Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advice re: vacation right before IM build
Quote | Reply
I am going on a 2 week vacation with my non-athlete husband to Italy at the end of July. This is a delayed honeymoon so the primary/only real goal of the trip is to do touristy things and to eat a lot of gelato.

My “A” race is IM FL so I don’t start my main build until I return. I am currently feeling generally fatigued but strong and in a physically good place to head into my build.

I only plan in bringing my running shoes and since any running will be done solo, I don’t want to venture very far from where we are staying.

How much fitness do you think I will lose in the 2 weeks that I am gone if I don’t train at all (taking into consideration the fact that we will be doing A LOT of walking)? Do I just use the 2 weeks as a mental/physical break? Or do you have any suggestions for some super quick run/hiit workouts that can help to maintain fitness?
Quote Reply
Re: Advice re: vacation right before IM build [swimswam1003] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Head to the pool atleast once per week and go for 2-3 runs.... then you will be set. You want loose much fitness at all. Try not to gain wheight tough. ;-)
Italy is nice for cycling tough, where are you going?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if i was doing a trip to italy ... you wouldn't be able to keep me off a bike! perhaps rent a road bike and get your hubby an e-bike to follow you around on =)
Quote Reply
Re: Advice re: vacation right before IM build [bentus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have: 2 nights in venice, 5 in rome, 2 in positano, and 2 in naples. Italy might be nice for cycling but I’m not dragging a bike and gear through 4 cities. I also don’t think it would be very nice to ditch my husband to go ride. Lol.

Do you know of any good pools? I tried looking up pools in Rome and didn’t find anything really accessible to outsiders.
Last edited by: swimswam1003: Jun 28, 18 13:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are public pools in most cities. You probably need a swim cap. You could try the piscina olympia in Rom. Should be nice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you do NOTHING, you’d lose a bit of fitness but it would come back quickly. Weight gain would be harder to shake than any potential de-training effect if you go from being actively training to just eating and drinking your way across Italy for 2 weeks.

You aren’t going to forget how to ride a bike, but I’d plan to get a good longish ride in the day before you leave and plan on one the day or day after you get back. You can try to rent a bike mid trip, but likely not worth the hassle if your husband doesn’t ride.

As others have said, might be good to sneak away to a public pool 1 or 2x on the trip or swim in the ocean. 2 weeks without swimming is a lot, at least for me. I’d backslide.

Do some strength/core/ floor circuit stuff off you tube if you are in a crunch.

And then focus on lots of EASY miles running. No HIIT required, the hills will take care of the intensity part for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you're a pro, just go and live a life. This is the only honeymoon you're going on with this person and life is more important than a triathlon that is a hobby. Italy on a honeymoon is way too fun, I went there on mine and did nothing. Honestly if you do it right you're walking so much everyday you don't really want to do anything anyway.

But you shouldn't. Go have a honeymoon. Eat, drink, explore and BONE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm as guilty as any other fitness/IM training nutball on here, BUT it's your honeymoon! Who gives a fuck about the IM or any partial fitness that may be lost (You'll be 3 months out from the race, I wouldn't stress). Hopefully this will be your first and last honeymoon. If you get a minute, go on a short run, otherwise who gives a shit about IM training, enjoy the trip!

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice re: vacation right before IM build [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just run first thing in the morning before you do other things for the day. i wouldn't even worry about swimming. running can be done anywhere and is really time efficient.

I had a big race in september once, went overseas for 2 weeks start of June, just ran a bit first thing in the morning, and probably had one of my best performances ever in the september race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a few others have suggested, walk, sight see, enjoy yourself. Steal a few runs when you can. Consider this as an extended recovery week. You will come back refreshed and ready to build. You have a lifetime of races ahead of you but only 1 chance to honeymoon.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blog: https://swimbikerunrinserepeat.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enjoy your honeymoon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in a similar situation in my buildup for IM Lake Placid, except my wife is also a runner. We went to Italy on a second honeymoon. I just did morning runs at whatever pace I felt like (or whatever my hangover permitted). Usually 6 to 13 miles, depending if the wife felt like running. It's a great way to see the sights. We did a half marathon in Florence that just happened to coincide with our trip and started in the piazza in front of our hotel. Just run early before the crowds and you can have some really enjoyable runs. Don't think about it as training; just have some fun. Running in Venice was an odd thrill running through all the little streets and bridges like a kid. If you run in Venice you have to go as early as possible to avoid the crowds. You should be able to open water swims in Positano, and it's great for hill-runs. Don't know about Naples beaches, but the islands of the coast from Naples are nice.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice re: vacation right before IM build [IL2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks (to you and everyone else). I think- in true ST fashion- I was just starting to freak myself out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too am doing Florida and my wife and I are headed to the Pacific Northwest for a ten day camping trip in the middle August.

I've had a good build thus far and am hoping to taper down for AG Nats at the beginning of August and then use the vacation as a bit of a mental break before ramping up the last build into Florida. If you think your fitness is good now, there's plenty of time in September and October to nail the long rides/runs necessary to race well at Florida in November. My plan is sprinkle in some 30-60 minute trail runs while we are out West, but other than that enjoy the vacation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've actually done this very same thing for the last 4 years before IMFL, IMMT, ITU Worlds etc. In fact I'm on vacation in Europe right now and planning to start my build for IMAZ after in mid July. Yes, you will lose some fitness but it won't affect your race in any way... 18 weeks is a LOT of time to make up any fitness you'll lose during these two weeks. Like others said, it's easy to sneak in a run early in the morning. If you have a chance to swim go for it but it's not the end of the world. Don't feel like you have to run every single day to make up for the swim/bike.. you don't have to.
The goal is to be fit in November not at the start of your build... Sounds like you already have a decent base so it's not like you won't be able to do the volume required in the first few weeks.
I took 6 weeks off swimming with a fractured hand and came back to swim 28:xx in a 70.3 less than two months later.

swimswam1003 wrote:
I am going on a 2 week vacation with my non-athlete husband to Italy at the end of July. This is a delayed honeymoon so the primary/only real goal of the trip is to do touristy things and to eat a lot of gelato.
My “A” race is IM FL so I don’t start my main build until I return. I am currently feeling generally fatigued but strong and in a physically good place to head into my build.

I only plan in bringing my running shoes and since any running will be done solo, I don’t want to venture very far from where we are staying.

How much fitness do you think I will lose in the 2 weeks that I am gone if I don’t train at all (taking into consideration the fact that we will be doing A LOT of walking)? Do I just use the 2 weeks as a mental/physical break? Or do you have any suggestions for some super quick run/hiit workouts that can help to maintain fitness?

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Advice re: vacation right before IM build [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
just run first thing in the morning before you do other things for the day. i wouldn't even worry about swimming. running can be done anywhere and is really time efficient.

^^Bingo. We went to Rome last summer and that's what I did. I didn't worry at all about swimming or riding, just got up early a few times and got in some easy runs. Rome in July is very hot and very crowded, so getting out early beats the heat is also a fun way to see some of the sights when there are no crowds (Rome isn't exactly an early rising city from what I experienced). I was back before my wife woke up so it didn't interfere with our plans at all. I haven't been to the other cities but you'll most likely do a ton of walking in Rome - we were wiped out every night. Have a blast!
Last edited by: Dgconner154: Jun 29, 18 8:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did this before my last IM. In fact, the vacation come during my build. I ran and flopped around in the ocean some. I was ok race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mostly they have fittnesscenters with bike-trainers in hotels.
Just scan the place secretly for that when you arrive (such that your husband does not notice).
If there is one, you can do e.g. intensive intervals, which will cost you a maximum of 40 minutes for the whole work-out. And is very effective. Your husband can't have anything against that.
Quote Reply