Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

is swim progression necessary?
Quote | Reply
I am starting my base phase for my A race which is a 70.3 at the end of the year. I am following the trainer road plan and the swims seem too easy (around 1400 yd) as I have been doing 3000 - 3500 yard swims 3 times a week.

In swimming, is it as important to do a progressive build as it is with run and bike? Or can I just swim as much as I want year around?

One thing to note my intervals right now are short and fast, and as my season progresses I do longer race pace sets. So my question is more about volume rather than interval types.
Quote Reply
Re: is swim progression necessary? [connan23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do the 3000 yard swims. 1400 yards is like a warmup and warmdown.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
connan23 wrote:
I am starting my base phase for my A race which is a 70.3 at the end of the year. I am following the trainer road plan and the swims seem too easy (around 1400 yd) as I have been doing 3000 - 3500 yard swims 3 times a week.

In swimming, is it as important to do a progressive build as it is with run and bike? Or can I just swim as much as I want year around?

One thing to note my intervals right now are short and fast, and as my season progresses I do longer race pace sets. So my question is more about volume rather than interval types.

There are some really odd, shit triathlon programs out there. I've been shopping round for a cookie cutter Ironman program and some of the run volumes on these programs are just whack, like 30km - 40km a week max... 1400yd is barely a warm-up. I would look to carry on what you've been doing 3500, 3 times a week, minimum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I don’t think you need to do a progression. I find that a lot of cookie cutter plans lean towards beginners or those who are not training you’re around. That said…

What are your race goals? How strong is your swim right now? How quickly/how much does the plan ramp up? How many hours do you have to train during the week and how many hours are in the plan? What you be “giving up” (training for other disciplines, sleep, family time, work responsibilities, time in front of TV) for the additional swim volume?

Just some of the questions I would consider when implementing a pre-built plan.
Last edited by: ronbizkit: Jun 28, 18 16:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trainerroad coaches have stated their focus is to put together the best bike program for time crunched athlete. I would say this is most evident in the triathlon plans. It's not a knock on trainerroad (I love the program) but understanding how the program is tailored.

I took the liberty of modifying the runs to work more specifically on how I felt my runs needed attention. I don't deviate the bike portion (this is their expertise and why I paid $100 why would I not follow the bike program) but do feel more comfortable adjusting swim/run as needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the replies. Moral of the story is to follow trainer road bike plans to the T, but tailor the other disciplines to your personal goals, time, and abilities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes definitely only follow the bike plan. Back when I was doing the TR plan I had good success doing a brick when they have them scheduled as well, but I usually did it at a faster pace than they said and for less time.

On the swimming progression, you have the right idea mixing in more longer race pace stuff closer to the race. Also practice race take out speed, do 400s with the first 100 fast then settle in to pace. Mix in sighting 2-3x/25 as well to build up the muscles used to sight. If you don't do this and then during your race you sight 200x for HIM or 400x for IM, that will wear you out.

As far as volume, could you stretch a couple of the sessions out to 5k (year round - except for offseason, not progressing through season)? I think that would really help you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have followed the TR for a 70.3. The bike of course I followed on their workouts. For the swim and run parts I mainly followed it to determine what days I should swim and run. For the run, I thought it was a decent plan and I mostly attempted to match their described intensity for their run workouts. I followed some to a T and other times adjusted the run workout a little. Similar with the swim but I often either changed the workout completely or matched their described intensity or extended the swim. to be honest though, I'm a poor swimmer so I just make sure I get in some intensity and maintain enough swim fitness so I'm not exhausted coming of the water. I'm not committed enough to do big swim blocks to improve my swim
Quote Reply