Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: I used to teach scuba diving.... [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
I don't hate them for trying, and maybe it would have been useful if the rescue operation had turned into something longer term. I just hate Twitter.
Isn't this akin to, 40 years ago, Musk being interviewed on the news about the contraption his team built to attempt the rescue mission? He tweeted an update about what his team was doing, I really don't understand why that's a bad thing.

Further, he diverted engineers from SpaceX projects to build this, his teams spent considerable time, energy and resources to build and test this thing. He tweeted out progress updates - hell if I were Thai gov't official or involved in the rescue in any way I'd have been following Musk from the first tweet he gave out, isn't that a great way to provide updates?

If he just showed up with a bungee cord strapped to a rocket and then tweeted out to the world 'hey guys look what I brought, aren't I great' I can understand it, but they actually spent considerable time and energy to try and help.
Quote Reply
Re: I used to teach scuba diving.... [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
spudone wrote:

I don't hate them for trying, and maybe it would have been useful if the rescue operation had turned into something longer term. I just hate Twitter.

Isn't this akin to, 40 years ago, Musk being interviewed on the news about the contraption his team built to attempt the rescue mission? He tweeted an update about what his team was doing, I really don't understand why that's a bad thing.

Further, he diverted engineers from SpaceX projects to build this, his teams spent considerable time, energy and resources to build and test this thing. He tweeted out progress updates - hell if I were Thai gov't official or involved in the rescue in any way I'd have been following Musk from the first tweet he gave out, isn't that a great way to provide updates?

If he just showed up with a bungee cord strapped to a rocket and then tweeted out to the world 'hey guys look what I brought, aren't I great' I can understand it, but they actually spent considerable time and energy to try and help.

I have a huge amount of genuine respect this guy. He's an oddball for sure so maybe he wouldn't be the life of your stag party or the guy that you'd want your sister to get involved with but he is certainly a visionary.
Quote Reply
Re: I used to teach scuba diving.... [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thailand is not a litigious society it would be a shock if anyone thought to sue the coach. In fact the families will more likely forgive him and thank him for taking care of the boys. Yeah he probably should not have taken them into the cave but they'd been there before, it was a nice day and what group of energetic young boys isn't up for a bit of adventure? He will deal with the guilt of the situation and knowing that someone died helping to save them. That will be punishment enough.
Quote Reply
Re: I used to teach scuba diving.... [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
efernand wrote:
Quote:
I don't get all the hate for Musk trying to do something to help. For once a billionaire uses his extensive resources to try to do some good and he gets a bunch of shit about "looking for the spotlight"?

No kidding. It's not like he just tossed out a bunch of ridiculous ideas. He got a bunch of his people together and actually built something. In the end it wasn't needed, and may not have worked, but he wasn't just talking out his a$$.

Stay off Twitter. It's horrible.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: I used to teach scuba diving.... [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
Would a full face mask help? That way they could breathe relatively normal and talk.

Last I heard that was one of the ideas.

I think they could get them ready in a short amount of time. Resorts usd to offer short two hour certification courses. Granted this is a much more technical “dive” but with the resources on hand I have no doubt they’ll get them out.

Leddy, you and FishyJoe called it 9 posts into this thread. I should have stopped there.

But instead I read on and listened to the experts who convinced me that it was unlikely that they would be able to bring all the boys out alive on scuba gear.

So why were the expert pessimists off base? Why didn't any of the boys panic and take out a diver with them?

I think an adult, taken off the street, is more likely than not to panic if extracted from the cave as the boys were. But the boys had spent 9 days in the dark and that had to toughen them up. Also perhaps adolescents more likely to trust the rescuers and less likely to panic.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: I used to teach scuba diving.... [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Leddy wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
Would a full face mask help? That way they could breathe relatively normal and talk.

Last I heard that was one of the ideas.

I think they could get them ready in a short amount of time. Resorts usd to offer short two hour certification courses. Granted this is a much more technical “dive” but with the resources on hand I have no doubt they’ll get them out.

Leddy, you and FishyJoe called it 9 posts into this thread. I should have stopped there.

But instead I read on and listened to the experts who convinced me that it was unlikely that they would be able to bring all the boys out alive on scuba gear.

So why were the expert pessimists off base? Why didn't any of the boys panic and take out a diver with them?

I think an adult, taken off the street, is more likely than not to panic if extracted from the cave as the boys were. But the boys had spent 9 days in the dark and that had to toughen them up. Also perhaps adolescents more likely to trust the rescuers and less likely to panic.

They wrapped them up like a burrito and sedated them.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:

I'm not sure to what level, be the boys were sedated.
Quote Reply
Re: I used to teach scuba diving.... [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
H- wrote:

I'm not sure to what level, be the boys were sedated.

And I also believe they were able to lower the water level significantly more than first thought, so reduced the time underwater compared to the time expected when the experts made their opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: I used to teach scuba diving.... [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read a couple of different diving forums, and reports have them using full face masks and they were all lightly sedated. Also, seems the max depth was 16 ft. so they were reportedly using an 80%/20% O2 mix.
Quote Reply
Re: I used to teach scuba diving.... [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Well then, credit to TooSlow who said early on:

Quote:
Dumb crazy question.... Could the kids be given tranquilizers? Then strap the kid and pull them out like cargo? That would eliminate the panic issue.

One account I read showed them wrapped in stretchers for the exit once they were out of the submerged sections. But I've not found clear reports on whether they were bundled up while submerged. Also some reports say anti-anxiety medicine, others say heavily sedated.

But before Randmart or WelchinPhilly beat me to it:

I wanna be sedated.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Quote:

Well then, credit to TooSlow who said early on:

Quote:
Dumb crazy question.... Could the kids be given tranquilizers? Then strap the kid and pull them out like cargo? That would eliminate the panic issue.

One account I read showed them wrapped in stretchers for the exit once they were out of the submerged sections. But I've not found clear reports on whether they were bundled up while submerged. Also some reports say anti-anxiety medicine, others say heavily sedated.

But before Randmart or WelchinPhilly beat me to it:

I wanna be sedated.

It is my understanding that they were stretchered for the entire rescue. Makes sense, they were weak/tired and panic is a real risk. I read that they were even ziplined over one section of particularly uneven ground.
Quote Reply
Re: I used to teach scuba diving.... [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what I've learned is that If I am stuck in a cave but have internet, I will PM FishyJoe, Leddy, and TooSlow. Those three got it right here.

________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
So what I've learned is that If I am stuck in a cave but have internet, I will PM FishyJoe, Leddy, and TooSlow. Those three got it right here.

I got your back !

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply

Prev Next