Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cell Phones [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't wait for the law-suits, as non hands-free cell phone use on bicycles is in fact prohibited by the VC of my state.

FWIW - It's my understanding that in most jurisdictions, cyclist while riding on public roads, are subject to the same rules/bylaws that motorists are. So indeed, if there is a no hand-held mobile device use law in-effect in a jurisdiction for motorists, it's also in effect for someone on a bike cycling.

Now we get into a bit of a grey area if indeed roads are closed to vehicular traffic - but this is rare, for triathlon bike legs in North America - there may be some closures close to the start/finish area and transition, but typically you are riding on roads that are open to vehicular traffic, and then the local rules/by-laws would be in effect.

Running (in a triathlon) again, presents a bit of a grey area - as to the best of my knowledge there are few if any laws/by-laws against pedestrians using mobile devices anywhere. Triathlon Race rules may ban them - but this will be hard to enforce for obvious reasons. Most running races have given up with any kind of rule enforcement on this. Now it's quite common for MOP and BOP runners to be carrying some form of mobile device with them, snapping selfies and shooting video as they go!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Jun 26, 18 7:55
Quote Reply
Re: Cell Phones [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve,

There doesn't need to be a criminal violation to prevail in a civil lawsuit in the U.S.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jun 26, 18 7:49
Quote Reply
Re: Cell Phones [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Progressive Race Directors in the sport, now know that the customer/participant experience, IS the most important thing on Race Day. Every race needs to figure out, what that experience is that they create at the micro and macro level. Here's a great example: For years, John Salt the Founder of the Multisport Canada Triathlon Series, has stood just past the finish line at EVERY ONE of their races, and shook the hand of EVERY finisher - congratulating them and thanking them! The positive impact on the participant is obvious, and John has also said, "if we have done something wrong, or their is a problem on the course, I find out about it RIGHT there".

So true. I did a sprint distance triathlon this weekend in a town south of Boston. Several miles into the bike, I saw a woman standing with her bike on the side of the road. I asked is she was "OK". Her response: "Yes, I'm just waiting for my friend" who was, presumably, behind me.
Quote Reply
Re: Cell Phones [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a negative on the bike computer app. If you want to carry it (unseen) on your person or in the bento, it's all right. But if the official can see it on the bike course on the mount it's a violation of 5.8 - Permitted and Illegal Equipment. If you had it on the mount and punching the screen the official *could* write a violation of 5.5 - Endangerment...were you texting on course? Don't know. If you were swerving around or taking a phone call on course, most definitely Endangerment, and a DSQ. If there were doubts as to what you were doing, the official would write 5.8 because it's a variable time penalty.

And the presence of the phone would only be a DSQ if the race director requested it to be so AND the sanction paperwork reflected it. The RD would also have to communicate that policy variance to the athletes somehow; e-mail, website, etc.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
USAT Competitive Rules Official, Cat 2
USAT National Technical Official/ITU National Technical Official, Level 1
USAT South Region Rules Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Cell Phones [Impulse-Warp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USAT Comp. Rule 1.2 - atmosphere of equal opportunity. Sportsmanship, fair play, health, safety, well-being of individuals, integrity of the sport.

Funny thing is that the WTC rule on phones and devices is cited through this thread, rather than those of USAT.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
USAT Competitive Rules Official, Cat 2
USAT National Technical Official/ITU National Technical Official, Level 1
USAT South Region Rules Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Cell Phones [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
Steve,

Here's a suggestion for WTC or other innovative RDs: Official selfie zones on the bike course where participants can safely pull off the course to take photos, videos or update their status!!!! IM can brand an extendable selfie stick that fits in your bento box. ;)

I'm probably behind the times and such zones are already reality.

Harumpffff

All this new tech crap and talk about selfies

In my day a selfie was something you did in the John with the Sears catalogue and nobody talked about it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next