Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New 808 vs old disc
Quote | Reply
I have a 2007 Zipp disc on my 2008 Specialized Transition. I know - I should upgrade the whole setup. But it’s what I have currently.

A friend offered to let me race with his Zipp 808 on the rear end 404 on the front.

Would a 2016 Zipp 808 be more aerodynamic than a 2007 Zipp disc? My disc has dimples, but is very flat - no shape at all. It has a Specialized 24mm tubular tire. The 808 has a Specialized 24mm clincher.

The overall setup for each (wheel, tire, cassette, skewer) weigh within a 20 grams of each other.

Would it matter what the wind conditions as to which one would be more aerodynamic ?
Quote Reply
Re: New 808 vs old disc [Multirider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Multirider wrote:
I have a 2007 Zipp disc on my 2008 Specialized Transition. I know - I should upgrade the whole setup. But it’s what I have currently.

A friend offered to let me race with his Zipp 808 on the rear end 404 on the front.

Would a 2016 Zipp 808 be more aerodynamic than a 2007 Zipp disc? My disc has dimples, but is very flat - no shape at all. It has a Specialized 24mm tubular tire. The 808 has a Specialized 24mm clincher.

The overall setup for each (wheel, tire, cassette, skewer) weigh within a 20 grams of each other.

Would it matter what the wind conditions as to which one would be more aerodynamic ?

I ride a Zipp 900 and 808 front. I don't know a whole heap about aerodynamcis, but have found in certain wind conditions the disc seems to really help and the faster you go the more you feel it. I rode it in storm conditions for a 70.3 recently and it was great. Not sure if acts like a sail with a crosswind, but it felt good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
go with a disc

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: New 808 vs old disc [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hanks for the response. The 900 is the reason that I got the disc I have — I got it on a very deep discount. If I recall correctly, I got the disc and an 808 for the front for $1400. They were over a year old, had a birthday while hanging in the dealers shop, and the new 900 was out. Zipp made a pretty big deal about the 900 actually providing some forward propulsion in certain conditions such as side winds. Mine doesn’t do that.

Hoping for more input!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a flat Zipp disc and an old school 808 - both tubulars.

I know what you are saying tho, I think if there is shape to the disc it's actually faster. The disc I built myself has shape to it (e.g. follows the spoke line) and I think it rides better in a way.

But the flat disc way lighter and plenty fast enough for the sprint I race it on.

I would just back to back and ride what feels best. They have to be pretty close, w/ the 808 getting the nod in a crosswind.

For longer rides I use another bike which has a HED combo (not disc)

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply