Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

School me on PowerTap chain rings
Quote | Reply
Can you use an iPhone or is is best to get the joule plus GPS?

Any suggestions and experiences are much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on PowerTap chain rings [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't have an iphone, and thought the Joule was a piece of junk so got rid of it. I just use my Garmin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. I was wondering if they wear out like regular chainrings. They will work on my bikes but dang if I could figure out what happens at the end of the season when I have worn out the teeth. (seriously)
Quote Reply
Re: School me on PowerTap chain rings [prefersdirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, they're chainrings and wear out. Though I'm on my third road season with mine and they're not that worn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They sell replacement chain rings
Quote Reply
Re: School me on PowerTap chain rings [DrunkIrishman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrunkIrishman wrote:
They sell replacement chain rings

@$350 each? or normal price for the ring?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
prefersdirt wrote:
Hmmm. I was wondering if they wear out like regular chainrings. They will work on my bikes but dang if I could figure out what happens at the end of the season when I have worn out the teeth. (seriously)

Good point

How many miles does a chain ring last?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:
prefersdirt wrote:

Good point

So I looked at the website again. This time the answer was glaringly obvious: $199 for a replacement chainring!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a couple of sets for tri bike and road bike. Very easy to install and I have not had any issues. I just use my Garmin, but they do have an app for Apple devices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:
prefersdirt wrote:

Good point

25k? 30k? 35k? I've never used the same bike long enough to replace one. Have around 18k on my current one, I reckon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They said at one point they’ll fit a normal FSA chainring. Probably will even fit a Shimano but you’d need to do some googling.

All you need is the iPhone or android app to check C1 battery life and do a zero offset once in a while. I don’t remember the last time my offset numbers have changed though. The C1 is one of the best investments I’ve made on my bike.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: School me on PowerTap chain rings [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They work great...until you ride it under even a slight rain.

Never had a problem with then for months, then in 2017 I had a small rain during a training. Next day the powermeter was dead. Of course it was right before my A race (IM vichy).

This year again, same scenario : slight unexpected rain, next day dead powertap. And again, no powermeter for my A race.

So as long as you train in a perfectly dry environment or indoors, they work great.

My 30$ HR monitor has lived 3 years being completly soaked, even went a dozen times through the washing machine with no problem...but 10 mins of rain are enough to kill a 700$ powermeter ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is why I never considered the powertap chainrings. I don't want my powermeter so closely linked with a consumable piece of the drivetrain. It also locks you into FSA rings which I don't care for that much.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on PowerTap chain rings [strangename] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had that happen to me right before Chattanooga in 2016. The stupid PM went out. I sent it back to Powertap and they sent me a replacement. They also told me to make sure I put the seal on it properly. Since then, no issues and it's gotten wet a few times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my opinion the PowerTap changring is the best power meter on the market from a price/functionality standpoint. BUT, they need to fix the water issues killing it. I had multiple units die and had to give up, and am sort of waiting on version 2.0.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on PowerTap chain rings [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where does it leak? Should be an easy fix, although you'd think they would have done it by now.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on PowerTap chain rings [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Where does it leak? Should be an easy fix, although you'd think they would have done it by now.

I'm not sure, but I had 3 of them fail. The last one I took out of the box (from the factory), installed on my bike. Rode the trainer in the driveway and sprayed it with the garden hose, simulating rain. It died. I videoed the experience and sent it in to Powertap support.

My best guess is that water gets in where the electronics pod actually attaches to the rings somehow, and not the battery compartment.

I had a lot of good miles with mine, and was so disappointed I couldn't get it to work in the rain. I've been keeping my eye open for a fix, but haven't seen any changes reported.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on PowerTap chain rings [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's sounds like a great initial test! Although it's possible that the tech who put it together effed up the compartment seal.

If it is leaking somewhere else it seems like a liberal application of goo should do it....
Quote Reply
Re: School me on PowerTap chain rings [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:
I had that happen to me right before Chattanooga in 2016. The stupid PM went out. I sent it back to Powertap and they sent me a replacement. They also told me to make sure I put the seal on it properly. Since then, no issues and it's gotten wet a few times.

I suspected the seal was the problem, so I was particularly careful regarding that with the second unit. Its possible that I might not have perfeclty sealed the first unit, but I'm 100% confident the second one was perfectly closed when the trouble came. I didn't see any sign of humidity in the battery compartment afterward, so as other people I suspect It might be leaking somewhere else.

The unit cost must be very low if they dont care sending multiple units to every customer.

Otherwise I agree, its a great system. Such a shame it can't handle rain...
Quote Reply