Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Canyon Speedmax CF - re-cabling
Quote | Reply
I need to replace the brake cables on my Canyon Speedmax CF from 2014. Anyone on this forum who has been through the process and can provide some assistance.

I am in particular wondering about the internal routing - do I need to attach some sort of guide to the old cable before pulling it out, or do I simply pull it out and slide the new cable back in?

Thankful for any pointers here!
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF - re-cabling [fredrikb81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Its gear cable, but principle will remain. Ideally need a plastic guide
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the Park Tool IR-1.2 Internal Cable Routing Kit. It will save you time and the frustration.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF - re-cabling [Acsp34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Acsp34 wrote:
Get the Park Tool IR-1.2 Internal Cable Routing Kit. It will save you time and the frustration.

Thanks for the tip! Looks neat.

However, it's still 65 EUR, so I am wondering if anyone has experience from the Speedmax and can tell me whether it is straight-forward or worth purchasing this aid or similar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always just run the new cable though the housing after I pull old cables through. Then if I have to put in new housing I reverse install the cable. I learned my lesson the hard way taking the housing out before replacing the cable.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF - re-cabling [Acsp34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have cable guides in place, replacing cables and housing is a breeze and you really don't need any tools. If you are dealing with a guideless hollow frame, the IR1.1/1.2 kit will save you a lot of time.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a new Speedmax CF that I recently replaced the brake cables when switching over to TriRig brakes. I'm not sure if your model is the same. The rear brake enters the top of the frame behind the stem and exits back near the seat in the side of the frame. The cable does not have a fixed guide tube, rather it just sits inside the frame. There was a fabric-type sleeve that is inside the frame that the wire goes through, I imagine mostly to keep it from hitting the frame and rattling. I just pulled out the old cable and installed a new one. Careful with the bracket that covers the exit hole on the rear of the frame, it can fall inside the frame and get lost. Almost happened to me. I just used a small pair of needle nose pliers to catch the wire in the back as I fed it through. One of those park tools could be useful, but certainly not necessary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Routing the cable is actually quite easy, it's fiddling with the brake that is complex. Unless you have some experience I would advice against trying it yourself but as you were asking for instructions:

To re-route just open the stem cover, there should be two cable housings: they start inside the handlebar and they end inside the fork with the shimano cable tension adjuster barrels in-between. These are the only brake housings in the speedmax.

The front one just ends in a hole in the fork (it doubles as a cable stopper) which exists right over the front brake mechanism.
The read one has a plastic piece (with the cable stopper) enters the frame through an aperture in the middle of the headtube and then runs naked through the frame up to the rear brake exist.

But routing the cables is the "easy" part. The brake itself is (maybe) a cantilever brake but way more mechanically complex. It's difficult to mount and adjust so I would advise to familiarise with it before disassembly.

Both brakes have a cover which is also part of the brake (it's screwed and holds the brake in place). Moreover the rear one has a metallic piece that sits between the cover and the brake. It will probably fall upon disassembly and it's better mounted back with the bike upside down.

Here you can find more information about it: https://www.canyon.com/.../Speedmax_CF_R24.pdf

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF - re-cabling [elquike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elquike wrote:
Routing the cable is actually quite easy, it's fiddling with the brake that is complex. Unless you have some experience I would advice against trying it yourself but as you were asking for instructions:

To re-route just open the stem cover, there should be two cable housings: they start inside the handlebar and they end inside the fork with the shimano cable tension adjuster barrels in-between. These are the only brake housings in the speedmax.

The front one just ends in a hole in the fork (it doubles as a cable stopper) which exists right over the front brake mechanism.
The read one has a plastic piece (with the cable stopper) enters the frame through an aperture in the middle of the headtube and then runs naked through the frame up to the rear brake exist.

But routing the cables is the "easy" part. The brake itself is (maybe) a cantilever brake but way more mechanically complex. It's difficult to mount and adjust so I would advise to familiarise with it before disassembly.

Both brakes have a cover which is also part of the brake (it's screwed and holds the brake in place). Moreover the rear one has a metallic piece that sits between the cover and the brake. It will probably fall upon disassembly and it's better mounted back with the bike upside down.

Here you can find more information about it: https://www.canyon.com/.../Speedmax_CF_R24.pdf

Good luck!

Many thanks for this helpful post! I have disassembled the actual brakes several times and even replaced a couple of components, so I am fully familiar with that "end" of the system. I am more concerned about the actual routing of the cable and the attachment of it into the brake levers Shimano ST-6871. A couple of questions:

- Is it difficult to find the right route for the cables through the frame (both to the front and the rear). I guess what I am asking is whether you just slide it in and it automatically pops out in the other end, or if it is difficult to get the cable to go through the frame correctly.

- Is it difficult to dismantle and attach the cable in the brake lever or is it fairly straight forward?

If I can attach it to the lever and get the able through the frame, I am fairly comfortable with getting the rest of it done correctly.

Many thanks in advance,
Fredrik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is fairly simple and straight forward.

I replaced the housing and cable for the front break. For the housing for the front break, insert the housing through the handle bars (remove grip) and you simply just push it and it will make the turn and come out the back. Then cut to length and run your new cable.

I did the same for the rear brake but only replaced the housing from where it comes out the the seat post to the brake. Easy as pie like the front brake. I did not change out the housing from handlebars that run internally so can't shed any light there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fredrikb81 wrote:
- Is it difficult to find the right route for the cables through the frame (both to the front and the rear). I guess what I am asking is whether you just slide it in and it automatically pops out in the other end, or if it is difficult to get the cable to go through the frame correctly.

The front is straight forward.

The rear is easier than it seems. Do it in a two-part job: First have the cable routed through the brake and housing, and then pass the cable through the frame without bodering about putting the plastic cable stop in place.

The cable passes through the frame naked and there's plenty of space. Just push the cable and it will eventually came out. If not pull back a little and try again. Once you have it there you can put the plastic cable stop in its place.

fredrikb81 wrote:
- Is it difficult to dismantle and attach the cable in the brake lever or is it fairly straight forward?

This is the tricky part. As you may know you need to remove the brake cable because it passes through the screw which attaches and tightens the shimano di2 brake levels to the bars.

So, you need to put everything in place first* (brake level and housing) and the pass the cable. It's not difficult but it sometimes gets on your nerves because the cable housing must be perfectly aligned with the brake hole.

*I might be possible to pass the cable without the housing through the handlebar and then slide the housing back.

However, if you've worked with the speedmax brakes everything will seem easy in comparison ;-)

Quote Reply