Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The message or the messenger? [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On today's Fox & Friends, a conservative talking head (a former senior Trump campaign aide and president of the conservative group Citizens United) said to a(n assumed) talking head (a Democratic strategist and a black man):

Quote:
“You’re out of your cotton-picking mind!”

What adult, supposedly educated US citizen would either not know how that is not the right thing to say to a black man, or has so little self-control as to say it anyway?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: The message or the messenger? [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
I'm in the 3rd percentile for height, a... fly completely over the heads ... or haven't taken the time to actually listen to the experiences of others.

Listening and confused.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: The message or the messenger? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
klehner wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:
I'm in the 3rd percentile for height, and my blood boils every time some motherfucker who's not one of my close friends calls me "buddy" like I'm some child just because I'm short. My close friends call me buddy and it has an entirely different meaning, but there's baggage attached from people who simply use it as a sort of insult or superiority move. It doesn't carry the same weight of history as your example, but I think these situations sometimes fly completely over the heads of those who either haven't experienced it first hand or haven't taken the time to actually listen to the experiences of others.

swimwithstones wrote:
It's just like a white man calling a black man "boy." The expression is innocuous in itself, but it comes with so much baggage attached that a much broader meaning is conveyed whether you meant it or not.

I think you should probably chill a bit on that one. I had to google “buddy derogatory” to figure out what in the world you were talking about. Just because you take offense to something doesn’t mean everyone else knows what in the world you’re actually taking offense to.

I do bite my tongue at work when non-native-English speakers use the term "final solution" to a technical problem, knowing that they just don't know the context that makes it a taboo phrase.

See that doesn’t even bother me because the context is completely different. I think everyone would do a lot better overall if they assumed the best when people phrase things instead of assume the worst. Especially in places like work. There is such an age range for people at work, most people aren’t going to know specific meanings for sayings unless they’re an urban dictionary guru.

Yeah, I had to google it just to make sure I knew what the reference was to. I would guess most under 40 would not have a clue. Just asked my 22 yr old if the phrase meant anything to her, and she said no and I think she is pretty well educated.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: The message or the messenger? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
klehner wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:
I'm in the 3rd percentile for height, and my blood boils every time some motherfucker who's not one of my close friends calls me "buddy" like I'm some child just because I'm short. My close friends call me buddy and it has an entirely different meaning, but there's baggage attached from people who simply use it as a sort of insult or superiority move. It doesn't carry the same weight of history as your example, but I think these situations sometimes fly completely over the heads of those who either haven't experienced it first hand or haven't taken the time to actually listen to the experiences of others.

swimwithstones wrote:
It's just like a white man calling a black man "boy." The expression is innocuous in itself, but it comes with so much baggage attached that a much broader meaning is conveyed whether you meant it or not.

I think you should probably chill a bit on that one. I had to google “buddy derogatory” to figure out what in the world you were talking about. Just because you take offense to something doesn’t mean everyone else knows what in the world you’re actually taking offense to.

I do bite my tongue at work when non-native-English speakers use the term "final solution" to a technical problem, knowing that they just don't know the context that makes it a taboo phrase.

See that doesn’t even bother me because the context is completely different. I think everyone would do a lot better overall if they assumed the best when people phrase things instead of assume the worst. Especially in places like work. There is such an age range for people at work, most people aren’t going to know specific meanings for sayings unless they’re an urban dictionary guru.

Yeah, I had to google it just to make sure I knew what the reference was to. I would guess most under 40 would not have a clue. Just asked my 22 yr old if the phrase meant anything to her, and she said no and I think she is pretty well educated.

Same. I assumed that was what it was referring to but couldn’t be 100 percent sure. If someone said that in the context of any business conversation I’d never think anything other than it being one of a few solutions to an issue and this was the last one they had.
Quote Reply
Re: The message or the messenger? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
I have a friend who is paralyzed from the waist down from a car accident 25 years ago. He says that it they developed a cure for his condition from embryonic stem cells obtained because of an abortion he wouldn't take it. Considering his mom went to jail for protesting in front of an abortion clinic I believe him.

I wonder if another company than took that research and developed the exact same solution using placenta if he would take that?

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:

Ask her what the phrase "Never forget" means to her.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: The message or the messenger? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Same. I assumed that was what it was referring to but couldn’t be 100 percent sure. If someone said that in the context of any business conversation I’d never think anything other than it being one of a few solutions to an issue and this was the last one they had.

Pretty close to 100% of Jews of any age have a common understanding what this phrase represents. This goes back to cultural sensitivity. How many people under 40 even know who Erwin Rommel was?

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
If Mengele discovered the cure for cancer would we avoid it?

Really have never looked into this. I would think, someone has reviewed his research, so they know what he learned? Which really is the first mistake, cause now the knowledge is out there. If we really believed it should not be used, wouldn't it all have just been destroyed. If that happened maybe he did have the cure for cancer?

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know for sure. Likely he would

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The exact same words can have radically different meaning depending on who said them.

Imagine Obama saying, "White people have done a lot of harm they need to answer for."

Now imagine Trump saying, "White people have done a lot of harm they need to answer for."

Even the if you agree with the first statement, you have to accept that it's more inflammatory than the second and carries different meaning and subtext. It doesn't make the statement any more right or wrong, but if you're going to read those same words differently depending on the context of how they were said.
Quote Reply
Re: The message or the messenger? [swimwithstones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimwithstones wrote:

Now imagine Trump saying, "White people have done a lot of harm they need to answer for."

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply

Prev Next