Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming near Bar Harbor, ME?
Quote | Reply
Hi- I am staying in Bar Harbor, ME and then Portland for a few days. Swim options? Masters indoors? Outdoors(didn’t bring a wetsuit)?

Thanks I’m advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming near Bar Harbor, ME? [dannyweissphoto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a Y in Bar Harbor. Not sure if they have a pool, but probably. There are a bunch of Ys in Portland and surrounding towns.

Ocean temps probably are in the high 50s at this point in Maine, so maybe you can tolerate it with a wetsuit.

Lakes would be better that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spent all my summers growing up on Mount Desert. The ocean can be fairly cold but still manageable without a wetsuit but many of the lakes are great. I would avoid sand beach since it’s way too crowded and the surf can be pretty bad. However, long pond on the western part of the island or Echo Lake are good options. The YMCA in bar harbor has an ok pool if you have to swim indoors
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming near Bar Harbor, ME? [karmatraining] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karmatraining wrote:
I spent all my summers growing up on Mount Desert. The ocean can be fairly cold but still manageable without a wetsuit but many of the lakes are great. I would avoid sand beach since it’s way too crowded and the surf can be pretty bad. However, long pond on the western part of the island or Echo Lake are good options. The YMCA in bar harbor has an ok pool if you have to swim indoors

Echo Lake is my favorite spot up there! My in-laws have a place in Southwest Harbor, and we'll be heading up there in early July for five days. I imagine I'll get in at least three swims in Echo Lake while there. You do need a Nat'l park pass for parking there as it's in the park.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry can’t help with swim recommendations but your post made me think about the seven summers I spent coaching waterskiing at a kids summer camp in Wayne, ME - about an hour each from Portland, Auburn, and Augusta. I do remember the ocean being really cold though through June to September.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming near Bar Harbor, ME? [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So it looks like I have Bar Harbor covered. Any specific recommendations for Portland would be great. I think a pool is probably best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was out there last week doing some Race Director recon of our Casco Bay Islands SwimRun course. Some awesome water crossings there!

I think the more accessible swims in Portland without getting on a ferry would be East End Park and across the bridge in Cape Elizabeth the Kettle Cove was a good option and I saw lots of others swimming there too.

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply