Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Di2. Front derailleur. Fu**ing fed up [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
You said you get it so the big ring won't grind but that it won't shift into the big ring, right?

That sounds like it is too far left, towards the small ring. This means that you're likely setting it up to not rub the FD cage in the slower cogs while in the big ring.

Does the Di2 also have the "in between" trim like with a normal shifter? Where you can give it a half click and get it closer?

Di2 auto-trims depending on what gear you are in on the cassette. No "half click" anymore (just 2 modes for small and big chainring). But setting it up is the same as a mechanical to have enough clearance for big-small and small-big combos for the limit screws.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The FD does make an automatic adjustment as you run through the cog to minimize rubbing. BUT - that working all depends on the derailleur being set up right to begin with. It is possible to be off just a little and negate the auto adjust such that the FD will not shift. It is a semi dumb machine. It counts on being in a certain known spot under a set known condition so it can move exactly to the next spot. Start it out adjusted to the wrong spot and it won't work right and no amount of fiddling is going to fix it..

This is important - You don't "adjust" electronic shifting like you do manual shifting. With electronic shifting, it is all about setting the correct starting point. The motor and electronics take care of the rest. The magic about electronic shifting is the derailleurs move exactly the same amount with each button click every time. Set them up to the right specs and they work. If the instructions say the tolerance for setting up a certain gap or measurement is .5mm, you need to get out the feeler gauge set and make the setting.

If you make those setting accurately and it still does not work, or you cannot get all the required measurements set at the same time, something other than the derailleur is jacked up. At that point you need to start looking at stuff like whether the chain rings are where they are supposed to be (e.g. bottom bracket issues) or if the derailleur itself is not mounted right (although that is a measurement spec you should be able to check).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

Does the Di2 also have the "in between" trim like with a normal shifter? Where you can give it a half click and get it closer?

Di2 does that automatically, depending on the position of the rd. You don't have to tell it to.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2. Front derailleur. Fu**ing fed up [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:
While I love instructional videos, for my Di2 I have found it much better to go directly to the printed Shimano manual. If you have not tried that yet, it might help. Di2 adjustments are just enough different then manual that old habits and ideas can mess you up. Every time I've gotten my FD out of wack, religiously following the manual's adjustment process fixed it.

The specs are fairly precise. You can try eyeballing tenths of millimeters but it will work a million times better with a set of feeler gauges. Just set everything to the spec tolerances given in the order they tell you to do them and see if that helps.

^^this. Follow the Shimano instructions in order. They designed a process that works repeatably.

I would add is that given it’s a new frame, it could be out of spec. Check that the front mech fitting is lined up with the chainrings - outside vertical edge should be vertical and in line with chainrings.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Di2. Front derailleur. Fu**ing fed up [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fuck. Just found out FD is busted. Low limit screw is stripped. Not the screw but the Hinge it's self. Shop says no fixing it. Bought it via ST but I suspect that I am responsible for breaking it.

Fuck!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Di2. Front derailleur. Fu**ing fed up [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Fuck. Just found out FD is busted. Low limit screw is stripped. Not the screw but the Hinge it's self. Shop says no fixing it. Bought it via ST but I suspect that I am responsible for breaking it.

Fuck!!!!!

So the thread on the H-Limit 'tube' is stripped, right?

I've used a Helicoil (I think you need a 2.5mm) with great success. It might be worth considering as an alternative to replacing the derailleur.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2. Front derailleur. Fu**ing fed up [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I think I'm going to attempt to do that where did you procure the screws for it then
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a helicoil kit from ebay (see my previous response for the link of an example kit).

Do you know what spec limit screw is used (like M2.5, or M3, or M4)? That will determine what kit you should get.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2. Front derailleur. Fu**ing fed up [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Factory screw was 2mm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok. I assume this is an M2 screw then. ...From this site "The actual diameter of an M3 screw is usually about 2.9mm, an M2.5 screw is 2.4mm and an M2 is 1.9mm".

In this case, you need an M2 helicoil thread repair kit like this.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2. Front derailleur. Fu**ing fed up [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
Just for clarification this is 9070 not 9150.

This is the correct one for that model.

http://si.shimano.com/...DM-DA0001-09-ENG.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: Update Di2. Front derailleur. Fu**ing fed up [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What worked for me was to connect my front mech to a derailleur cable.
Quote Reply

Prev Next