Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: About that $15/hour wage for fast food workers ... [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I worked at a competitor to McD’s, the one with the golden arcs. I started on floors and trash. Then I moved up to washing lettuce. After that, it was the fryer. If I’d had stayed for a few more years, I’d have been promoted to assistant manager. That’s when the big bucks roll in.

That's right, Louie! ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: About that $15/hour wage for fast food workers ... [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe you should have stayed, at least on the left coast here:

https://www.usatoday.com/...rts-show/1065434001/
Quote Reply
Re: About that $15/hour wage for fast food workers ... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
The self serve kiosks are a pain in the ass. It's much faster to place your order with a real, live human.

True, but people suck. I like the self-serve kiosks. I've only used them a couple of times and I didn't find it very fast but at least I don't have to talk to anyone.
Quote Reply
Re: About that $15/hour wage for fast food workers ... [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
BLeP wrote:
The self serve kiosks are a pain in the ass. It's much faster to place your order with a real, live human.

True, but people suck. I like the self-serve kiosks. I've only used them a couple of times and I didn't find it very fast but at least I don't have to talk to anyone.

I don’t have any experience with self serve kiosks at fast food joints. But ordering coffee and a breakfast sandy through the Starbucks mobile app is the most simple and convenient process ever. Being able to just walk inside and see it already made and sitting on the counter waiting for me, while cutting in front the entire fucking city that is queued up either in the drive thru or waiting for their order inside is priceless.
Quote Reply
Re: About that $15/hour wage for fast food workers ... [ChrisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've wondered how often those app orders walk away with someone that was not the purchaser. At my local SB, no one is paying attention to all those orders sitting on the counter. It would be so easy to grab your order and a couple of others and walk out.
Quote Reply
Re: About that $15/hour wage for fast food workers ... [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Brownie28 wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:

I honestly had to look up what a Big Mac is, but the word “Big” had me wondering if it was the same burger as in the article. It wasn’t. Two burgers and middle bun. Burger in article was standard. Since I had no idea what a Big Mac was I think that gives away my answer to your question!

As an aside I did search what was the most often ordered fast food items and Big Mac was #1 or #2 on every list I saw. Learn something new every day. Not always useful, but new nonetheless!

Order a Big Mac someday then order a single-patty burger for a legit place (Five Guys, let's say)....tell me the Big Mac is 1. bigger or 2. better.

Big Mac's have two thin, frozen beef patties that might not add up to the beef they have on a 'real' burger. The bun in the middle just adds more of the shit people don't want on a burger: bread.

My point is, the Big Mac is the most comparable McDonald's item to a 'real' burger, hence using that to compare against this $6 burger in San Fran. When I got to Five Guys around me (Boston), I pay $6 for a burger.

I am going to take your word on the Big Mac. Despite Blep's assertion in the post before yours, there is a reason why I am not familiar with McDonald's menu. I am very familiar with Five Guys menu though. Good burger. Fries are better.

I wouldn't eat McD's unless all other options were exhausted. But here is a pic of a real life big mac.

I would gladly take the $6 robot made burger over this.
Quote Reply
Re: About that $15/hour wage for fast food workers ... [Trieatalot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trieatalot wrote:
I've wondered how often those app orders walk away with someone that was not the purchaser. At my local SB, no one is paying attention to all those orders sitting on the counter. It would be so easy to grab your order and a couple of others and walk out.

That’s a good point. But it has never happened to any of my orders yet.
Quote Reply
Re: About that $15/hour wage for fast food workers ... [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A-A-Ron wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
Brownie28 wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:

I honestly had to look up what a Big Mac is, but the word “Big” had me wondering if it was the same burger as in the article. It wasn’t. Two burgers and middle bun. Burger in article was standard. Since I had no idea what a Big Mac was I think that gives away my answer to your question!

As an aside I did search what was the most often ordered fast food items and Big Mac was #1 or #2 on every list I saw. Learn something new every day. Not always useful, but new nonetheless!

Order a Big Mac someday then order a single-patty burger for a legit place (Five Guys, let's say)....tell me the Big Mac is 1. bigger or 2. better.

Big Mac's have two thin, frozen beef patties that might not add up to the beef they have on a 'real' burger. The bun in the middle just adds more of the shit people don't want on a burger: bread.

My point is, the Big Mac is the most comparable McDonald's item to a 'real' burger, hence using that to compare against this $6 burger in San Fran. When I got to Five Guys around me (Boston), I pay $6 for a burger.

I am going to take your word on the Big Mac. Despite Blep's assertion in the post before yours, there is a reason why I am not familiar with McDonald's menu. I am very familiar with Five Guys menu though. Good burger. Fries are better.

I wouldn't eat McD's unless all other options were exhausted. But here is a pic of a real life big mac.

Wow, would you like any fixings with that bread?
Quote Reply
Re: About that $15/hour wage for fast food workers ... [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No doubt this is the direction we are going though. It was going to happen whether minimum wage was $15 or $7.25.

I'm not sure that's the case. This level of significant automation isn't cheap, and it's often one of those things that business owners will put off until it becomes necessary, as it's not necessarily the same as, say, swapping out light bulbs for more energy efficient ones, where the cost differential isn't that significant and can be recuperated in the short run. Sometimes it takes some shock to the business to push it toward more automation. A significant increase in the minimum wage may be such a shock. Another could be a recession. I suspect all it will take is the next recession to radically alter the workforce.

To some extent, I think this ties in to the universal basic income thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
A-A-Ron wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
Brownie28 wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:

Wow, would you like any fixings with that bread?

I want to know what McD's that person went to that had real plates.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: About that $15/hour wage for fast food workers ... [ChrisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisT wrote:
Trieatalot wrote:

That’s a good point. But it has never happened to any of my orders yet.
I think people are much more honest and ethical than we generally give them credit for. There are definitely people who will steal in this situation, and I think the type of people who would steal once would do it multiple times - in which case the store would likely hear about it and eventually catch the person. But 99% of people would NOT steal like this.

Regardless, if stealing online/app orders became an issue the store would figure out a solution - could be as simple as leaving the orders behind the counter and the person ordering has to show their online receipt to get their order.
Quote Reply
Re: About that $15/hour wage for fast food workers ... [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
I'm not sure that's the case. This level of significant automation isn't cheap, and it's often one of those things that business owners will put off until it becomes necessary, as it's not necessarily the same as, say, swapping out light bulbs for more energy efficient ones, where the cost differential isn't that significant and can be recuperated in the short run. Sometimes it takes some shock to the business to push it toward more automation. A significant increase in the minimum wage may be such a shock. Another could be a recession. I suspect all it will take is the next recession to radically alter the workforce.

To some extent, I think this ties in to the universal basic income thread.
I started another thread about the Universal Basic Income as a response to AI/automation and the podcast discussion that inspired the thread hit on this exact idea: we won't know just how fucked our economy really is, as it relates to job loss due to automation, until we hit a recession. Once businesses are forced to either trim the fat or go out of business we'll see just how much progress robots and automation has made in the past decade. I almost want a recession to hit NOW, to get a preview into what our economy is evolving into, rather than another 5 years with that much more technological advancement. It's scary to think about how much can be replaced TODAY with a little money and tech, how much further will things be 5 or 10 years from now?
Quote Reply
Re: About that $15/hour wage for fast food workers ... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The self serve kiosks are a pain in the ass. It's much faster to place your order with a real, live human. "

It depends. Wawa and Sheetz have had these for years now, and they are great. Walk up, punch a bunch of buttons, and then go pay. Come back and get your food.

Panera tried it is just confusing. Maybe its too many options, or maybe the menu is just poorly designed. Don't know.

Like anything, I'm sure it will find its place. I would think fast food would be that place.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: About that $15/hour wage for fast food workers ... [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am talking specifically about McDicks. I have no idea what a wawa or a sheetz is.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am very familiar with Five Guys menu though. Good burger.

For the record, Hambergur from Five Guys Westborough, S.F., Cal., is $6.99.

I have trouble saying or writing ambergur, like this guy:

Steve Martin

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply

Prev Next