Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FTP by position
Quote | Reply
When you do your FTP testing, what position are you in? When I'm upright I put out more power than in the drops (by about 0.2 W/kg.)
Quote Reply
Re: FTP by position [thepbx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Physiologist made me stay in aero bars even though in past I did the best standing for most of it! He said I should get tested in the position I will be racing in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends what you want to use it for. My Zwift FTP from the base bars was no use when I tried to ride aero in a 10 mile TT the other week and ended up 15 watts below threshold for a 20 minute race. Which I pretty much expected.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say wherever you are strongest. Then you'll need to know what you can eventually expect if you continue to work on a weaker position.

Also, it's all about bragging rights s/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ideal is to test a train in the position you will race in. But many of us do different races some with TT bike and some without. My big event this year is a gravel race. I tested and train in my standard position. I know on my TT bike in aero position my ftp is lower so I take that into consideration when determining my target power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thepbx wrote:
When you do your FTP testing, what position are you in? When I'm upright I put out more power than in the drops

Common sense: test in the position that you will spend most of your time in during a race. Get two FTP values if necessary, one for upright and one for when you are in aero position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would test and train in the one that lets me do the most work so that I can adapt to the highest stress possible.

For racing it's just a matter of execution. Train your easy and race simulation rides in the position you will race in and find out what percent of FTP you can hold and run well afterwards.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP by position [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
thepbx wrote:
When you do your FTP testing, what position are you in? When I'm upright I put out more power than in the drops

Common sense: test in the position that you will spend most of your time in during a race. Get two FTP values if necessary, one for upright and one for when you are in aero position.

This. One FTP in TT position and one on the road bike on the hoods. Winter on the trainer uses the TT value. Summer on the road bike uses the road value. Races use the TT value because I never come out of aero under power. I've tested hoods and drops in the past. Different is within the margin of test error, plus drops are a special use position for what I do and long term power output is not important.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: FTP by position [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Common sense tells me to use the bathroom me I am going to race on

So I would then figure FTP in the position I am going to race in, on the bike I am going to race on my
Quote Reply
Re: FTP by position [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:
Common sense tells me to use the bathroom me I am going to race on

Hmm, definitely not aero.

I think there may a wide acceptance (ir if not, there should be...) that the position has a significant enough on your FTP to be measurable, particularly if you are changing from a Road Bike, where the predominant muscle use is the glutes, to TT bike where the quads have a greater effect. The upright road position will provide greater power, but is less aero. My sources (mates, rumor and hearsay) seem to suggest about 10w change in FTP.

Ideally, you'd know both if you used both bikes, but that would mean 2 FTP tests, one is bad enough.

Unfortunately, Garmins don't allow for the use of a bike specific FTP, which would be very useful - I'm about 50/50 for the use of each bike. If your using a TT bike, then doe the test in the tuck position and work from that, the time sitting upright is, or should be relatively small.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one of the trainer road podcasts a few months talked about this. their summation was TT position was roughly 70-80% of the road bike (upright) position.

after doing an ftp test in aero i pretty much lined up with that. im doing my focused training in aero only now. my guess is that will translate to an even higher road bike position ftp.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply