Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me choose for IMC: flo 90 or H3 front wheel
Quote | Reply

I’m trying to choose between the two. Looking for advice one way or another.

Notes:

-it would be used with a deeeeeep Blackwell Time Bandit fork.

-if H3, I’ll run a conti ss 20. If Flo, conti ss 23.

-the h3 is about a half pound lighter than the flo.

-I’m comfortable riding on both in winds.
-disk on rear.

-I can’t perceive any difference in “feel” between the two wheels (but some people make this claim).

-No idea what the wind would be like,
-the course is a shit-ton of up and downhill.

Thoughts?

Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose for IMC: flo 90 or H3 front wheel [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H3 due to lighter weight and lots of climbing. Also varying winds and crosswinds gives the nod to H3 as well in my opinion.

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose for IMC: flo 90 or H3 front wheel [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a previous HED3 owner, I'd recommend the FLO 90 or some other aero front wheel. The HED3 is probably the fastest front wheel in existence, however, that comes at a cost. The cost is getting blown all over the road and sketchy at best handling on an exposed course. I'm also a very skilled/experienced bike handler, but I wanted to sell- and finally did- my HED3 after every race I did on it. The exception being a super-flat road time-trial- if I had it, that's all I would use it for.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose for IMC: flo 90 or H3 front wheel [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
As a previous HED3 owner, I'd recommend the FLO 90 or some other aero front wheel. The HED3 is probably the fastest front wheel in existence, however, that comes at a cost. The cost is getting blown all over the road and sketchy at best handling on an exposed course. I'm also a very skilled/experienced bike handler, but I wanted to sell- and finally did- my HED3 after every race I did on it. The exception being a super-flat road time-trial- if I had it, that's all I would use it for.

Have you used the FLO 90?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose for IMC: flo 90 or H3 front wheel [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:

Have you used the FLO 90?

I have not, but I have used a Zipp 808 pre-Firecrest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello davetallo and All,

Any field reports on these?

http://www.2-spoke.com/speed/

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am skilled bike handler, having raced in road races for 10+ years in my younger days.

The last years I have had SRAM 80 on the front, which could be sketchy at times. The winds can be very hard in the exposed and flat landscape I live in.

I switched to HED with the HED H3 plus front wheel in January and have raced with it this year. I think it performs better then the SRAM 80. It still isn't perfect but I think it's becomes more natural/comfortable the more you ride with it.

If you have doubts regarding your handling skills (and many waste a lot of time on the base bar because of this) - then I think the question is not really between a FLO80 or Hed H3. It's really between a FLO60 which is really fast and keeps you in the aero position - and a high performance aero wheel that gives a slight edge (if you can master the handling skills).
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose for IMC: flo 90 or H3 front wheel [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode a H3 with a disc for years with no issues and now have the GT3 which I thought was way better in crosswinds of Kona than any other wheel I ever used there. I think a front 90 is way worse than a Hed tri spoke.
Last edited by: Shambolic: Jun 25, 18 18:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the FLO 90 and even at 200lbs I can’t rode it in a race. Actually rode it just 5 miles and don’t feel safe on a flat road no traffic and no wind

I thought I had good bike handling skills but maybe I do not.

Probably should sell it and get the flo 40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IIRC, Flo’s testing indicates the front Flo60 is just as fast (if not faster) than a front Flo90.

So, the choice may be Flo60 or H3?

If so, all I can offer is that a Flo60 up front is quite stable and handled the old IMC course for me many times without incident.

The Callaghan descent can combine side winds with high speeds. Confidence in those conditions can produce meaningful time savings on that course.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Talk to this guy...

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/FLO_90_can%E2%80%99t_use_it__P6665011/?forum_view=forum_view_collapsed&;page=unread#unread
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all. To clarify, I’m looking for the fastest wheel, of these two, for this course using this fork. These two are my options because they are the ones I have.

I’ve used both on the course in past years and handling is not a concern either way.

I know the chart on the flo site (or bikeblather?) puts flo ahead, but lots of posters have customarily chimed in with “ya, but watts to spin” in the h3 vs deep front debate.

If it’s a toss up, the h3 looks cooler.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an H3 and Flo 60. Another data point might be the rough road on alta lake road. Skinnier tire and more rigid wheel might be uncomfortable for that cumulative 30 miles I found the H3 ride to be a little harsher (more so in the rear)
Quote Reply