Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hey Tom D.
Quote | Reply
Tom....my local tri club puts on a race every year and I am doing the sponsorship. I have been told to ask the LBS for 250+ waterbottles again, a bike mechanic, and anything else they feel moved to help with. Is this kind of request worth the advertisement to a LBS, or should I feel like Im putting them on the spot asking? thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Tom D. [imanbri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Is this kind of request worth the advertisement to a LBS, or should I feel like Im putting them on the spot asking? thanks."

Tom I mean no offense but...

You should not care if the advertisment is worth it to the shop and you should not care if ti puts them on the spot.

They are a buisness, if they feel put on the spot by you asking for some trade then I would be wondering if the shop is going to be around for long.
Also advertising is advertising. If the shop says no big deal go to another one. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Here is what you do. Pratice what you are going to say. Tell them your needs and tell them what you are willing to do to get them to fufill your needs. Pratice what you are going to say. Know what you are going to give them. If the place is smart then the owner will agree or start to negotiate. If they say "no" what they are really saying is "I don't know" use a diffrent angle or sweeten the pot for them a little more. Make them say no at least 5 times.

You aren't asking for a free bike your asking for an exchange of goods.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Tom D. [imanbri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, imanbri, I think your request is completely reasonable. We foot the bill for a substantial portion of the major races held in Michigan, to the toon of tens of thousands of dollars annually. My CPA constantly reminds me "That is money you could put in your pocket..." But no money, no races.

Bike shops who support the sport do it for self-serving business reasons, but if that is their only motive they will be disappointed in their investment. It is not even close to a money maker. It is a charitable contribution. For someone who loves the sport and is devoted to maintaining the quality of events they will be pleased to offer their support. They will feel honored to play a small role.

I think what you are asking for is a bargain for the bike shop. I would imagine they will be thrilled to be involved. It is good of you to include them.

Good luck with your project!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply