Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Smart Trainer Questions
Quote | Reply
I have been using a Cycleops Fluid 2 for 6 years. I really enjoy just getting on trainer and starting my workout. I am looking at Cycleops Magnus because I need a wheel based trainer because my wife has 11 speed and I have 10 speed. I am also interested doing some workouts online through Zwift, etc. My main question is can I use a smart trainer just like my fluid trainer on days that I want to do my own workout? If I want to do 3 x 10 minutes at 95% FTP with 3 minute recovery can I just get on my bike and start using my bike power meter.
Thanks Brett
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Trainer Questions [brett13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brett,

I have the CycleOps hammer and use it just for the Powermeter sometimes.
You don't have to hook it up to Zwift or an online computer program - just use a Garmin to rear the power units and you're good!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brett13 wrote:
I have been using a Cycleops Fluid 2 for 6 years. I really enjoy just getting on trainer and starting my workout. I am looking at Cycleops Magnus because I need a wheel based trainer because my wife has 11 speed and I have 10 speed. I am also interested doing some workouts online through Zwift, etc. My main question is can I use a smart trainer just like my fluid trainer on days that I want to do my own workout? If I want to do 3 x 10 minutes at 95% FTP with 3 minute recovery can I just get on my bike and start using my bike power meter.
Thanks Brett

For that workout, you have 2 options:
Put the trainer in slope mode and it will act like a dumb trainer. You shift until your power and cadence are where you want them for the interval.
Program a workout (in Zwift or others) for 3*10 @ 95%. Now, you don't need to bother with shifting. Simply pedal at whatever cadence and the trainer will dynamically adjust resistance to keep you at that power.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Trainer Questions [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it difficult to put in slope mode?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A Kickr can be used in erg mode or in 'slope' mode to work like a dumb trainer. (You can set the various slopes, to simulate % climbs.)

I used to be really into Trainerroad, Perfpro, Sufferfest erg-controlled, but I've been busier as of late and not 'sweating the small stuff' anymore given my busy life that gets in the way of training, so I keep it as simple as possible - I actually use my phone via the Kickr app to control my workouts.

I'd say 80% of the time I set it to erg mode to some desired watt level and I ride it, adjusting up or down depending on how frisky or beat down I feel.

The other 20% of the time (usually recovery rides for me), I'll put it in slope on 3-5% and ride easy in aero.

It's very easy to this via the app. You can go this route no problem and not worry about making anything inanely complicated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Magnus. When it is not connected to controlling software it acts like a magneto trainer with a light flywheel. Not the ideal setup, but usable.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brett13 wrote:
Is it difficult to put in slope mode?
That totally depends on the app you are using to control the trainer. I have never used the Cycleops app. The Wahoo app is simple. TrainerRoad is also pretty easy.
Quote Reply