Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Critique My Race Plan - Long Course Bike/Run
Quote | Reply
Racing a long course Bike/Run this weekend and was looking for some feedback on my race plan.

The bike is 56 km pancake flat and the run is 15 kms also very flat.

Weather forecast is for light rain and 65-70 degrees. I perform much better in cooler temps, but will have arm warmers and compression calf sleeves if needed. No swim so I can have these on at the start of the bike.

I expect my bike split to be in the 1:30 range and my race plan is:
  • gel with caffeine 15 minutes before the race starts
  • take in a total of 90 grams of carbs via maple syrup (raced two successful 70.3s with maple syrup) - 3 x 30 grams at the 15, 45 and 75 minute mark of the bike
  • otherwise only water - full Xlab Torpedo (750 ml) to start the race and 1 bottle fill of water at the bottle drop (30 km mark)
  • I race with a power meter and am fairly confident about my current CP60 - plan to pace at between 82 to 85% depending on how I feel - cooler temps so may push closer to 85%

For the run, I expect my run split to be around 1:05:
  • gel at the 15 minute and have a 2nd available for the 45 minute mark depending on how I feel
  • water in a hand bottle to drink as needed and top-up at every water station
  • pace for the run is tougher - either start out at my open HM pace for the first 5 kms to get settled and the speed up for the 2nd half or go out at a pace between my open HM and 10 K and hold on as long as I can

My bike training has been fairly consistent over the past 3 or 4 months - 2 hour long ride, with a 1 hour threshold workout and 1 hour VO2 workout

Running has been a bit more sporadic, but usually 3 runs per week with average volume in the 25 to 35 km range. 5 long runs in the 13 to 16 km range.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply