Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thoughts on Interbike in Reno
Quote | Reply
For the past 3 years, Slowtwitch Coaching has held a Cycling Power Clinic in conjunction with Interbike in Vegas. We are moving the clinic to Reno to be with Interbike. I've heard that they moved the schedule during the week to make it easier for vendor travel. I don't quite understand the move to Reno, although I'm sure it's much less expensive to host there. I can attest to Vegas being very expensive for large events. What are everyone's thoughts on Reno and a mid-week pattern?

If you'd like info on Slowtwitch Coaching Cycling Power Clinic, please visit https://www.slowtwitch.com/...%20Certification.pdf. ENTRANCE TO THE INTERBIKE EXPO IS INCLUDED! USAT Level III Ian Murray leads the instruction. USAT Coaches earn 9 USAT CEUs.

There are 5 interactive classroom presentations and 7-10 hands-on demonstrations at Interbike with industry-leading vendors. The sessions vary in length from 1 to 2 hours depending on the topic.

Clinic Locations:
Homewood Suites by Hilton Reno
5450 Kietzke Lane
Reno, NV 89511

Reno-Sparks Convention Center
4590 S Virginia Street
Reno, NV 89502

Transportation will be provided between locations.

The course is $399.

https://www.bikereg.com/...twitchcyclingpower18

Send an email to coaching@slowtwitch.com with any questions.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Interbike in Reno [STCoaching] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hot take: the mob is alive and well and wants biz to stay in nevada

Objective take: the airport is small, it's expensive in time and money to get there, it's a shitty, sprawling, car oriented community. One good thing, tahoe is close by.

Denver would have been a better choice for many.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Interbike in Reno [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:

Objective take: the airport is small, it's expensive in time and money to get there, it's a shitty, sprawling, car oriented community. One good thing, tahoe is close by.

if it was in denver i wouldn't be going. but i'll gladly go to reno because the bike riding is stupendously good. i lived there for 5 years, and i just was there again a couple of weeks ago, and it was good and has only gotten better. it's not NEARLY as shitty, sprawling and car oriented as denver, not because denver is bad, but because because denver is 3x the size.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Interbike in Reno [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will say that they have a good shuttle system set up, so getting around shouldn't be too bad. I just think if you moved to a mid-week schedule to accommodate your European vendors, perhaps a better airport or east coast location makes more sense. I thought Atlanta would be a good fit. Maybe even DC area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello STCoaching and All,

https://www.interbike.com/...nterbike-marketweek/

Excerpt:

Interbike Marketweek 2018: New Format, Days, Times

The Interbike Marketweek 2018 experience will begin with a consumer festival on Saturday, September 15th, at the Northstar California Resort, located near Lake Tahoe in the Sierra Nevada mountain range. Northstar is home to Northern California’s largest bike park with countless downhill runs, cross country trails and is accessible by gondola and chair lifts, offering an epic experience for consumers to test products from the most innovative brands in the bicycle industry. The area also boasts some of the most inspiring road rides in the world and has played host to a number of major events including the Tour of California. Racing, music, craft beer and more are planned for the two-day festival. The consumer demo will continue Sunday, September 16th through mid-day, but will transition to OutDoor Demo that afternoon and will be open only to the trade after 2 pm. OutDoor Demo will continue Monday, September 17th and will run from 8 am to 6 pm with free gondola access to all attendees.

Interbike Trade Show Opens Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Following the demo experience, the Interbike International Trade Show will take place from Tuesday, September 18th through Thursday September 20th at the Reno-Sparks Convention Center (RSCC) just south of downtown Reno. The new Tuesday through Thursday format will allow retailers and exhibitors to travel home in time for the weekend. Expo hours on Tuesday and Wednesday will be 10 am-6 pm, with Thursday being 10 am-4 pm.

The new hours will allow attendees to take part in educational content before the show opens, lessening conflict with valuable time on the show floor. Interbike will be making significant additional investments in education both in morning sessions and on the trade show floor itself. All meeting room space is adjacent to the main halls which will make participation even easier.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/...18-show#.WzQZZNJKhEY

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I'm not mistaken you dislike flying, so any place you can drive to you'll like over one that you fly to. Or maybe that was extrapolated that you dislike leaving Xantusia.

Denver on the surface _is_ atrocious (however the bike path system will deliver you out into the countryside from downtown without ever crossing a road), but also has the community, vibe, convention center space and a high country close by to facilitate many of Interbike's needs. Point, Tahoe is closer to Reno then denver's options.

The airport thing is my primary beef. RNO is a PITA to get to and spendy. DIA is a hub for 3 airlines and if you're flying from another hub, well, then you've got 4 people fighting for your dollars. I think Euros and Asian vendors would also find Denver easier.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:
If I'm not mistaken you dislike flying, so any place you can drive to you'll like over one that you fly to. Or maybe that was extrapolated that you dislike leaving Xantusia.

Denver on the surface _is_ atrocious (however the bike path system will deliver you out into the countryside from downtown without ever crossing a road), but also has the community, vibe, convention center space and a high country close by to facilitate many of Interbike's needs. Point, Tahoe is closer to Reno then denver's options.

The airport thing is my primary beef. RNO is a PITA to get to and spendy. DIA is a hub for 3 airlines and if you're flying from another hub, well, then you've got 4 people fighting for your dollars. I think Euros and Asian vendors would also find Denver easier.

i fly all the time. but if i'm going to take a bunch of stuff with me, multiple bikes, etc., then yeah, i'd rather drive. reno's a monumentally easy airport. but i'll grant you it's a few extra flight bucks than vegas, no doubt, and denver also.

that said, i'm looking right now, sept 15 thru 20. from chicago: frontier $228, american $417, united $436. from JFK it's $301 jetblue (and that's a nonstop, who knew?), $422 american, from dallas in the $300s. so, not overwhelming prices. but, most are 1 stop.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
InterBike moving to Reno is simple: Reno was the high bidder.

Larry Lahodny
Owner, Gizmo Socks
Henderson, NV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the turnout at interbike these days? I know I have a small echo chamber and they have all told me they are not going b/c the cost to value is no longer worth it.

Superfly Coaching
http://www.superflycoaching.com/eric

IL PIRATA VI GUARDA
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Interbike in Reno [turneej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turneej wrote:
What's the turnout at interbike these days? I know I have a small echo chamber and they have all told me they are not going b/c the cost to value is no longer worth it.

the turnout is good. not as big as it used to be. but i think the sort of shop that says the cost:value isn't there is the sort of shop that's just riding their industry down. interbike is always the most industry fun i have. better than kona (for me). but i always wanted it out of vegas and to either reno or SLC.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I was wondering if it is lower in numbers that factors into the move. Maybe they can save enough money in Reno w/o losing too much from people who choose not to attend cause of the location.

Re: not being worth it. What parts do you think are worth it? What's the biggest value add for a small shop? Just curious your point of view on it. Maybe for a large market like here in Chicago the value is watered down because we have access to more brands/vendors/reps etc?

Superfly Coaching
http://www.superflycoaching.com/eric

IL PIRATA VI GUARDA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coaches,
There are essentially two parts to this clinic.
  1. The classroom segments where we learn about coaching by power from the bottom up. This is a "no drop" clinic so even phenomenal triathlon coaches who know nothing about power are brought along for the whole ride. Also, the coaches who have been coaching by power for a long time...well, we open doors for them too with new info.
  2. The visits to manufacturers to see what they have that's new and impressive. As the years have rolled on the three things that this clinic has typically revealed is: lower costs....simpler use.....new manufacturers.

I'm gonna keep posting up on this thread as we confirm booth visits. The first is 4iiiis. There are some amazing stats about 4iiiis; they invented Ant+ and sold it to Garmin. They are a crank based meter than can read non-drive side or dual side. They offer two products: "Ride Ready" - buy 'em install 'em ride...and..."Factory Install" - pull your crank, send it to 4iiii, they install the meter and send it back to you. The amazing take-aways are cost (only $399), history (as inventor of Ant+), durability - they've been a sponsor of Bora Hansgroe for a couple of years and they install powermeters on those arm cranks that the America's Cup boats use.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:

LOL.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Interbike in Reno [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please visit https://www.interbike.com/ for additional information on the expo. Attendees of the Slowtwitch Cycling Power Clinic would have direct access to Interbike for 3 days, included in the clinic reg fee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Virtually no road bike manufactures there at all....Look/Corima seem to be the biggest name.?
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Interbike in Reno [UKathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UKathlete wrote:
Virtually no road bike manufactures there at all....Look/Corima seem to be the biggest name.?

I think that’s been the trend recently as bike companies are releasing bikes when they have new models not based on annual product cycles.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Interbike in Reno [UKathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UKathlete wrote:

i think you just hurt cannondale's feelings.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watch this video for an idea of how awesome the Slowtwitch Cycling Power Clinic at Interbike is:

https://drive.google.com/...RKhEjR-fhsxb7PIl4MJ7

One our previous attendees put it together for us. He did a GREAT job!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess nobody remembers when Interbike announced they'd be moving to Denver, and the vendors and retailers said they wouldn't go. Period.
It got moved back to Vegas, to Mandalay Bay.
I'm definitely looking forward to checking out Reno and giving it a chance. And yeah, proximity to Tahoe/Truckee is a good thing.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply