Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Magura no longer supporting RT6...ideas?
Quote | Reply
I learned today that my Cervelo P3 with Magura RT6 TT brakes are no longer supported. While adjusting the pad spacing to swap wheels I inadvertently backed out the adjuster screw too far. Apparently the internal nut is lost inside the mechanism and the lever is now scrap. Perhaps its common knowledge, but neither Magura or Cervelo sell replacements. Cervelo customer support has confirmed this, but I have not yet heard back from Magura.

If possible, I’d rather not replace the levers, calipers and hose with a completely new setup. Any suggestions on how to save this lever or source a replacement?

Since the P5 is still being sold with these brakes, I’m surprised that there is no agreement for support at this point.
Quote Reply
Re: Magura no longer supporting RT6...ideas? [briordon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a set of Maguras RT8/6s that I just pulled off a bike as I move to the dark/disc side of the force.

I'd ship the shooting match out to you for $185.

PM me if interested.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The lever is most definitely NOT scrap. I've accidentally done this twice now.....should've learned after doing it once! But it's salvageable, though kind of a PITA to fix. It involves hammering out the 'pin' that the lever hinges on. I don't have my bike in front of me and it's been a while since I did this so I apologize that I can't be more descriptive - but if you need more help feel free to reach out. I distinctly remember calling Magura when this happened - got connected straight to one of the tech/repair guys and he helped describe the procedure. Give them a ring, I think you'll find them to be quite helpful. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Magura no longer supporting RT6...ideas? [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the quick help all!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No longer supported? The Cervelo website still shows the RT6 on the P5. Are they selling an unsupported braking system that you can't get parts for? Where are they getting them? Or is it about to be changed?

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Magura no longer supporting RT6...ideas? [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Magura site still shows the RT6 as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Magura no longer supporting RT6...ideas? [A527G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A527G wrote:
The lever is most definitely NOT scrap. I've accidentally done this twice now.....should've learned after doing it once! But it's salvageable, though kind of a PITA to fix. It involves hammering out the 'pin' that the lever hinges on. I don't have my bike in front of me and it's been a while since I did this so I apologize that I can't be more descriptive - but if you need more help feel free to reach out. I distinctly remember calling Magura when this happened - got connected straight to one of the tech/repair guys and he helped describe the procedure. Give them a ring, I think you'll find them to be quite helpful. Good luck!

I had this problem with an RT8 lever. I didn't need to hammer out the pivot pin. Instead you can push the lever beyond the quick release position, which allows you to reposition the adjuster. I picked this up from a comment at the end of an article here on Slowtwitch about installation of Magura brakes.
Quote Reply
Re: Magura no longer supporting RT6...ideas? [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m not sure how this works, but Cervelo is aware that spare parts are not available. Customer support suggested that I work with my Cervelo dealer to replace the brake system.

Magura never replied to my request for assistance, but my local Magura dealer (as referenced on their site) can’t get parts either. Luckily, I now have a full set of levers and calipers as spares.
Quote Reply
Re: Magura no longer supporting RT6...ideas? [geetee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geetee wrote:
Magura site still shows the RT6 as well.
plus Cube use them on their current tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its a bit weird situation with the Magura TT Brakes. Here in Germany (and Magura is a German company) they went on sale a couple of years ago have been sold out everywhere since then. I recently equipped my P2 with these and had to do so by buying all the spares from different retailers as individual parts and then putting it all together.

I didn't mind because the whole package of brake levers, hoses, calipers, brake pads, oil, tubing, screws etc. still turned out a little cheaper than simply buying two Tririg Brakes due to the extra cost of shipping to Europe and import taxes this would have incured.

I'd still like to know why they have been really slowly phasing out the RT6/RT8 brakes for years now without a replacement meanwhile they're still being used by at least two manufacturers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you ever get your situation resolved or replace your lever? I just stripped the brake width adjust screw in my Magura RT8 and need to replace the whole lever. I can’t find them available online and my local bike shop, Inside Out Sports, says they can’t get them from Cervélo, Magura, or anywhere else either.

Appreciate any advice....

Cheers,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Re: Magura no longer supporting RT6...ideas? [thechromedome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My bike is in the shop with the same problem. I just found out that they have to call Magura to see what they can do to fix it. I sure hope they can get the parts if needed...

Update: Magura is out of stock. Looks like I am switching back to mechanicals.
Last edited by: changums: Sep 14, 18 14:33
Quote Reply
Re: Magura no longer supporting RT6...ideas? [changums] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems the RT8 carbon fiber version is not available but the RT6 aluminum is......at least on EBay and it’s what comes on the P5 now. That kinda sucks. If I get my hands on a 6 I guess I will just spray paint them matte black so they match.

In the meantime I’m perfectly happy riding this P5 (though it’s only on loan)!

Cheers,

thechromedome
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I got a set of used levers ( found here on Slowtwitch)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What disc wheel is that?
Quote Reply
Re: Magura no longer supporting RT6...ideas? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s a Zipp Super-9 with an Enve sticker on it.

Cheers,

thechromedome
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought so...not sure how each of those companies would feel about that!! Lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meta question
I have a problem with my rear RT6 on my P5. The Flo Disc and the Flo 90 are just a smidge apart in rim width and I have been caught by surprise too many times where the rear brake has just clamped shut on my disc during a race.

So i have been toying with - a) should i try and rebleed and adjust the brake? (the pad adjust screw is backed all the way out, and still grabs my disc)
or b) in light of the fact that I cant find the RT6 kits or manuals anywhere just take it off and use a Omega?
Quote Reply
Re: Magura no longer supporting RT6...ideas? [harshc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sand/cut the pads down some. Then the screw won’t have to be backed out as far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
briordon wrote:
Yeah, I got a set of used levers ( found here on Slowtwitch)

In this vein, because I am switching back to mechanicals, I may be listing a pair of RT8s (front works fine, rear caliper is seized but can be used for parts). If anyone is interested, keep an eye out in the classifieds in the coming weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you sell your Magura brake set?
Quote Reply
Re: Magura no longer supporting RT6...ideas? [ccjaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, sold off the Magura stuff last year

Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, are your magura brakes still available?
Thank you,
Dmitriy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri-tele wrote:
Yup, sold off the Magura stuff last year

Please see the above post, except the brakes were now sold off 3 years ago.

Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply