Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What is wrong with my triathlon? [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:
original wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
original wrote:

Edit: I think that what is wrong with my triathlon is that I lack focus. How would you call it?

Ya think?

Look, its your hobby, do it however you like. Have fun doing it. that's all that really matters, right?

But, its bizarre to just sorta half-ass it (and apparently know that you are), and then come on here and say, "how come I did so shitty?" It came off as, "I know I was prepared, but I don't know why this happened..." then we all tease out of you over the course of 2 pages that you didn't prepare, didn't follow a good nutrition plan, and didn't make good tactical decisions when it started to go badly.

I think that maybe b/c I am my own coach that I fail to appreciate the importance of quality over quantity. I love to be out in the heat running and riding, but just not very fast and when I want to go faster (such as on race day) that it burns too many matches, and that I cannot put out a bigger effort (despite a taper). Plus, the heat of the day is the time of day that I can take time away from work for a workout. I was right at home at BSLT in 106 degrees. To salvage any contention that this is a "woe is me" post, I past about the same number of runners that past me- which is an improvement over last year.

I think also that planning a training map and sticking to that also takes up too much time/energy (for me).

Finally, when it's cold out, I am such a weenie that I bundle up to stay warm and the additional layers to hold in the heat cause me to become so warm that I cannot go hard even in winter (almost always doing ultra/long runs in winter).

I suppose that I could probably do 10% better if I weren't so cheap and invested in a coach?

May I humbly say I wish I had your thinking and attitude

I must confess, I train mostly so I can get on the podium. I don’t hate training but don’t love it either

I don’t hate training but I really admire that you like running and training so much. I REALLY REALLY. REALLY like racing. But it is only what, 5% compared to training?

You on the other hand actually enjoy the 95%

Hats off to you and I hope you never lose that joy.

I appreciate you pointing out this. I was involved in an accident about 20 yrs ago and that forced me to realize that being able to move was something that I had taken for granted. It's the remnants of that accident that make me prone to over-use injuries (foot, ankle, and knee) and that's why I usually mix cycling, running, and weights.

My hat is off to you who can push into pain and suffer today to win tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: What is wrong with my triathlon? [original] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
original wrote:
I think that maybe b/c I am my own coach that I fail to appreciate the importance of quality over quantity. I love to be out in the heat running and riding, but just not very fast and when I want to go faster (such as on race day) that it burns too many matches, and that I cannot put out a bigger effort (despite a taper). Plus, the heat of the day is the time of day that I can take time away from work for a workout. I was right at home at BSLT in 106 degrees. To salvage any contention that this is a "woe is me" post, I past about the same number of runners that past me- which is an improvement over last year.

I think also that planning a training map and sticking to that also takes up too much time/energy (for me).

Finally, when it's cold out, I am such a weenie that I bundle up to stay warm and the additional layers to hold in the heat cause me to become so warm that I cannot go hard even in winter (almost always doing ultra/long runs in winter).

I suppose that I could probably do 10% better if I weren't so cheap and invested in a coach?

I don't think you need a COACH, but you need some organization and planning to your tri-training...if you want to live up to your (apparent) expectations. Although a coach could certainly help. I don't know, but I doubt it is even a quality over quantity thing. If you can train your way through double centuries, and ultra-55 (and the upcoming ultra-100)...there's plenty of fitness there...and I presume a willingness to organize a plan to get those done. You just need to apply some of that to your triathlon life.

Doing cool events (like these ultras) is cool. You should do what you think is cool---that's the whole point of all this, right? With the right thought, I think you can turn those into an advantage in your tris...instead of leaving you handicapped by insufficient bike/swim prep, which ultimately cripples your run (which should be your strong suit).

You tri-training sounds like bit of a mess. Coming off the ultra-55, I would expect that you had excellent run-fitness. With a little thought, you could have started the bike build a little earlier for BSLT (maybe in the final stages of your ultra-prep), and added SOME swimming in the 8 weeks prior to BSLT. Maybe swimming (some) doesn't make your swim FASTER, but maybe it makes it cost less, and leaves you setup for a better bike, and ultimately lets you take your ultra-run and drive the race home.
Quote Reply
Re: What is wrong with my triathlon? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
original wrote:

I don't think you need a COACH, but you need some organization and planning to your tri-training...if you want to live up to your (apparent) expectations. Although a coach could certainly help. I don't know, but I doubt it is even a quality over quantity thing. If you can train your way through double centuries, and ultra-55 (and the upcoming ultra-100)...there's plenty of fitness there...and I presume a willingness to organize a plan to get those done. You just need to apply some of that to your triathlon life.

Doing cool events (like these ultras) is cool. You should do what you think is cool---that's the whole point of all this, right? With the right thought, I think you can turn those into an advantage in your tris...instead of leaving you handicapped by insufficient bike/swim prep, which ultimately cripples your run (which should be your strong suit).

You tri-training sounds like bit of a mess. Coming off the ultra-55, I would expect that you had excellent run-fitness. With a little thought, you could have started the bike build a little earlier for BSLT (maybe in the final stages of your ultra-prep), and added SOME swimming in the 8 weeks prior to BSLT. Maybe swimming (some) doesn't make your swim FASTER, but maybe it makes it cost less, and leaves you setup for a better bike, and ultimately lets you take your ultra-run and drive the race home.

You have made some really good points throughout this discussion, and you continue that here.

I hadn't considered the lack of efficiency of my swim due to lack of prep/practice in how many calories that I'd burned and how much metabolic by-product that my body was having to manage. I took it easy on the swim and made myself avoid trying to draft on others' feet, and I thought that was enough, but my time suggests that I spent more energy than I realized b/c I honestly expected to finish the swim in about 42 minutes (assuming the course was near 1.2 miles), I am unsure whether the wind made the swim easier- I expected the wind to make the swim more taxing.

I truly appreciate your sharing your thoughts and insights. I agree that I need to spend more time planning if I expect to make improvements.

Honestly, I make this same type of mistake in other areas of my life: Too much blunt force (volume) and not enough precision (targeted workouts).

Additionally, I overcompensate with too much precision in some areas of my life and demanding the same from others (my wife and coworkers)- I suppose that I'm a mess. Maybe if I apply a disciplined or formulaic approach to triathlon that it will help me learn to experience the same level of satisfaction and joy that I get from long, slow workouts. I suppose that it goes back to self-esteem... not caring that I ran only 2 miles, but rather that I stuck to a plan of running both miles at <7 min/mile pace instead of slogging along at 9:00 pace.

I'm working on becoming a better person (as I understand it), and I can also work on becoming a better (tri)athlete.
Quote Reply

Prev Next