Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gearing question
Quote | Reply
I did a search but could not find the answer

I’m a heavier rider and find myself over 90 RPMs on 50x12 even on smaller hills.

Would it be suggested to just keep turning the peddals and not worry about it or should I try larger chaIn ring and or smaller gear in back?
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing question [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:

I’m a heavier rider and find myself over 90 RPMs on 50x12 even on smaller hills.

Would it be suggested to just keep turning the peddals and not worry about it or should I try larger chaIn ring and or smaller gear in back?
50x12 at 90rpm is what, 30mph? I think you'll live, but a cassette with an 11 tooth ring is an easy swap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
50x12 is a fine gear... on a track bike... :P
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing question [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
11 is only 33 mph

On these hills I’m over that not from power but becausebif weight

Maybe I should have put in the title for heavey triathletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:

You could certainly go with a 53/39. . . but if you live in a hilly area and are a self described 'heavier rider.' you may not enjoy that 39. You could try a 53/36. . . it will shift but you'll have a bit of extra slack in the chain in the small ring. I even had tried a 53/34 and it'll shift too. . . but the chain slack was just way too much, couldn't use half the cassette when in the small ring.
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing question [ziggie204] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ziggie204 wrote:
RBR wrote:

You could certainly go with a 53/39. . . but if you live in a hilly area and are a self described 'heavier rider.' you may not enjoy that 39. You could try a 53/36. . . it will shift but you'll have a bit of extra slack in the chain in the small ring. I even had tried a 53/34 and it'll shift too. . . but the chain slack was just way too much, couldn't use half the cassette when in the small ring.

Thank you for the suggestion

It is super flat where I live so that could work
Quote Reply