Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best type of runner to flee authorities
Quote | Reply
Front page article reminds me of an old discussion,what type of runner is the best to flee a police chase type situation on foot? I vote for the 400/800m type. Solid speed to establish the initial breakaway and enough endurance to maintain tempo until a safe spot can be reached.
Quote Reply
Re: Best type of runner to flee authorities [ntc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd advise being very skinny and not brown or black.
Not brown or black because it seems cops shoot a lot more than whites.
Skinny so that when they do shoot you are a smaller target.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd have to go with any of those really good parkour athletes.

edit: or steeplechase
Last edited by: spudone: Jul 3, 18 16:14
Quote Reply
Re: Best type of runner to flee authorities [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I concur, if you’re black then running might make them even more likely to shoot you. I’d say a white miler, because they’ve got decent top end leg speed, and a pretty big endurance engine to keep it up if the cop gives chase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Id say it depends on the terrain. Suburban with fences? Escaping through the woods? Needing to climb walls in an Urban landscape??? :)

I would think more of a miler, but then I just thought of a decathlete. Def. Decathlete.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ntc wrote:
Front page article reminds me of an old discussion,what type of runner is the best to flee a police chase type situation on foot? I vote for the 400/800m type. Solid speed to establish the initial breakaway and enough endurance to maintain tempo until a safe spot can be reached.

I'm gonna go with 200/400. I reckon if our suspect in this video was a 200m runner he would have got away, old copper was moving quick, but reckon he would have pulled up pretty soon. Thoughts on suspects run technique? Needs work IMO. Thoughts?

Last edited by: zedzded: Jul 3, 18 18:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ntc wrote:

Nah, track runners always end up where they started; the cops would just have to stand there and wait for you to come back around

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
'cross racer. Can run first then quickly hop on the first bike he sees, jump off, climb a fence, grab another bike, repeat until clear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, I did this just a few hours ago when the local Animal Control (AC) showed up at this big park where i run with my dogs. We were about 150 yds away from the parking lot when he pulled in so we just took off running and within 1:40 we were into the wooded section of the trail. We kept running but then saw the AC again about 9 min later, again from a safe distance and the guy was walking in the opposite direction, so we turned around and ran back to the end of the wooded part, then turned around and repeated. We did this for about an hour and AC finally went away. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, a feel like trail runner would definitely have a shot to get away, so long as he or she was in that element.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Best type of runner to flee authorities [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
ntc wrote:

I'm gonna go with 200/400. I reckon if our suspect in this video was a 200m runner he would have got away, old copper was moving quick, but reckon he would have pulled up pretty soon. Thoughts on suspects run technique? Needs work IMO. Thoughts?

I feel like I'm breaking down the All-22s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends on the country too. In the US it's easy to outrun most cops as many are obese, in Europe they tend to be a lot fitter.
Quote Reply
Re: Best type of runner to flee authorities [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriStart wrote:
It depends on the country too. In the US it's easy to outrun most cops as many are obese, in Europe they tend to be a lot fitter.

Hah! Sadly true.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Best type of runner to flee authorities [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Actually, I did this just a few hours ago when the local Animal Control (AC) showed up at this big park where i run with my dogs. We were about 150 yds away from the parking lot when he pulled in so we just took off running and within 1:40 we were into the wooded section of the trail. We kept running but then saw the AC again about 9 min later, again from a safe distance and the guy was walking in the opposite direction, so we turned around and ran back to the end of the wooded part, then turned around and repeated. We did this for about an hour and AC finally went away. :)

I don't understand why AC was interested in you and your dogs?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely some type of middle distance where you have good leg turnover/foot speed and have a good tolerance level for suffering/endurance.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriStart wrote:

No need to be in shape when you got guns. Deh run, shoot em in the back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriStart wrote:
It depends on the country too. In the US it's easy to outrun most cops as many are obese,
LOL it's funny because it's true. I remember seeing a kid in my high school in New York City outrun a cop. The cops came rushing after him but had to stop after about 100 yards and catch his breath.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Best type of runner to flee authorities [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

I'm going to assume it's because the dogs weren't on leashes.
Quote Reply
Re: Best type of runner to flee authorities [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

Because they were running off-leash and the city has a leash law. However, at this park it is long-standing practice, since at least 1975 acc to true park veterans, to let your dog(s) run off-leash. It's a pretty big city park, roughly 0.25 to 0.5 mi wide and about 1.5 mi long with a combo of big open fields for the dogs to run in and forested areas, plus the whole 1.5 mi runs along the Tennessee River so it is a great place to run with the boys, espec in the summer. Been running with my boys down there for about 12 yrs and have run from the AC about 10 times, but have gotten a ticket twice, at $119.50 per dog so $239 for my 2 dogs. I just see the occasional ticket as a "user's fee". :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello ntc and All,

An invisible runner or a runner with a jet pack ..... or an invisible runner with a jet pack.

https://www.cnn.com/...-research/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCYSWyHDpfU

Or the perp could use a robot or a hologram to flee the authorities while his physical presence is at the bar having a cold one.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Last edited by: nealhe: Jul 4, 18 13:44
Quote Reply