Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

RIP Charles Krauthammer
Quote | Reply
News just coming over the wires that the conservative commentator and pundit of immense rhetorical skill has died. He'd notified all of his impending passage just a couple weeks ago after ending his year-long battle with incurable cancer.

https://twitter.com/.../1009918886383357953

Edited to add: The comment stream beneath the WaPo writer's notice is disheartening, to say the least.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Last edited by: big kahuna: Jun 21, 18 15:27
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Charles Krauthammer [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you may have missed this thread. he was a gentleman.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Charles Krauthammer [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
you may have missed this thread. he was a gentleman.

No, I saw and read the thread. I just felt it appropriate now to remark singly on his passing. He was, indeed, a gentleman and one with whom one could disagree on an ideological basis and still like his commentary immensely because of the quality of his thought and writing. I don't know of a single person of liberal bent with whom he shared a debate forum who didn't like or respect him, and he them.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pictures of this guy always look like a shadowy oil painting. Like a bizarre portrait,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He was one of the last of a dying breed.

Molly Ivins, George Will, Jack Germond, Morton Kondracke, Fred Barnes, Robert Novak, Elenore Clift, Cal Thomas, even that nutty Pat Buchanan - these are the folks I few up watching/reading. Civil discourse of ideas, along with a free press, is at the bedrock of a healthy republic. I miss those days.

And you’re correct about the comments section. It’s the dearth of discourse. It’s the worst of free speech - of ourselves. Don’t click it. It always dissapoints.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
News just coming over the wires that the conservative commentator and pundit of immense rhetorical skill has died. He'd notified all of his impending passage just a couple weeks ago after ending his year-long battle with incurable cancer.

Edited to add: The comment stream beneath the WaPo writer's notice is disheartening, to say the least.
I find it interesting how many people feel the need to say 'I didn't agree with his politics but...' - as though simply posting a message of condolence wouldn't work without the caveat that he was a filthy conservative.

He was my dad's favorite political writer, hopefully they're hanging out up there right now.
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Charles Krauthammer [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

I find it interesting how many people feel the need to say 'I didn't agree with his politics but...' - as though simply posting a message of condolence wouldn't work without the caveat that he was a filthy conservative.

He was my dad's favorite political writer, hopefully they're hanging out up there right now.

I hear what you're saying but I don't believe that most folks mention that to discount his opinions. Often, I think it's intended to show greater respect, not less. In other words: "I disagree with him but he was so well thought and reasoned... I feel more informed for his thoughts and am glad I read them." Or, to put in a more common context - sports. When a legendary player dies/retires and fans from rival teams pay respect as deserved. i.e. - "I'm an XYZ fan here. While I hated what this player did on the field against my team. I always respected the way he/she played and wished he/she was on my team". (See retirement of Jason Witten for an example.)
Quote Reply