Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Medical Issues And ST Triathlon Forum
Quote | Reply
Hello All,

Perhaps an Artificial Intelligence application for medical advice and a Medical Knowledge Base Forum here on ST.

Triathlon Forum looks like fertile ground for a Medical Clinic/Doctor database ..... ? Medical advertising on forum?

Today at 12:18 PDT 22 June 2018 on Triathlon Forum

Bike Accident and ended up partially under School Bus
Who out there has ran on a sprained ankle?
Low back disk issue? What now?
Doc told me to lose a few pounds -Devastated
MRI today and soon...
Jan Frodeno Bike Crash - Ouch
MASSAGE THERAPIST RECOMMENDATION FOR NYC
Plantar Faciitis - my Notes on runner's heel pain
High Ankle Sprain
High Ankle Sprain - recovery time?
??? for doctors --- high ankle sprain
High Ankle Sprain
Making the most of a stress fracture
High Hamstring Tendinopathy Rehab Protocol

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Medical Issues And ST Triathlon Forum [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello All,

Perhaps an Artificial Intelligence application for medical advice and a Medical Knowledge Base Forum here on ST.

Triathlon Forum looks like fertile ground for a Medical Clinic/Doctor database ..... ? Medical advertising on forum?

Today at 12:18 PDT 22 June 2018 on Triathlon Forum

Bike Accident and ended up partially under School Bus
Who out there has ran on a sprained ankle?
Low back disk issue? What now?
Doc told me to lose a few pounds -Devastated
MRI today and soon...
Jan Frodeno Bike Crash - Ouch
MASSAGE THERAPIST RECOMMENDATION FOR NYC
Plantar Faciitis - my Notes on runner's heel pain
High Ankle Sprain
High Ankle Sprain - recovery time?
??? for doctors --- high ankle sprain
High Ankle Sprain
Making the most of a stress fracture
High Hamstring Tendinopathy Rehab Protocol

I've thought of this too. Create a forum category for Medical/Rehab/Injury questions and have it moderated by volunteer medical professionals with the goal of keeping content appropriate. I'm sure Dan has been approached to do this in the past....there may be some medical-legal issues that are keeping him from doing it.

CB
Physical Therapist/Endurance Coach
http://www.cadencept.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the past I have found ST treads on medical advice and sharing stories very helpful, both from a psychological peer support group angle, and also from the angle of getting educated from peer who may have exprienced the same or similar who also have the same lifestyle goals.

I don't know if a separate forum does it. Often I have found entering {slowtwitch forum} + {medical condition} into google gives me a good thread starting point.
Quote Reply
Re: Medical Issues And ST Triathlon Forum [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The downside to soliciting advice from the forums is that I find it's frustrating. For every person that shares their experience of having done <x> to fix something, someone else comes along and says <x> doesn't work and <y> works. Some one else suggests <z>. It's good to see what the options are, and people will passionately defend their options that worked for them but in the end I find it only helps for a very basic look at a problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Medical Issues And ST Triathlon Forum [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today I learned that that was a drop down menu.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Medical Issues And ST Triathlon Forum [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello renorider and All,

"Today I learned that that was a drop down menu."

Duh ...... you and me both. Was it always there? I hope I have better lookout doctrine when riding my bike .... I never looked at HOT FORUM TOPICS ................

Perhaps an example of 'live and learn' or 'a day late and a dollar short' for me.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello renorider and All,

Duh ...... you and me both. Was it always there? I hope I have better lookout doctrine when riding my bike .... I never looked at HOT FORUM TOPICS ................

Perhaps an example of 'live and learn' or 'a day late and a dollar short' for me.

x3

I never knew about that....even when slowman put the screen capture, I kept looking at the spot expecting to see content and did not realize there was a drop down....you'd think I can't see stuff on my screen or rocks on the road (bad joke, but I guess I am allowed to joke about myself now)....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some posts I've seen seeking comment are serious medical issues. Two recent ones that I felt I had to comment on were about diabetes and another arrythmias because the thread posters made the diagnosis and trivialised the problem. Bear in mind that any advice from a doctor would need to be general to avoid medico-legal issues, which is fine, but because no history, examination or investigation can be done on the poster it could be way off the mark. That's why the best advice you'll get is from a real life doctor at a visit. If you use Dr ST the advice you get will probably be from posters that don't feel constrained by those caveats (ie probably not doctors) or from those that have anectodal stories that may or not relate. Again, this can be of value if they are truly comparable and neither the OP or the respondent made a mistake with their diagnosis. My genuine concern is that someone gets talked out of seeing a doctor when they really should because of a post on ST.
Quote Reply
Re: Medical Issues And ST Triathlon Forum [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
nealhe wrote:
Hello renorider and All,

x3

I never knew about that....even when slowman put the screen capture, I kept looking at the spot expecting to see content and did not realize there was a drop down....you'd think I can't see stuff on my screen or rocks on the road (bad joke, but I guess I am allowed to joke about myself now)....

i announced this a number of times when we built it (and we built it because you all asked for it). now that it's becoming very slightly better known, this is designed as a self-improving aggregation of threads.

it's not just about health. it's about whatever we want. right now, i'm the only one deciding what goes in there. you all can decide what should go in there, and i mean as regards:

the topics
the threads

so, it's as good as i make it, unless you decide you also want to participate, in which case it's as good as you and i decide to make it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Medical Issues And ST Triathlon Forum [Mark57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark57 wrote:
Some posts I've seen seeking comment are serious medical issues. Two recent ones that I felt I had to comment on were about diabetes and another arrythmias because the thread posters made the diagnosis and trivialised the problem. Bear in mind that any advice from a doctor would need to be general to avoid medico-legal issues, which is fine, but because no history, examination or investigation can be done on the poster it could be way off the mark. That's why the best advice you'll get is from a real life doctor at a visit. If you use Dr ST the advice you get will probably be from posters that don't feel constrained by those caveats (ie probably not doctors) or from those that have anectodal stories that may or not relate. Again, this can be of value if they are truly comparable and neither the OP or the respondent made a mistake with their diagnosis. My genuine concern is that someone gets talked out of seeing a doctor when they really should because of a post on ST.

I agree with this thought. As a physician, I understand that I have minimal protection, and make my advice start with seeking a professional opinion first and then often only interject if the comments become dangerously off the mark. Misinformation drives me batty!

I would be somewhat willing to be more involved somehow, but have pretty much gone into threads that I feel expertise in and decide if I should make comments and interject. But there are others that I just stay away from too and don’t even open them.

It’s not my day job....

Dan-feel free to pm me if there is something done that you may or may not need a cardiologist triathlete for. (Not that I’m committing to anything.)

Over the years, I have wound up being in contact with quite a few athletes from this site and provided very reasonable comments and feedback.
Quote Reply
Re: Medical Issues And ST Triathlon Forum [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Suggestion: add the TrainerRoad.com thread to the stationary training section.
Quote Reply