Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dream vacation poll [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

I was surprised that, on this forum where Kona is THE HOLY GRAIL, currently 43-ish% have chosen the European cycling vacation vs only 25% choosing Kona. That is just shocking to me as i would've guessed 60-65% for Kona. Maybe the missing percent don't like the idea of a Kona entry just being "given away"???

Kona isn't much fun for the significant other.. the Europe bike trip would be much more enjoyable.
If it was a trip for me alone, I'd have picked 1. Galapagos swims, 2. Mongolian gravel, 3. Kona ..

Ummm, but they get to go to HAWAII. My former spouse was always hoping i would KQ; she had absolutely no problem doing a small amount of "sherpa" work in return for going there. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Dream vacation poll [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am fortunate enough to have done most of these in that I have done versions of Mongolia and Galapagos and have not sat in the team car. I have no interest in sitting in a team car.

While my preference would be the Euro cycling vacation (Probably done 15x but will never get enough), I chose Hawaii, not because I want or need to go back. I chose it because it means having the health to do that race doing all three sports at a very high level, especially the running part...at the moment, I can't do any of the sports at any reasonable level, so my pick is biased
Quote Reply
Re: Dream vacation poll [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More likely that a high percentage of people on this forum have already been to Kona and looking for something different
Quote Reply
Re: Dream vacation poll [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I am fortunate enough to have done most of these in that I have done versions of Mongolia and Galapagos and have not sat in the team car. I have no interest in sitting in a team car.

While my preference would be the Euro cycling vacation (Probably done 15x but will never get enough), I chose Hawaii, not because I want or need to go back. I chose it because it means having the health to do that race doing all three sports at a very high level, especially the running part...at the moment, I can't do any of the sports at any reasonable level, so my pick is biased

Well, you were definitely swimming and biking at a "reasonable level" before last week's crash, so it has not been very long since you were doing 2 out of 3 pretty well. And, your swimming is now beyond "reasonable" for a tri guy. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Well, you were definitely swimming and biking at a "reasonable level" before last week's crash, so it has not been very long since you were doing 2 out of 3 pretty well. And, your swimming is now beyond "reasonable" for a tri guy. :)

Hang on....my swim sucks for a swim guy...I must be a swim guy because I am doing Individual Medley kick sets for rehab. This is not triguy behavior!!!!

All kidding aside, these are the sport vacations I would like to have next year:

1. France Alps bike tour
  2. Global Swim Series 10K finals Cozumel
  3. Masters Swim Nationals Montreal (OK, that's a 2 hour drive, so really it's gonna be 2 days at the Comfort Inn and eating at Tim Hortons...our equivalent of Dunkin Donuts).

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Dream vacation poll [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on that

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Dream vacation poll [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmg wrote:
More likely that a high percentage of people on this forum have already been to Kona and looking for something different

Maybe but as i said in another post, the ultimate in tri snob talk is to be able to talk about 10 or more years of Kona, comparing and contrasting the weather conditions of each year, the pro competitors, etc. Plus, as i read this, it is a free entry into Kona w/o the need to KQ; seems kind of silly to pass up this sort of chance, IMO.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kona is a must do for any triathlete fan or age grouper who can appreciate the challenge of that day. Ive been to watch it twice and then on the Sunday morning got picked up by Bicycle Adventures to do their 6 day bike tour of the big island which includes some riding on the Ironman course. Highly highly recommend this company. The first time was so great I went back the next year to do it all over again. The only negative part is the long flight which is a small price to pay for an incredible experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Dream vacation poll [Chester1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
roth is better than kona..
Quote Reply
Re: Dream vacation poll [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know right?! Swim with turtles, wife and kids can play on a beach (wife cannot swim well). This might be the only one on the list that is a vacation.
Quote Reply

Prev Next