Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Which fast tires are easiest to install? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

A double layer of Stan's is what I use on rims. I don't think you can get anything thinner that works well.

I agree. Rim tape makes a bigger difference. Stans is the best.

Velox is the worst I've used, as far as the ease of installing a tire.
Quote Reply
Re: Which fast tires are easiest to install? [Jimmw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have Novatec R5s and the 4000s were the easiest damn things to install on them. The front literally felt like it slipped right on and the back needed a tiny bit of coaxing, but still like butter. However, they were hard as fuck to install on some old aluminum Mavic's.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a really tough time getting the Conti GP 4000s II also with full toolset in my own home. Can't imagine how much of a pain it'd be if I caught a flat in the wild.
Quote Reply
Re: Which fast tires are easiest to install? [devx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What wheels and rim tape if you don’t mind me asking?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same thing with new rims, new contis....even starting at valve side and pulling tyre to center... Nothing worked..... I even broke 2 plastic tyre levers trying to lift the thread over... Was scratching my head, even bought a metal tyre lever to keep in my kit.... But in the end i put a tiny bit of chain oil on the rim edge and also the tyre edge.... Bam, could just get it on with plastic levers and thumbs!!

The tyres are great though, reinstalling is much easier than installing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's your wheels, not the tires that are the issue. Try Conti's on something like a Zipp 404 and you will find them easy to install and remove. Try Conti's on a Reynolds aluminum rim and prepare for a hard time. Just depends on the rim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know very little about bikes and even less about bike tires. If bike tires are anything like other tri equipment...

There is an inverse relationship between the speed of tire and its ease of installation.
Quote Reply

Prev Next