Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

six hours plus drinking (warm) Infinit/Tailwind/Roctane etc!?!?! YUCK!
Quote | Reply
Anyone get super sick of drinking warm sweet fuel during an IM? After about 4.5/5 hours I basically stop drinking except for water on the bike course. I'm literally gagging on the stuff. I'm wondering if anyone has a strategy that might give me a chance of getting my nutrition down after 4.5 hours? I do take in other food, pb&j, rice cakes, waffles, etc. But still I always have a bottle or 2 left over after my 6 to 6.5 hour ride. I'm usually walking 8 to 10 miles into the run and feeling depleted. Any ideas out there??

-Keith
Quote Reply
Re: six hours plus drinking (warm) Infinit/Tailwind/Roctane etc!?!?! YUCK! [triblaq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've found that if I concentrate my fuel (infinit) it allows me to take less sips of that, so most of the liquid I consume on the bike/run is just plain water. Similarly, gels are followed up by plain water which refreshes the palate but still gives me all of the calories and sodium I need. YMMV.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: six hours plus drinking (warm) Infinit/Tailwind/Roctane etc!?!?! YUCK! [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how concentrated are we talking? I'm using ~300 cals per bottle per hour. Do you carry water on the bike or rely on the course??
Quote Reply
Re: six hours plus drinking (warm) Infinit/Tailwind/Roctane etc!?!?! YUCK! [triblaq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I double concentrate (4 scoops/bottle) with 2 bottles BTS and 1 regular concentration BTA. Each BTS bottle has 520 calories (mix specific) so that is 1,300 calories from Infinit that I carry with me. The rest I get from gels to get me to about 1,800 cal total.

I've heard you can triple concentrate but I haven't tried it.

Anyway, this works for me because most of my liquid is just water which keeps the palate mostly fresh and prevents sugar fatigue (or whatever you call that gross feeling from inhaling too much sweet stuff).

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like too many calories to me. Infinit and the likes are designed to be an all in one race super food. Mixing that up with all the other snacks you mentioned sounds like a recipe for disaster especially if the drinks are warm. (insert gag reflex) I am guessing you are getting in over 300 cals an hour. Thats a lot over 6.5 hours IMHO. Also have an honest assessment of how many calories you are really burning per hour and how much is carb vs fat. At lower intensities there will be more fat burned than at higher intensities. And nutrition can't supplement the fat side. Again pointing to too many calories I think.

Try to simplify things. Go with only one calorie source plus maybe 2 bars as a treat. Test it out thoroughly in your training including if you expect whatever you are eating to become warm. If things are getting warm then you are getting warm which means an overall reduced intensity level and less calories needed as well as higher chances for stomach distress.

Good Luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
F2C makes an unflavored version of their endurance fuel (glycodurence). I haven't been able to try it myself, but I've heard good things about it.

My club is sponsored by F2C but i switched voluntarily even though i was independently sponsored by a different company.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep water separate from food, separate from electrolyte. I carry concentrated food source (perpetual) mixed in a flask taking a slug every 20 mins and washing down with water, aiming to drink at least 750ml of water per hour give or take. Usually keep electrolyte tablets separate and take them as needed. This way, I drink water and can easily adjust nutritional/electrolyte needs as necessary.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply