Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ocean City NJ training suggestions wanted
Quote | Reply
I somehow lost another vote at home 1-1 and we will be heading to Ocean City with NJ with the in-laws.

Looking for any help with training back half of the 4th of July week in Ocean City NJ, especially how to get a longer ride in from there - or do I need to drive somewhere to start?

Thanks

Banger
Quote Reply
Re: Ocean City NJ training suggestions wanted [banger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha! I know the feeling. My in-laws are in Margate.

You can ride the Causeway (52) out of Ocean City and the roads open up from there. Try turning left on Atlantic 559/Mays Landing Road right after you exit the Causeway. I don't have a ton of experience riding around there but I have ridden that out and back for almost 2 hours before and it has been great. The roads are very open in that part of NJ. Good luck.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure there's plenty of rural roads around that area, but it is flat. flat. flat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can ride out of town a number of different ways. Are you staying in N or S end of town.

You can go out of town 34th street and there's a number of routes South to take.

You can go out the 9th St causeway which I would head N

Also can go out the Longport bridge and head left.

I wouldn't do Ocean Drive this time of year if you are going longer then an hour or two and only then leaving at sun up.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Normally I would go out 34th st. Down route 9. Then go as far as you want, and come back up ocean drive. Or do the opposite.
As stated above, if you take ocean drive, get out nice and early.
Quote Reply
Re: Ocean City NJ training suggestions wanted [jonp9576] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been taking the 34th Street bridge out of town the last few weekends and riding along Tuckahoe Road and Rte 50. 50 can get a little busy but the shoulders are good and wide. Could also make your way up to 49, again well traveled but good shoulders.

My wife and I followed a route from Ride with GPS last year out of Belleplain State Forest - we did drive to start it but I guess you could ride if you really wanted to.

As others have said, lots of roads to explore.
Quote Reply
Re: Ocean City NJ training suggestions wanted [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
Haha! I know the feeling. My in-laws are in Margate.

You can ride the Causeway (52) out of Ocean City and the roads open up from there. Try turning left on Atlantic 559/Mays Landing Road right after you exit the Causeway. I don't have a ton of experience riding around there but I have ridden that out and back for almost 2 hours before and it has been great. The roads are very open in that part of NJ. Good luck.

Haha, I grew up in Margate in the 1960's and 1970's and my parents still live there. I agree with sch340 that the Mays Landing Somers Point Road is great riding. In fact, that was the time trial course for the Shore Cycle Club in the 1970's. I do most of my early season training on that road when there is still snow on the ground here in CT. Once you get to Mays Landing, take US 40 west less than a mile and then go south on RT 50. Wide open and empty! South of Tuckahoe, bear left onto Tuckahoe Rd and head back towards Ocean City via the bridge on Roosevelt Blvd. Beacon Cycle on Tilton Road in Northfield has weekend rides.
Last edited by: TBV Runner: Jun 26, 18 10:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not to hijack but any public pools in picastaway NJ?
Quote Reply
Re: Ocean City NJ training suggestions wanted [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or Ocean City area for that fact

Banger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.ocnj.us/aquatic-and-fitness-center/

You should be able to get a day pass for $12.

Two weekends ago the ocean was great for a little open water practice, a little choppy this last one.

OC is a pretty good place to be in the summer!
Quote Reply