Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Frankfurt AG Race [chrissie1993] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolute disaster. Had some internal bleeding the last few days which I hoped wouldn't affect me too much, but it was clear from the first swim stroke that I'm weaker than usual.

Swam ~5 minutes off my usual pace - started at the end of the sub-hour start and got passed by folks I should've been able to keep up with. T1 went smooth until I got to my bike and found my helmet on the ground, visor off. Reattached, flying mount, and got to work on the bike - but it was clear that I had to throw my power plan out the window because my effort and HR were sky-high. Tried my best to relieve the abdominal cramps and keep moving forwards, sure was glad of my road cycling skills because zooming through the 90-deg turns and roundabouts in aero sure made life easy. Despite riding ~18w off target power I managed to save a reasonable time.

The first half of the run felt like things were improving. I was running a conservative 5min/km pace, getting some nutrition in, the pain was subsiding. But at kilometre 28 is was over. Cramps, shakes, whatever - had to walk it home. Didn't quite expect to see a "10" on the clock at the finish, but I'll take it for a first IM - 10:39 in the end, about an hour slower than the conservative prediction. Still, had a blast, and Frankfurt is just a ridiculously cool venue. I was on the live feed with Frodeno and Lange when they passed me! What an atmosphere.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt AG Race [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a good race. Well, I had a good run, ok swim and ok ride, but ending with the good run feels like it was overall good ;-)

Everything leading up to the race was very easy. However, I grew up not too far away and have raced Frankfurt three times before. So, no hassle for me at all in terms of logistics and locations. Race day became as hot as forecasted. No clouds. But - good for the run, bad for the bike - steady wind from north (i.e. head wind for ~60% of the bike course). Overall, no unknowns and no issues - stay calm on the bike (or with your power numbers) and get water and nutrition inside plus ice outside to keep you fresh on the run (plenty aid stations with enough volunteers and supplies).

So, my swim included my first rolling start ever. I used to be a very good swimmer, but getting slower due to aging. Have been in ~10th wave. Turned out to be too far behind the front. Had to overtake or swim alone almost the whole course. Sun was a bit tricky indeed, but personally had no issues. 54 min.

Bike was tough in the beginning as it never really started rolling. Forgot how rough the cobble stones are, lost a bottle, had to switch into "ok, keep working, stay aero, don't over pace, it just takes it time" mode on the way to the first turn-around. Traffic and packs were not an issue at all in the first 50~100 AG men that I was able to see. Every penalty tent had around 2~3 guys sitting there, so referees were around and called out athletes. I also experienced that referees came to groups, watched it for a few seconds, let the motorcycle rider roar the engine, wait some more seconds if riders group them self legally and went on if they did. Fair. Similar when it got narrower or less legal on the uphill sections. Referees told us to get in line and to space legally again. Good job. No idea how it went in the main pack. However, as a good swimmer and with an avg. ride it is not much fun out there. Felt like I got overtaken endlessly. Second loop become tough. Wind picked up even more on the way north and I was not fresh anymore on the way back to town/T2. Other than that: I liked the rerouted course section better than the old one. In general, don't like the course much, but it is diverting (if that is the right term). Not fast though. Spectators were ok, but no massive crowds (which I do not mind if you get the crowds on the run. And you get them in Frankfurt. A lot!). 5:16 (184,5km / 114.5 miles)

Did not know if legs were still ok for the run. I am glad they were. Have been completely overwhelmed by the endless pack of people on the first 1/4 mile after T2. Gave me the right push. Settled in my IM pace quickly and was able to hold it more or less until almost km25. Faded a bit between km25 and 30 and was again able to hold a static pace for the last loop. Was happy to have family, friends and a lot of Eintracht Frankfurt fans (the club I race for, also a famous soccer club) around the course. Helped me to go through the pain on the last loop. Knowing what to expect from the finish chute also helped. Massive cheering on the last 200m. In general: Fast course, good aid stations, spectators all over the place, easy for family/friends to spot you 8 times on the run (plus coffee shops and restaurants right next to the course for them), great view on downtown Frankfurt, fresh breeze from the river. Worth every second you spend on the run course. 3:18 (42,0km / 26.1 miles).

AG40 / 9:37 / 9th-AG / 77th-overall / didn't take my KQ slot
Quote Reply

Prev Next