Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fighting neck/vertebra pain
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Even since I started triathlon back in 2015 that I struggle with neck/vertebra pain. Let me explain, I did a Retul fit before buying my bike and chose one accordingly. Returned to the fitter for it to be setup. All ok. However, after about ~2 hours in aero, I can barely move my neck left or right. I haven't gone to docs as I have had some previously bad experiences with docs before on tri matters who know nothing about the sport and give me ibuprofen and suggest I stop training.

Also, after races pain is gone and I forget about it until the next race. Don't suffer nearly as much on long rides as I usually take it in a relaxed fashion and don't spent as long on an aggressive position.

Initially I used to describe this as neck pain but honestly the pain is not on the neck but on a vertebrae. Hard to guess but I would say its vertebrae C6 or C7 that's even tender to the touch post race. During my race in roth yesterday when it started hurting I was wondering if the problem is that my neck is not strong enough to hold my head in aero. In the end, the head in aero is held by neck muscles and the spine so I assume that if my neck is not strong enough the spine takes the hit.

Has anyone experienced this before? Have you done any neck strengthening exercises?

Paulo Matos
Quote Reply