Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What are best approaches to tri training?
Quote | Reply
Hi all,
I am exploring other coach options in the Denver/Boulder area. Here are my concerns right now:

Current coach doesn't use power based training on the bike and uses HR on limited basis. I have been competing in IM, 70.3, all distances of triathlon for about 20+ years now. I train year round and am very fit (usually that is...).

I feel as though HR based training is adequate but not a slam dunk training method especially with my base of fitness.

Recently, though, I am beginning to think only way to get faster on the bike is to begin using a power meter outdoors (I currently use a Computrainer indoors) but he (coach) doesn't go for that approach to training. His approach is alot of volume and intervals based on effort (perceived exertion usually with some HR data included). I can't sell him on the idea of anything related to watts, etc. He is old-school.

I have been competing in triathlon for several years and am a MOP sometimes alittle slower athlete.

What are the best approaches to training for swimming, biking and running? I am considering ditching the coach at the end of the season and finding another one or becoming self coached with different groups to train with on the bike, run, etc. I currently train with a masters swim group. I am also considering an on-line plan but incorporating different group workouts primarily on the bike.

Thoughts?
Thanks!
KK
Last edited by: Kat_Kong: Jul 2, 18 13:40
Quote Reply
Re: What are best approaches to tri training? [Kat_Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's no hard and fast rule that a coach needs HR or power information, but I probably wouldn't pay someone who didn't want to know what sort of power/HR I was at. Just my 2c. "Bike 50mi in 2.5hr" can be very different to different people.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: What are best approaches to tri training? [Kat_Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's not right for you, dump the coach. We work too hard to not have faith in ones coach.
I love my coach, JonnyO.
PM me if you'd like.
Quote Reply
Re: What are best approaches to tri training? [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ktri wrote:
If it's not right for you, dump the coach. We work too hard to not have faith in ones coach.

I agree with this. I think there's more than one valid approach to coaching/training, but if you're not bought in to the approach your coach is using you're always going to second-guess the methods and results.
Quote Reply