Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Where do the pro's stay for Kona?
Quote | Reply
This is a dumb question but I was just reading a Sebo interview. He gets there 5 weeks before the race. I can't imagine they stay in a hotel - since that would be extremely expensive?

The surfers in Oahu - all the companies own a house at pipe - in which even the groms get to stay for free for season. Is this sort of how it works? Do they air BnB or does say Felt rent a big house and the athletes stay there or?

Not sure how that all works.
Quote Reply
Re: Where do the pro's stay for Kona? [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s probably a combination of hotel, airbnb (or similar), or home stay. There’s such a wide range of level of pros that some have 5 weeks at a 5-star hotel while others might stay at a random apartment they rent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard that Faris used to take his cardboard bike box he would fly to Kona with, and build it into a shack and live on the beach..Everyone else just rents condos on Alli drive..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few years ago we visited Kienle in his hotel room and conducted an interview, stayed at a hotel just past Huggo's. Sarah P rented a house a nice distance away. I find the rates pretty reasonable and way cheaper than Lake Placid. We rent a condo 5 miles out near the Sheraton on a golf course, with a loft, sleeps 5 for $250-280 a night??
Quote Reply
Re: Where do the humans stay for Kona? [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fixed it

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Where do the pro's stay for Kona? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I heard that Faris used to take his cardboard bike box he would fly to Kona with, and build it into a shack and live on the beach..Everyone else just rents condos on Alli drive..

Faris is my hero. I know loads of people rough camp in Hawaii, but the insects and rats... not sure I'd be able to do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monthly rentals in condos for all the athletes I was dealing with. Much more reasonable that hotels especially if you know well in advance you are going for that amount of time.

Owner of a few Speed Concepts since 2011.
Quote Reply