Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: First time cycling in the alps, what can't I miss? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay will do! Seems like it is a good idea to work on my mechanical skills until then as well :)

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: First time cycling in the alps, what can't I miss? [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Prebooking will help to relax in the afternoon/evening compared to knocking on doors and asking for a room here and there. And you always know your goal for the day.
Quote Reply
Re: First time cycling in the alps, what can't I miss? [markko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
markko wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
oscaro wrote:
Yes I’m cycling down, but from what ive seen it’s under 2000km to Huez from Stockholm. I was planning on 200-250k/day on the way down, but maybe that’s optimistic.

If I were you, once I am through Sestriere and Finestre, head "down" towards Torino and from there I would suggest 2 options. You go up north part Milano to Como. From Como there are awesome rides, but you can head right over the St. Gotthard pass and down to St. Moritz. From St. Moritz, you can then meander through Switzerland and come up either the Ubrellpass (sp?) down to Bormio, or you can take Stelvio North Side to Bormio. Once in Bormio, you can go nuts doing Stelvio North and South side repeats till you are blue in the face and of course Gavia and Mortirolo.

Your Swiss geography is bit off, Gotthard is nowhere near St. Moritz.

Closest what I can think you'e actually meaning is Como - San Bernardino - Maloja - St. Moritz after which you can do (as I said before) Stelvio from North or do Bernina- Livigno - Foscagno - Bormio

No need to become pompous ST asshole about geography. First of all, be partially happy that I am at least slightly clued into your speck of Euro geography...you entire nation fits into tiny unnamed lakes in Canada (flipping it around I don't expect you to know the roads between Rouyn Noranda and Moosonee and all the canoe portages needed....but I digress. the route I was suggesting TO SPELL IT OUT TO YOU SINCE YOU ARE THE SWISS EXPERT is Como-Gotthard-Andermatt-Chur- St. Moritz. I suggest Gotthard because the route out of Como to get up there is pretty nice.

Any case I am sorry I am overreacting, but I kind of do when people from another country put others down for not know all the details of their geography or culture...seriously, I actually try to be partially knowedgeable about both for various countries at least slighly more so than the average North American for whom the rest of the world does not matter at all.

OK back to the thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IF you are passing through Briancon, then I would keep on going down the valley and do the Col de Vars, Col de La Bonnette--Restefond. The latter is the highest paved road in Europe and then there is a 100km downhill to the ocean. Or you can take a left over the Isola 2000/Col de la Lombard climb into Italy that way.
If you are climbing with gear, you need to really adjust for time and your rear cassette. I did it with only a 10 lb backpack and I still had to drop a couple of cogs. Weight does not really matter much most of the time, but going up those climbs, it will start to grind you.
Another side tour, as you are passing down the valley from the Galibier/Lauterets there is a climb out of Forville called the Col de Granon that climbs from 1300m to 2400m and is pretty brutal. Lemond took the Yellow jersey there for the first time in 1986.
Go through Chamonix or Annecy on the way south. Those rides are spectacular views.
Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zoncolan is the worst of those climbs you list. Super steep most of the way. Just make sure you have 1:1 gearing available for that climb.
Quote Reply
Re: First time cycling in the alps, what can't I miss? [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking of getting a 11-34 which would get me 1:1 and I should be good for the flats as well.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: First time cycling in the alps, what can't I miss? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
markko wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
oscaro wrote:
Yes I’m cycling down, but from what ive seen it’s under 2000km to Huez from Stockholm. I was planning on 200-250k/day on the way down, but maybe that’s optimistic.

If I were you, once I am through Sestriere and Finestre, head "down" towards Torino and from there I would suggest 2 options. You go up north part Milano to Como. From Como there are awesome rides, but you can head right over the St. Gotthard pass and down to St. Moritz. From St. Moritz, you can then meander through Switzerland and come up either the Ubrellpass (sp?) down to Bormio, or you can take Stelvio North Side to Bormio. Once in Bormio, you can go nuts doing Stelvio North and South side repeats till you are blue in the face and of course Gavia and Mortirolo.

Your Swiss geography is bit off, Gotthard is nowhere near St. Moritz.

Closest what I can think you'e actually meaning is Como - San Bernardino - Maloja - St. Moritz after which you can do (as I said before) Stelvio from North or do Bernina- Livigno - Foscagno - Bormio

No need to become pompous ST asshole about geography. First of all, be partially happy that I am at least slightly clued into your speck of Euro geography...you entire nation fits into tiny unnamed lakes in Canada (flipping it around I don't expect you to know the roads between Rouyn Noranda and Moosonee and all the canoe portages needed....but I digress. the route I was suggesting TO SPELL IT OUT TO YOU SINCE YOU ARE THE SWISS EXPERT is Como-Gotthard-Andermatt-Chur- St. Moritz. I suggest Gotthard because the route out of Como to get up there is pretty nice.

Any case I am sorry I am overreacting, but I kind of do when people from another country put others down for not know all the details of their geography or culture...seriously, I actually try to be partially knowedgeable about both for various countries at least slighly more so than the average North American for whom the rest of the world does not matter at all.

OK back to the thread.

Your route just omits quite a few mountain passes along the way and since those were the topic at hand I made a correction.
Quote Reply

Prev Next