Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Arizona @ 2.4 w/kilo
Quote | Reply
IM Arizona what kind of bike time shall I expect on 2.4 watts/kilo? I know lots of factors from wind to my equipment etc, but seeing what you guys have done on similar Watts/kilo?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona @ 2.4 w/kilo [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5:20-5:35, but lots of variables.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, lots of variables such as wind. Last year there was a slight headwind heading out to the turnaround. Keep in mind that it is downhill from the turnaround, so you can pick up some pretty good speed. I rode 2.67 w/kg and had a sub five hour bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as mentioned, a lot of variables, conditions, winds and your actual position and how aero you are. A couple of years ago I rode a 5:17 at 2.5 w/kg

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona @ 2.4 w/kilo [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that sounds about right. I was between 2.5-2.6 and did 5:10 in 2016. winds were very favorable that year until the last 1/4 lap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are other people on ST that pace at ~2.5 W/kg?!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona @ 2.4 w/kilo [steve25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was 2.5 W/kg in 2017 and 5:31. At 6'2" 190 lbs, I am a big guy....not very aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2.65-2.7w/kg 5:06 or :08 in 2014, which was f*ing windy. (197w)

On the other hand I possess the World's Most Aero Biceps(TM)

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m planning on riding 2.5w/kg and BBS is spitting out 4:59. The BBS aero analyzer says my CdA is 0.1998. Hope I could hold that position that long. Lol
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona @ 2.4 w/kilo [astig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a quick follow up we updated our Crr data to add more tire options and to make it more aligned with how BicycleRollingResistance.com is doing their testing (if your specific tire setup happens to be on their site). It may be worth you making sure your bike setting have been updated and rerunning the aero analysis. Not saying sub .2 isn't doable but I think it would be tricky to hold for an IM!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona @ 2.4 w/kilo [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh cool! Having more accurate Crr is a great feature. So far, Ive been able to hold it for 56 miles. I’m not familiar with the IMAZ course? Dont know how smooth the roads are. Using GPTT 23 with latex tubes.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona @ 2.4 w/kilo [astig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys!
Surely some of you have rode deep into the 4.xx's what are the theoretical watts/kilo on this course?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona @ 2.4 w/kilo [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mrcooper wrote:
Just a quick follow up we updated our Crr data to add more tire options and to make it more aligned with how BicycleRollingResistance.com is doing their testing (if your specific tire setup happens to be on their site). It may be worth you making sure your bike setting have been updated and rerunning the aero analysis. Not saying sub .2 isn't doable but I think it would be tricky to hold for an IM!

Thanks for the info Ryan. Are there any update notes on this at BBS? I assume this change would be under the bike settings. Nothing stands out differently there. Thought the current Crr value for my bike looks high. Is this where the changes have been made to correlate to BRR data? Should Crr be directly entered based on test values? Or is there some place to select actual tire models/sizes/tubes? The problem with the BRR data is that all their testing is with butyl tubes and many that fine tune BBS data are running latex.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona @ 2.4 w/kilo [aavlee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aavlee wrote:
There are other people on ST that pace at ~2.5 W/kg?!

He’s only using one leg.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was 5:10 on 2.5 W/kg in 2016 and 5:15 on 2.4 or so in 2017. Neither year was more windy than the usual.

Coach at TriForce Triathlon Team: https://www.triforceteam.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When doing the calculation, are we talking about Avg or NP watts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4:47 @ 2.8, 2016
4:56 @ 2.8, 2010

---------------------------------------------
Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding it hurts.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona @ 2.4 w/kilo [p3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's say average power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
Let's say average power.

Yeah, I don't get the W/kg on a course like IMAZ, especially for lighter riders. I rode 5:16ish there last year at 3.1 W/kg, but I weight just under 150 lbs, and the NP was 188W. That did include a stand-down at Special Needs and a little cramping late in the ride. I've also ridden 5:04 there on 195 NP, roughly the same weight.

As others have said, though, there are so many variables.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never ridden that course with a power meter, but I just want to exho the sentiments of others with the wind. One year I did it and the wind was blowing out of town. It's a three lap course, so the first half was two tailwind sections and one headwind section. I was all smiles when I hit 56 miles in just over two and a half hours. Second half took three hours. :(

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
IM Arizona what kind of bike time shall I expect on 2.4 watts/kilo? I know lots of factors from wind to my equipment etc, but seeing what you guys have done on similar Watts/kilo?

errr has anyone asked how much you weigh? (or is that a known quantity.... :-) ).

I don't know IMAZ but 2.5w/kg could be 155W or it could be 225W.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona @ 2.4 w/kilo [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the changes are under the bike setting section. You should see numbers in the .003-.004 range (lower end with Latex tubes). The biggest difference is that in the input assumes average (to good) road conditions where as the older were skewed towards smoother surface testing. We have a blog article coming out on the updates early next week.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona @ 2.4 w/kilo [sneeuwaap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sneeuwaap wrote:
thatzone wrote:
Let's say average power.

Yeah, I don't get the W/kg on a course like IMAZ, especially for lighter riders. I rode 5:16ish there last year at 3.1 W/kg, but I weight just under 150 lbs, and the NP was 188W. That did include a stand-down at Special Needs and a little cramping late in the ride. I've also ridden 5:04 there on 195 NP, roughly the same weight.

As others have said, though, there are so many variables.

Ian

I agree - I think CdA is much more important on the IMAZ course. I rode 4:36 on 3.01 w/kg in 2015. And then in 2014, 4:42 (riding time) on 3.04 w/kg but it was much more windy.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply