well exposing a sport without boring the audience.

The youtube channel has been building up to the games for a while, with a bunch of small segments covering each age group.

I'd like to see something like that for Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: crossfit games 2017: run-swim-run, cyclocross [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Optimal_Adrian wrote:
For reference, the Aquathlon nationals last year was a run-swim-run course.. It's a regular venue for a monthly splash n dash (which is just swim-run) here in Austin.
The course was essentially 3+ 1k loops running, then 1000m swim, then just under 3 more 1k loops running (gravel path).
My garmin had 2.04mi as the first run split, and 1.74mi as the second.
The very fastest paces were about 5:30/mi on the first run, 1:14/100m on the swim, then 5:50/mi on the second run, with ~30s transitions. Top overall time was 36:45, with 13 guys 40min flat or better (age range of that group was 14-52!!). Those top paces translate roughly to to ~24:20 on the crossfit distances without any speeding up due to the shorter distances.
I think anyone in that sub-40 group could easily beat the 28min crossfit time, and this wasn't a particularly deep field (I know most of the top local long-course triathletes didn't compete, and really not a huge travel incentive just for aquathlon), and I know that a bunch of us racing weren't in peak shape, we just did the race since it was local.
So, decent triathletes would embarrass the crossfitters at this event, but then how many of them complete the other events? Here's what I found for the 2017 event list: https://games.crossfit.com/workouts/games/2017
As a former swimmer I still have solid upper body strength, but I sure as shit can't do any 100lb-dumbbell presses, let alone 20 (even though this move is the standing, leg-assist boost type of overhead press).

Adrian - Interesting, thanks for this reference info. The 14-yr old in that group sounds like budding tri guy!!! When you swam in HS and/or college, did any of your coaches have the whole team do 1650 yd swim followed by a 5K run??? They started doing this every fall at my school after i graduated. The 1650yd/1500 m swim and the 5000 m run would *seem* to be the ideal swim-run event, since the fastest times in each would be pretty close, espec with the run 2nd. Of course, most "Multi-Sport" athletes would scream that the swim was way too long. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that kid is now 15 and rapidly improving. He can beat me out of the water in the regular splash n dash series. It's motivating me to get in better shape, but I doubt I can keep up with his growth curve. He is part of a multisport team, so he could end up a really good triathlete.

We never did any specific swim-run training for swim practice. During the first month of each season, like Sept, we would run ~2x per week as part of dryland training. I can't remember the distances, but I would doubt it was ever more than a 5k, and that would have been at the start of practice, followed by 1.5-2 hrs of swimming.

I agree that the 1500/5k would be the best event as it evens out the time spent doing each sport (17-18 min for most folks close to the top end), unfortunately it seems all races are geared against swimming in order to attract the biggest fields. The Aquathlon nationals this year is only 1000m swim followed by a 5k. Plus according the race site, it should be wetsuit-legal at 73*F (which is surprising for Miami even in November).

-----
Quote Reply
Re: crossfit games 2017: run-swim-run, cyclocross [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you'll run 5 minute miles and go under 5 minutes for a 500m lake swim? that's a pretty good effort.
Quote Reply
Re: crossfit games 2017: run-swim-run, cyclocross [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Optimal_Adrian wrote:
Yeah, that kid is now 15 and rapidly improving. He can beat me out of the water in the regular splash n dash series. It's motivating me to get in better shape, but I doubt I can keep up with his growth curve. He is part of a multisport team, so he could end up a really good triathlete.

We never did any specific swim-run training for swim practice. During the first month of each season, like Sept, we would run ~2x per week as part of dryland training. I can't remember the distances, but I would doubt it was ever more than a 5k, and that would have been at the start of practice, followed by 1.5-2 hrs of swimming.

I agree that the 1500/5k would be the best event as it evens out the time spent doing each sport (17-18 min for most folks close to the top end), unfortunately it seems all races are geared against swimming in order to attract the biggest fields. The Aquathlon nationals this year is only 1000m swim followed by a 5k. Plus according the race site, it should be wetsuit-legal at 73*F (which is surprising for Miami even in November).

I don't recall how much running my team did either but it was not very much; the biggest thing i remember is that, in the "swimming alumni newsletter", the coach would often give the names of the guy and girl who were fastest in the fall swim-run event, and would sometimes give their times. I would imagine they thought it was kind of cool to get their names in the alum news. :)

Quote Reply
Re: crossfit games 2017: run-swim-run, cyclocross [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveM wrote:
CU427 wrote:
Also CrossFit understands what spectators want to see and how long they can pay attention, the longer you do steady state cardio the more people you lose in your audience.

The games are part sport and part entertainment. They do well exposing a sport without boring the audience.

The youtube channel has been building up to the games for a while, with a bunch of small segments covering each age group.

I'd like to see something like that for Kona.

Problem IMO is Kona just isn't exciting to gain new viewers. Its just swim, bike, run for extended periods of time.

Maybe Super League would be more suitable. There you have dives into water, extremely fast transitions, different formats, lots of turns an action within the races. Kona is just an hour long swim race, 4 hour bike race, and a 3 hour steady run. Few lead changes, TONS of dead time.

Production and telling a story is hard these days, you need to get people invested immediately and then keep them interested. The Kona setup is just not viable.

Don't get me wrong, NBC produces a very dramatic 1.5 hours show. But the setup and scenes are the exact same each year.

That all said, showing training for these events again is just very bland. At least with the short course races its much faster paced with a lot more action and changes.
Quote Reply
Re: crossfit games 2017: run-swim-run, cyclocross [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:

1.5 miles I a joke

Lets make them go:

1.55 (still a joke)

1.55 (yep, a joke)

So short distances are a joke?
I think your argument is a joke!

Most people modify their pace to suit the distance. This is a fairly fundamental part of all racing. Can you beat Usain Bolt over 100m? After all it's only 100m, a complete and utter joke right? Surely anyone can fake that???

I don't find their times particularly impressive, but I won't dismiss them simply because their event is not the same as mine.
Quote Reply
Re: crossfit games 2017: run-swim-run, cyclocross [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
so ...
is crossfit a WADA signatory yet?

So I watched last night and wondered if anyone else found it curious that the athletes were highly critical of "steroids." From my (obviously short) memory, the interviewed athletes were appalled by accusations of "steroid" use...even the guy who did use them. But, the question wasn't "PEDs," so I suppose a person could use HGH and other PEDs and be perfectly comfortable answering the question the way they did.

Aside: I'm not anti-CrossFit; I've liked a few workouts and watch the Games when on regular TV...but I read that some of those guys and gals have 6-8hr training days x 6 days/week. Maybe I'm a weakling, but I just don't see how that 's possible without PEDs....especially considering what CrossFit is: HEAVY weights, multiple movements involving stressed joints.
Quote Reply

Prev Next