Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First Tri Next Week - NYC - Quick Questions for the Seasoned Vets
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone - I'm new to this forum, but have been reading a lot of the threads over the past few months and they've really help me prepare for my first tri next week in NYC. I'm fairly fit and in my 30s, but training for this has def not been easy. I've had a lot of fun with training despite my subpar swimming skills and I am just excited to get out there, although still very nervous. I had a few quick questions and I wanted to see if anyone had any general advice as well. Looks like it's gonna be a scorcher similar to '16, hopefully they don't shorten the course again. Here go my questions:

1.) I have TYR Tracer Goggles in both clear and Metallic Fire (Metallized) - Which one should I go with? I'll be in one of the last starting groups getting going likely around 7:30am.

2.) How often should I be sighting in open water? I did a clinic through our local tri club and they suggested every 3 strokes, but that seems like a lot.

3.) We may have the option to switch into a first timers group (depending on availability) - which would allow me to start an hour earlier, but still be at the back of the pack for that transition group (yellow) - do you guys think it's worth it to make the switch? i'm expecting to finish in the 3 - 3.5 hour range.

Link to Swim Wave Starts: https://bit.ly/2Kpwe3W

Thanks so much for all your help so far - what a great community!
Quote Reply
Re: First Tri Next Week - NYC - Quick Questions for the Seasoned Vets [newtryguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The swim is north to south so the sun isn't an issue, use clear goggles. Sight as much as you think you need to. If you don't swim straight, sight more often. That said, the NYC swim can't be easier, it's straight with the current, i think the current is stronger to the right so you might want to hug the right side. If you can get an earlier wave it's worth it as the bike course would be less crowded but also the current is usually stronger earlier in the day. Haven't done NYC in a few years but I always enjoyed the energy of racing in NYC. Bike course gets crowded tho so just be aware. Good luck, be safe, and have a great race!
Quote Reply
Re: First Tri Next Week - NYC - Quick Questions for the Seasoned Vets [newtryguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the addiction. This is the greatest sport ever invented.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
newtryguy101 wrote:

1.) I have TYR Tracer Goggles in both clear and Metallic Fire (Metallized) - Which one should I go with? I'll be in one of the last starting groups getting going likely around 7:30am.

2.) How often should I be sighting in open water? I did a clinic through our local tri club and they suggested every 3 strokes, but that seems like a lot.

3.) We may have the option to switch into a first timers group (depending on availability) - which would allow me to start an hour earlier, but still be at the back of the pack for that transition group (yellow) - do you guys think it's worth it to make the switch? i'm expecting to finish in the 3 - 3.5 hour range.
!

1. Clear goggles

2. The sea wall is on your left the entire time. When you breathe on your left side you’ll see how straight you’re going.

3. First timers group for sure. It won’t be as warm or congested.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To echo what others have said

Clear

Site every few strokes to begin. If you are way off keep sighting often. If you are pretty straight sore less often

Go early if you can if not no worries

Most important have FUN!!! :)

Welcome to the club
Quote Reply
Re: First Tri Next Week - NYC - Quick Questions for the Seasoned Vets [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome - thanks for all the responses - super helpful!!

Looks like it is going to be brutally hot out there - any tips for running a hot race?

Also when going downhill on my bike should i be pedaling at a fast cadence or just resting?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
newtryguy101 wrote:

Looks like it is going to be brutally hot out there - any tips for running a hot race?

Also when going downhill on my bike should i be pedaling at a fast cadence or just resting?

Thanks!

Personally I would not go much above my normal cadence when in my top gear

So put it in the top gear get up to speed and if I get up to say 100 RPM I would just slow down to maybe 70 or just stop peddling and grip the top bar with my knees

Others may have different advice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just make sure you're getting enough fluids and sodium, and get some in on the bike. You lose more than you think when it's that hot outside.

You shouldn't have to worry that much about sighting in the swim. It is dead straight point-to-point and there is a wall on your left that you can use as a guide.

There aren't many hills on this course where you will need to worry about not having enough gear, so you can either tuck in and/or spin with minimal difference.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. There's no visibility in the water, so I don't think it really matters either way which goggle you choose. Pick the ones you're most comfortable in. The swim is over so fast anyway - it took me 16 minutes last year, which puts me on pace for 1:05/100m, which is so much faster than I'm capable of in a normal swim.

2. I think sighting is personal preference. Start with every three strokes and if you find you're heading pretty straight, switch to every 5 or so and see how it goes, then back to 3 if you need, etc., etc. It's your first race, you'll just have to play with things to figure it out.

3. Definitely switch to the earlier start group. I started about 2/3 through the yellow group last year and was so glad I was. The course gets more crowded as the day goes on.

Lastly - just enjoy it! Smile, don't think too much, and don't stress too much. Your first few races will be full of learning moments. The run course (albiet different this year from last year) made me feel like I was a rock star - there were so many people out there cheering and blasting music. The finish chute was one of the best I've been through.

Pro-tip: If you have people that will be meeting you at the finish, have them bring some clean, dry clothes for you. I remember wanting to go out for brunch with my family when I finished, but I was so wet from ice/hoses that I just had to go back to transition and check out my gear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can get in the yellow transition, I would definitely do that. In 2016, I was in the yellow group. I finished before it got really hot and the bike course looked really congested when I was heading back in towards transition.

During the swim, I concentrated more on staying towards the middle away from the wall than looking where I was going. I wanted to stay in the current. It’s a straight swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure why everyone is saying clear goggles. Tinted will not be a problem.

Yes, it will be hot here for that race. Sunday's high will be about 96 degrees. Dew Point will be in the high 60's and the temp at race start for most people will be in the 80's. Slow down and drink a lot.

This year's race is going off at low tide (LT@5:23). That means for most of the race it will be slack or slight inbound. Not going to be a fast swim this year

If you have a smart trainer and ROUVY you can ride the exact course in full HD. It is as close as you can get.

Good Luck.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: First Tri Next Week - NYC - Quick Questions for the Seasoned Vets [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:

Yes, it will be hot here for that race. Sunday's high will be about 96 degrees. Dew Point will be in the high 60's and the temp at race start for most people will be in the 80's. Slow down and drink a lot.

This year's race is going off at low tide (LT@5:23). That means for most of the race it will be slack or slight inbound. Not going to be a fast swim this year

If you have a smart trainer and ROUVY you can ride the exact course in full HD. It is as close as you can get.

Good Luck.

That's the first I've heard of that - Can anyone else confirm that there will be no current this year? Where can I check this?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
newtryguy101 wrote:
AutomaticJack wrote:

Good Luck.

That's the first I've heard of that - Can anyone else confirm that there will be no current this year? Where can I check this?

Thanks!

http://www.saltwatertides.com/dynamic.dir/newyorksites.html

I just looked it up here for battery park. Which said 5:21. Might be some current for the earlier waves, but probably no such luck for me in wave 42/43. This is one race I really wish I was in the 55-59 AG simply to have some empty roads ahead of me for the bike.

If you aren't finishing early the heat will be rough. Take the run across 72nd street nice and easy as I don't recall there being much shade or aid stations there, but once you are in the park it will be fine, no more harlem hill this year. I think last year (or year before) they had fire hoses spraying people pretty frequently, so it is definitely doable.

I wouldn't worry about anything too much, you will be fine and it is a very fun race.
Last edited by: grtri: Jun 28, 18 15:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
newtryguy101 wrote:

Thanks!

It's a good bet that the run will be shortened. Likely a 5k, though in the past they shortened to 5m.

-------------------------
Jonathan Cane
City Coach Multisport
http://www.citycoach.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, you might consider letting some air out of your tires when you check it in on Saturday. Transition is mostly in direct sun and in previous races people have shown up on Sunday to blown tires. Just let a little air out Saturday and pump back up to pressure on Sunday when you're setting up.
Quote Reply
Re: First Tri Next Week - NYC - Quick Questions for the Seasoned Vets [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bunch of folks have said it already but going to repeat it anyway, definitely start in the earlier group. With 5:40 transition close, it is a very, very long wait until your age group goes and it gets incredibly boring. On the plus side you'll have more than ample time to clear out your bowels :-) Also agree, with the low/mid 90's forecast, would expect them to shorten the run a little bit.
Quote Reply
Re: First Tri Next Week - NYC - Quick Questions for the Seasoned Vets [bryguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome stuff guys. Thanks!

Got into the earlier group, but I won’t be eligible for any awards because it’s a recreational division. Don’t think I’ll qualify for any awards anyway but super excited!! 36 hours to go
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
newtryguy101 wrote:
Awesome stuff guys. Thanks!

Got into the earlier group, but I won’t be eligible for any awards because it’s a recreational division. Don’t think I’ll qualify for any awards anyway but super excited!! 36 hours to go

Hope you had fun

How was it?
Quote Reply