Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hiking/Walking if you can't run?
Quote | Reply
I had to shut down my run training for a little since I'm dealing some hamstring stuff. Any benefit doing lots of walking/hiking (20-30mpw) to hopefully delay the loss in run fitness or at least make it easier when starting back up. I'm still able to bike and swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Hiking/Walking if you can't run? [endurance1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't imagine it would hurt in anyway, unless it hurts your hamstring. What about aqua jogging or the elliptical?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done it. I have no way to gauge what if any benefit I got from it -- and yet I think it makes sense. You spend time on your feet, burn a few calories, and as you do it more, you find you are getting into walking shape giving you some positive feedback (it may be false feedback if you read it as preserving run conditioning, but who cares -- half the battle of dealing with training layoffs is keeping a positive mental outlook).
Quote Reply
Re: Hiking/Walking if you can't run? [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hugoagogo wrote:
I've done it. I have no way to gauge what if any benefit I got from it -- and yet I think it makes sense. You spend time on your feet, burn a few calories, and as you do it more, you find you are getting into walking shape giving you some positive feedback (it may be false feedback if you read it as preserving run conditioning, but who cares -- half the battle of dealing with training layoffs is keeping a positive mental outlook).

+1

I've had to do this - i quite enjoyed it.
It's a great way to stay active and sane when you're otherwise on the bench..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
endurance1234 wrote:
I had to shut down my run training for a little since I'm dealing some hamstring stuff. Any benefit doing lots of walking/hiking (20-30mpw) to hopefully delay the loss in run fitness or at least make it easier when starting back up. I'm still able to bike and swim.

Based on my experience, i think you're better off swimming and biking more. When i've had to not run due injury, i always came back very quickly when i had done lots of good quality S and B. In fact, i've run some pretty good times off of just swimming, albeit just in 2 to 3 mi races; my legs would sore for a week after the run since my legs weren't used to the pounding, but i ran some very good times. There are also some posts on ST which say the same about running in the spring off of a winter of hard XC skiing.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as ninagski says, aqua jogging is better if the injury can tolerate it..

otherwise I walk on the theory that at least it is weight-bearing exercise and should help maintain that..
also because I need it for mental health..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second aqua jogging and elliptical, done properly, not hanging out on the elliptical reading a book or playing on your phone like I see most people doing at the gym. And not just trotting around in the water. If you want to keep fitness, you have to put in the work.

They also have zero gravity treadmills at a lot of sports med places as well that assist in taking weight off your legs to allow for cardio without impact.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply