Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: First Ironman in Chattanooga [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just crazy hot heat with index well over 100 and many DNF's!
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman in Chattanooga [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM Chattanooga is an awesome race. As others have stated, the town is very cool as well, especially if you are someone who enjoys the outdoors (trail running galore, rock climbing, kayaking, mountain biking, etc....).

I've done the race all four years. The first two years, perfect weather. The last two years, very hot. I live in east TN and the first two years weather is more typical for this area for the end of September. The last two years were sort of a fluke. But, I'd still prepare for heat/humidity just in case.

Even with a lot of rain, the week of the race, the water never got wetsuit legal....but close (like 77 degrees). The first year, great water current (I think 14,000cfs). The second and third year it was cut back to 6,000 - 7,000cfs). Last year, the current was back to 13,000 - 14,000cfs (at least that's what it felt like because my swim time was a little faster than 2014). Its an awesome swim with very little contact. Time trial start but it works well

Bike course is awesome but it is 116 miles. Lots of rollers, especially on the first half of the lollipop.

As others have stated, the run course is TOUGH.....especially if its hot. Barton is no joke and will toast your legs, both sides.
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman in Chattanooga [1Wavemaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2016 had lots of DNFs on the bike course which was a bit weird , but it was super hot. Practically every shady spot had one or two people sitting or laying next to their bikes on the second loop. I heard IM had to rent a Hertz truck to gather up all the bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman in Chattanooga [blackadder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blackadder wrote:
2016 had lots of DNFs on the bike course which was a bit weird , but it was super hot. Practically every shady spot had one or two people sitting or laying next to their bikes on the second loop. I heard IM had to rent a Hertz truck to gather up all the bikes.

Last year was hot just not as hot as 2016. But I was extra cautious and drinking and dumping water on myself on bike and run. I only got a little toasty on one spot for a bit on the bike. I live in the SE so at least an used to heat and humidity but 2016 must have been awful for everybody as being out in the heat that long is rough
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman in Chattanooga [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
Run is a beast.

Could you explain a little more about the run, please? I'm seeing a lot of people talk about how hilly it is, yet the official map only lists it as 673 total feel of elevation gain. That really doesn't seem like that much over 26 miles. Is the map wrong? Or is it mostly flat with just a couple beastly hills accounting for all the gain? Or is it moderate hills coupled with heat and humidity?

Thanks

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman in Chattanooga [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a good little hill in the first 0.5 miles that you do only once (you come down it right before finishing). Then most of the run on the south side of the river is relatively flat (gentle rollers). There's a short steep kicker right before you cross the river on Veteran's bridge. Then the north side of the river is where the hurt comes. Barton Ave is a big climb, and there are 3 more hills over there. So for 6-7 miles you're going up or down and it wears on the legs. Then come back across the river on the pedestrian bridge and repeat, so the last 5 miles of the race includes those 4 good climbs. I'm not sure how 673 ft compares to other courses, but this is a tough run course, especially the last 5 miles.

The last 2 years have been hot there, especially 2016. But the 2 years before that the weather was fairly mild. For the 70.3 WC last year on Sept 10, we also had nice weather (and it was even wetsuit legal). I don't think the humidity there is horrible, but I live in the south. I think it's just a tough run, following a bike with 4 extra miles.
Last edited by: mbwallis: Jun 26, 18 5:13
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman in Chattanooga [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
There's a good little hill in the first 0.5 miles that you do only once (you come down it right before finishing). Then most of the run on the south side of the river is relatively flat (gentle rollers). There's a short steep kicker right before you cross the river on Veteran's bridge. Then the north side of the river is where the hurt comes. Barton Ave is a big climb, and there are 3 more hills over there. So for 6-7 miles you're going up or down and it wears on the legs. Then come back across the river on the pedestrian bridge and repeat, so the last 5 miles of the race includes those 4 good climbs. I'm not sure how 673 ft compares to other courses, but this is a tough run course, especially the last 5 miles.

The last 2 years have been hot there, especially 2016. But the 2 years before that the weather was fairly mild. For the 70.3 WC last year on Sept 10, we also had nice weather (and it was even wetsuit legal). I don't think the humidity there is horrible, but I live in the south. I think it's just a tough run, following a bike with 4 extra miles.

agree on all of that. And also even rollers on a run even though they give you a bit of an aerobic break they still beat up your legs. That run is pretty challenging. Lots of people walking Barton Ave. I ran, albeit slowly, all but the aid stations. If I race it again I may consider a walk run strategy on some of the hills.
Quote Reply

Prev Next