Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power Meter Temperature Calibration
Quote | Reply
The past few weekends I have been seeing some odd power numbers and I am wondering if its a temperature calibration issue but I am not sure how to figure it out.

I have garmin vector 3s and a lezyne micro headunit. I can tell from the files that the headunit thermometer is off by at least 10+ C. I think its a hand position things as the temperature rises quickly during the first part of the rides from about right (~20 C) to 30+ C where it then stabilizes. The vectors have their own sensor and automatically correct for temperature so I thought the head unit wasn't a problem. But when I look back at the files the power readings seem to drift rather consistently with the temperature readings from the head unit. Overall the values are also low relative to what I would expect based on hours and hours of indoor training where I am not using the Lezyne unit.

Is it possible the Lezyne unit is taking the correct values from the pedals and then screwing with them before reporting them? What change in power number should I expect if the temperature calibration is off by 10C? I have gone through all the settings and I don't seem to be able to disable temperature recording on the Lezyne.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter Temperature Calibration [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The way ant+ works, if memory serves, is the power meter transmits and the head unit displays. So real time power is just a pass through. Averaging is done by the head unit, but they don’t adjust the power for temp.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter Temperature Calibration [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that’s right. I know stages states “active temperature compensation” so I assume all power meters do the same
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter Temperature Calibration [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
Is it possible the Lezyne unit is taking the correct values from the pedals and then screwing with them before reporting them? What change in power number should I expect if the temperature calibration is off by 10C?.

I've got a Lezyne micro, all it does is show the number as broadcast from the power meter.

I'll see the same number on the Lezyne as I do on TrainerRoad when doing a workout.
Quote Reply