Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What shoes do you run in for Xterra?
Quote | Reply
I currently own NB Minimus Trail, which are awesome but too slow to put on in transition, and NB Gobi Trail which are OK but kind of clunky for real trail running. Looking for something in between the two - neutral, relatively low drop, not a ton of cushioning. Anyone have any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: What shoes do you run in for Xterra? [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use my normal tri shoes (Wave Sayonara from Mizuno) with speed laces. I have found no XTERRA course that demands a trail running shoe, but depending your feet, you may need more structure/support.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i used my normal running shoes. brooks Ghost with the elastic speed laces. the one xterra race ive done was someone technical, but i had no issues at all with my running shoes. had the 4th fastest run out of 62 men overall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run in the Brooks Caldera with speed laces.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on the trail. Did Tsali Xterra this past weekend and it was super muddy and slick. Went with Altra Superiors and think it was the perfect shoe for the day. If it was dry, any shoe would work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Merrel Bare Access 4 or Flex work very well on the trails for me. Easy to put on as they have a good foot entry.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The vast majority of courses, Brooks Puregrit. I can’t remember when, but I have used my PureConnects in a race or two as well but thought the lost grip wasn’t worth the minor weight penalty compared to the pretty minimal Puregrit unless the course is mostly pavement. I’ve also toyed with the idea of a spikeless XC flat, but never could get myself to risk it like that at the end of a 2 hour race.
If it were super slippery rocky, I might consider something a bit more like a Cascadia. Not sponsored by Brooks, but they’re just the line I know best and have been mostly running in for ~7 years and have never felt a strong pull to deviate.
I also used to run in Montrail Rogue Racers a long time ago, but think those are extinct.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Adizero tempo or Saucony fastwitch. Dont really go for trail specific shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These looks [retty cool for rough trails or swim/run races:

https://shopsalmingusa.com/products/salming-ot-comp-men-lava-red
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends on the trail surface. I'll switch between my Mizuno Hayate, Asics Fuji Racer and Asics Hyper-Tri.

Sometimes I need more rock protection and grip. Several years ago I used my Saucony Fastwitch for all of my Xterra races but that was before the redesign and the shoes were thicker and spongier. (sp?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive raced a ton of Xterra since 99. I almost always run in a 6-7 ounce road shoe with some tread on it. Nike Katana, etc.

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of good suggestions, thanks. I like the Brooks Puregrit and I also found some Inov-8's that look promising. I'm racing this weekend and I'm going to try my NB Gobi's with speed laces and see how it goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Altra Superior 3.0 is my favorite pair for XTERRA and trail running races. It has a nice neutral platform and plenty of cushion, but not too much to get the feel of the ground. If you look at the sole pattern, it is extremely grippy which helps on descending switchbacks. I have 3 pairs of them in various stages of wear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A pair of Montrail Fluid Flex shoes, used exclusively for racing...very light weight, good traction and ground feel.

Unfortunately somewhat discontinued.
Quote Reply